New Records 2013

Guest RedRockRick

I am Kloot - Let it all in coming my way next week but streaming now...........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/2013/jan/14/i-am-kloot-let-it-all-in-stream

Strange how we can be similar but so very different Ricky slags off Sigur Ros whilst extolling the virtues of Yo La Tengo - who for me are the most pointlessly "art for art's sake" band I've ever investigated because of EOTR........ho hum....

gary-coleman-as-arnold-diffrent-strokes-

Already been some great stuff this year...

Yo La Tengo is superb

Enjoying Serafina Steer too

Matthew E White is a corker

Villagers - '{Awayland}' is getting better and better

Other stuff that I'm still making my mind up about but which sounds promising so far....

Broadcast 'Berberian Sound System'

Alasdair Roberts & Friends - A Wonder Working Stone

Arbouretum 'Coming Out Of The Fog'

Dutch Uncles 'Out Of Touch In The Wild'

And we're still not out of January. :yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

The good stuff just keeps on coming...

ON AN ON
Esben And The Witch

Arbouretum

Dutch Uncles

Everything Everything

Alasdair Roberts & Friends

Matthew E White

Villagers

Serafina Steer

Foxygen

Broadcast

Rick Redbeard
Hurray For The Riff Raff
Frightened Rabbit
Foals
Richard Thompson
Christopher Owens
My Bloody Valentine
Veronica Falls
Unknown Mortal Orchestra
Guards

Push_the_Sky_Away.jpg

My instant reaction to my first listen of the new Bad Seeds album is very positive. I'm not normally so keen on Nick Cave's slower ballad-y stuff but this is so atmospheric and dark that it takes it to a whole new level. Quite claustrophobic but somehow it still feels really compelling and strangely enjoyable. I can't remember feeling so positive about a new Nick Cave album - normally my first reaction is a bit underwhelmed and then they sneak up on me and mug me when I'm least expecting it. This one has grabbed me by the neck and wrestled me down into a warm bath of Nick Cave magic on first listen. Goddamn. He's good isn't he?

I bought a really nice limited edition of the Nick Cave, packaged in a hardbacked book of lyrics and pics, with a bonus DVD containing 2 videos, oddly enough, of songs not on the record. Anyway, I agree, it's a beauty.

Also finding it hard to stop listening to the Anais Mitchell/Jefferson Hamer album of 'The Child Ballads' which I'm also looking forward to seeing them perform in Gateshead Library in a couple of weeks!

However, I've got a sneaking feeling that the album of the year may be the one which I just found out about and will soon be rattling me windows - 'Five Lives Left' - a 2-CD Family Cat anthology! Now where did that come from?!?

BRING ME THE HEAD OF MICHAEL PORTILLO

Villagers is a beautiful album, you missed hearing some of the new songs last year on the garden stage, i cried, such a perfect end to end of the road!

Particularly enjoying RRR's reviews esp the emporers new clothes.

Riverlodge deduct 10 points for not reading all the posts, mind you some peoples are a bit yawn.

Miss you all x

• 1 month later...

Scattergun record reviews:

Frontier Ruckus: Eternity Of Dimming

I was trawling through my camera the other day and I came across a series of photos of a band I couldn't put a name to. Eventually I worked out it was this lot, playing the Lexington. And that's about it: they're just not very memorable or distinctive. Guys, if you clearly haven't got enough good stuff in the locker to put out a decent single album, why do a double?

Caitlin Rose: The Stand-In

I think me and this record get off on the wrong foot. The cover is plastic and the opener is horrible. Things pick up after this, I like Caitlin Rose, and there's some good stuff on here, but it's gone to the racks early.

Anais Mitchell & Jefferson Hamer: Child Ballads

I don't jump on the Anais Mitchell bandwagon and I'm happy to keep her at arms length. FP apart,I confess to groaning when I see the words "Sir Patrick Spens" . Murder ballads next please.

Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell: Old Yellow Moon

Rodney Crowell is an absolute hero and this re-union should have sparkled, but, one or two numbers apart, it's just too nice and cosy. I hope Rodney's kept the good stuff back for his next album.

John Fullbright: From The Ground Up

Hailed as the coming man of alt. country, I sort of expected him to be added to the EOTR line-up in that troublesome Doug Paisley niche slot. Some worthy people guesting on this (Jess Klein, Andrew Hardin, Fats Kaplin) helps it have it's moments but there's a little way to go yet. Good live, though.

Phosphorescent: Muchacho

A new album was very much overdue, and here it is, but I'm not sure I'm 100% convinced: for me, those synthy beaty bits are a touch irksome, and the good stuff sounds a little like a retread of parts of Here's to Taking It Easy. It's perfectly OK, but I'd expected more.

quality%20CONTROL.jpg