pregnant at Glasto, any advice?

Guest mrs.f

I have been to Glastonbury a good few times now, but this is the first time i will be pregnant for the festival. We usually camp in family camping as we have a little girl already and this is usually great, but we never manage to get into the one near the kids field, even the year we queued from 6am on the wednesday it still wasn't early enough! The problem being that the other one is quite a long walk from everything and i will be a good 7months pregnant by the time of the festival. So basically i am looking for some advice, i am trying to limit the amount of trecking i will have to do whilst improving comfort on the sleeping front. can anyone give me any advice on how close the campervan parking is, i've heard it's really quite a treck in, also could you recommend any camping beds or anything that would be more comfy that sleeping on a therma rest on the floor which is what we usually do in our tent. Obviously ideally a tipi would be perfect at they are so close to everything, but budgetwise they are totally out of the question for us unfortunately. Any and all advice gratefully received!

Hello Mrs F. :bye: I was 8 months pregnant when I went in 2010 and as the husband and I like a slightly more peaceful nights sleep we kipped in Woodsies, which is next to the west side family camping. Personally we found this location fine, when we left in the morning we generally didn't go back until the evening and so long as the pace was slow (with very many rest stops - it was a proper heatwave that year!) everything was fine. We slept in a 2 man tent with roll mats and sleeping bags and I wouldn't do that again, my husband is not a small man and obviously I was a big whale at this point. In 2011 we went with our 11 month old and camped in west side family camping, this time I took a thick duvet to sleep on and covered me and the baby with the unzipped sleeping bag and a blanket. It was a bit of a job to carry it all though, we had one of those big green pull along carts to lug all our stuff around in. This year we're doing it a bit different, we'll be going with the youngest who will be three months old by June and are paying a bit more for one of the Worthy View scout tents for us three. That way the car park is nearby and so it won't matter so much if I want to drag the duvet along again. Apparently there is a VERY steep hill to get to the campsite though, so may be a bit of a job if you're heavily pregnant. I'll have the kid in a sling so I'll probably be lumbering along too but I've found in the past so long as the pace is slowed a bit there won't be any issues! :-)

Ok, great, good advice, we looked at worthy hill but with a bump and nearly 3 year old we thought the hill might cause issues. Wouldn't want to slip in the mud! We have looked into those fishermans chairs for sleeping on so I don't have to get up and down from the floor but with my poor husband having to carry everything, apparently they're quite heavy so we've ruled those out. We're still undecided about a campervan - further to walk but worth it for the comfort?

We debated a campervan too, no first hand experience I'm afraid but certainly the nights sleep would be a lot more comfortable! Oo I'm showing my ignorance now with a fishermans chair...I know there are some stalls at the festival that sell things like duvets/camp beds/air beds, usually at an inflated price but I guess if it means you/your husband doesn't need to carry it in that could be a bonus? I'm sure the slightly longer walk taken from the campervan site would be offset by the comfy nights sleep. Perhaps someone will be along with some first hand advice!

Lol, thanks, I'm hoping not to need them! I'm planning on taking it nice and easy. We've used the wonderful medical services of Glastonbury before when my husband's filling fell out! They were awsome! Think we are now leaning towards campervan or similar. Think the decent sleep is worth it.

My wife was 7 months pregnant in 2010 and we camped in campervan East. She didn't find the walking around too bad but then we didn't overdo it and just took lots of rest stops. I know she definitely appreciated the extra space and the comfy bed you get from bring in a camper though. The hill of death isn't really all that bad and she coped with it fine, we just stopped half way up each night so she could catch her breath. The family CV areas are closer to the gate too so once your at the top of the hill you won't have far to walk back to the van.

We'll back back this year with our nearly 3 year old and our 8 month old.

My wife was 7 months pregnant in 2010 and we camped in campervan East. She didn't find the walking around too bad but then we didn't overdo it and just took lots of rest stops. I know she definitely appreciated the extra space and the comfy bed you get from bring in a camper though. The hill of death isn't really all that bad and she coped with it fine, we just stopped half way up each night so she could catch her breath. The family CV areas are closer to the gate too so once your at the top of the hill you won't have far to walk back to the van.

