The Vinyl Thread

The Nal

I knew something was delayed in the post but not what.

Today a first pressing of tonight's the night turned up!! Looks like my last day off is gonna consist of getting blasted listening to maudling Shakey!!

Did you get it on its own or part of the Trilogy?

Pay day tomorrow, it did not feel good to be looking at Modest Mouse's merch table the other night, with all of their LPs being sold for £15 a pop, and me only having £20 to my name. To the record shop tomorrow.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a couple of bits; not bought any in ages!

Old Spiritual Beggars album "Ad Astra" on purple vinyl - Hard, bluesy, stoner kinda rock.  Shed loads of awesome riffs and great keys.  

New Vintage Caravan LP "Arrival".  Bunch of Icelandic kids peddling uber 70's inspired bluesy hard rock.  Not exactly innovative but they do it well!

Now eyeing up a bunch of stuff on pre-order; new Clutch LP, new Kadavar (Sabbath worshipping hard rock from Berlin) and new Monster Magnet "re-imagining" of one of their old albums which could be mighty good fun!

Have 90's era copies of Post and Homogenic. How do the newies sound?

I'm afraid my ears aren't well trained enough to know if it's the upgrade from 256kps sound through middling headphones to 180g vinyl through a decent stereo system and speakers, but they sound bloody wonderful to me. Most noticeable was Vespertine, I've got completely engrossed with each listen since buying this LP. I've got Debut, Homogenic and Vespertine so far, going to aim for Volta, Post, Biophillia (never listened to these in full before) and Medulla across my next few pay days and hope they don't all get snapped up. I really love Vulnicura, but the horrible cover for the LP keeps putting me off.

I'm afraid my ears aren't well trained enough to know if it's the upgrade from 256kps sound through middling headphones to 180g vinyl through a decent stereo system and speakers, but they sound bloody wonderful to me. Most noticeable was Vespertine, I've got completely engrossed with each listen since buying this LP. I've got Debut, Homogenic and Vespertine so far, going to aim for Volta, Post, Biophillia (never listened to these in full before) and Medulla across my next few pay days and hope they don't all get snapped up. I really love Vulnicura, but the horrible cover for the LP keeps putting me off.

The green vinyl Homogenic would be essential if I didn't already have a lovely copy. Might have a lookout for Debut and Vespertine tho, nice one.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning to rip a couple of records onto mp3. I've been recommended Audacious as the best programme to do it with, can anybody vouch for it, or know any better (free) ones? Really I'm just concerned with the ease of doing it. Sound quality isn't a massive deal because I'll only have stuff on an ipod for the train or in work, or to burn onto CDs for the car. So they just need to be passable as they'll always be played from small speakers/headphones with loads of background noise.

• 1 month later...

Weighing up a Pioneer PL30 http://www.richersounds.com/product/turntables/pioneer/pl30/pion-pl30

Anyone any experience with these? Had been thinking of a Project Essential but know that due to faffage with changing the belt, I'd NEVER play any of my singles.

The belt is handy enough to change to plays 45s. A simple lift and move, takes literally two seconds.

Unless you're a heavy handed vandal. Like my missus.

*from the other room*

"errrr...... something happened with the record player...."

Edited by The Nal

The belt is handy enough to change to plays 45s. A simple lift and move, takes literally two seconds.

Unless you're a heavy handed vandal. Like my missus.

*from the other room*

"errrr...... something happened with the record player...."

:D

I know but pressing a switch is much more me.

Pay day, I picked up the new East India Youth LP, set me back £20 so I restrained myself from getting Post by Bjork for £11. But I have no lasting willpower, so I'll probably end up going back for it tomorrow. I've got real life shit that I need to pay for, why does nobody ever stop me?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just spunked money i can ill afford on a lovely reissue of one of the greatest albums ever, The Magnetic Fields '69 Love Songs' on 6 10" discs. Out tomorrow. Can't wait to settle down with it when I'm back in the UK at Christmas. God, I love that record