New Records 2013

Guest RedRockRick

Night Beds: Country Sleep

I rather like this. This sounds like a composite of a lot of albums/artists I'm not impartial to (eg. Bon Iver, etc). Is this a formula? They've all got beards, right? Besides, I'm fond of the packaging on these Deep Oceans releases.

quality-seal.jpg

Edited by RedRockRick

The Leisure Society - All Aboard the Ark. Have only listenend to it once but it sounds like the old LS in some places, with a few more "boisterous" tracks thrown in. If you love the Leisure Society you won't be disappointed. I still think that they are a great live band but they do not seem to have surpassed the first album or Last of The Melting Snow.

KURT VILE: Wakin On a Pretty Daze

This just goes to prove the well-established and undeniable fact that there's a definite time and place to listen to certain records. I stuck this on last night at 3.00 a.m. and it sounded repetitve and monotonous. Today on this bright and sunny morning, all coffeed-up, it's insidious.

Value-Beat-Maker-Software.jpg

Steve Earle: The Low Highway

Best known for his supporting role in acclaimed TV series The Wire and as father of the more famous Justin Townes Earle, Steve turns his hand to making a record of his own and really, it all turns out rather well.

OK, OK the last few albums have been allright but there's been a certain sense of treading water; this however is the strongest thing he's put out in years - excellent, and, yes, banjoes can be heard too.

quality-street-tin-pack.jpg

• 3 months later...

Rapid recent record purchase review (the 3 1/2 Rs to you)

Deadstring Brothers: Cannery Row

Shock horror return to form!!! As a long time follower of DS live and on record over the past ten years, I confess to having approached this with a sense of foreboding. The recent records have been turgid, and the live shows a shambles with the band assembled latterly (pretty much) on the day of the gig. I don't think it's a case of me approaching this from a low expectation base, but this is right on the money. Welcome back, Kurt!

Charlie Boyer & The Voyeurs: Clarietta

I bought this (amongst other purchases) from Spillers In Cardiff in the course of queuing for Bruce in an attempt to impress the rather cool assistant with my own brand of , uh, coolness. Sadly, she must have listened to this and come to the same conclusion as to its rather laboured unoriginality as me, because it didn't work.

Ruth Moody: These Wilder Things

I love The Wailin' Jennys so it's no wonder I think this great. Not a duff moment, and a wonderfully spry and spare version of Dancing In The Dark. She opened for Mark Knopfler on his recent tour, and it's no surprise people were getting up and leaving in their thousands at the end of her set.

Dawes: Stories Don't End

Much as I like Dawes live, I find them fairly resistible on record there's too much of a "look-how-cleverly-we've-shaped-this-lyric" touch for me. This record has one or two nice bits, but it's pretty dull overall, and there's a distinct sound of water being trod.

Houndmouth: From The Hills Below The City

There's a lot of this kind of stuff being put out at the moment, from the supposedly cow-punky Shovels and Rope to the conveniently and expeditiously reformed Civil Wars (funny how their name seems all part of some marketing scheme) but this I really like, and I'm hoping they won't fall foul of the clashfinder at EOTR.

Sara Petite: Circus Comes To Time

As country as I like it, and this is great stuff: heavy rotation.

• 2 weeks later...