We'll back back this year with our nearly 3 year old and our 8 month old.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Like yourself I have been many times but this is my first pregnant and I will be 36 1/2 weeks. I have spoken to some, who have been in a similar situation. I will be taking a campervan and have just brought east site as we are coming from London. There is a steep hill but weather permitting shouldn't be an issue if you take lots of breaks and have someone to help if it gets a little wet. Hope you have a good time what ever way you decide to camp. I would recommend tesco airbed they are only £10-£20, are very comfortable and only require a little top up or air.

Good luck with the pregnancy.

Never been to Glasto before and this year we got tickets....

Even worse though - wife is pregnant - due 10th July. Not quite so simple though - chances are she'll be having a C section sometime mid-june. To be confirmed.

So, they'll be either very pregnant or just had. Luckily, if its option 2 we've got a nice family member to babysit for a few days (will prob show up fri am and go home sun evening).

We wont be camping - probably caravan. Or hotel. Still lots of hassle.

Going to pay this week, see how it goes, and how things are by cancellation deadline. Also, possibly pay for the insurance just in case (not sure how good it is).

Weather she copes will be down to your misses etc but I think it would be a struggle after the c-section to be honest. I know my wife is very strong willed and she was determined to get back to normal after her c-section back in November however she did find it fairly hard going and she got very tired very easily even walking fairly short distances for a good week or two after the birth. Plus once the babies here there was nothing that would have torn me away from her for that length of time that early on in their life!

If she can go full term it's doable but it'll be really hard work. I'm normally the strongest advocate for people still going to Glasto when preggers but I think that close to either due date is really tough on her and you'd probably be better of missing it this year and watching it from your sofa!

Weather she copes will be down to your misses etc but I think it would be a struggle after the c-section to be honest. I know my wife is very strong willed and she was determined to get back to normal after her c-section back in November however she did find it fairly hard going and she got very tired very easily even walking fairly short distances for a good week or two after the birth. Plus once the babies here there was nothing that would have torn me away from her for that length of time that early on in their life!

If she can go full term it's doable but it'll be really hard work. I'm normally the strongest advocate for people still going to Glasto when preggers but I think that close to either due date is really tough on her and you'd probably be better of missing it this year and watching it from your sofa!

I'm currently 3 weeks post elective section and with the best will in the world, I don't think Glasto would be possible that soon after surgery. My recovery has been straight forward but my goodness you do feel it. In my experience it would be better to attend whilst still pregnant, assuming no pregnancy complications. The heaviness and awkwardness of late pregnancy is easier to deal with than post surgery pain/bleeding/medication in my experience. :-)

I'm currently 3 weeks post elective section and with the best will in the world, I don't think Glasto would be possible that soon after surgery. My recovery has been straight forward but my goodness you do feel it. In my experience it would be better to attend whilst still pregnant, assuming no pregnancy complications. The heaviness and awkwardness of late pregnancy is easier to deal with than post surgery pain/bleeding/medication in my experience. :-)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i was pregnant in 2012 so Glasto was off but I did do green man when I was 39 weeks. My best tip would be good shoes if you will be camping in the west side family camping area as that walk is long. Also visit the medical tent as soon as you get there and let them know.

In terms of sleeping I would put your thermarset under a blow up bed and take 2 pillows, one for your head and one for inbetween your knees to support your hips (If you don't do this you risk SPD with all the walking you will be doing)- it is going to be a nighmare to carry it all though!

Pack a little bag with sone snacks as you don't want your blood sugar getting low and make sure you always have water to hand.

Good Luck, 7 months pregnant and you should be ok, just be careful you don't skip and make sure you have hold of someone, don't be afraid to ask for help.

there will also be a yurt in the healing fields run by some midwives (we have been there for a few years now :bye: ) so feel free to drop in for a cuppa, a sleep or a chat. We will be offering belly casting, story teling, possibly yoga, massage or other pregnancy/birthy things depending on workers and weather.

Would love to see any preggie glasto goers :biggrin::biggrin: