The Smashing Pumpkins

Guest Porcelina

I've seen them three times since they reformed and I've enjoyed every gig. Disarm at leeds in 07 was majestic and when I saw them in Glasgow a few years back I finally got to see them play Mayonaise live which I never thought I'd see.

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going, but I think it'd be great to see them get a good spot at a major festival again. I saw them on their last UK tour and thought they were really tight as a band and sounded good, whereas the tour with Jimmy in 2008, they seemed to be going through the motions. They might not have played 1979, Today, Disarm, but they played stuff like Thru the Eyes of Ruby, For Martha and Soma, which I'd rather hear to be honest. Though for a festival set, it'd most likely be a greatest hits set and stuff from Oceania.

I don't think they're too heavy, they're certainly not as heavy as QOTSA. Got a few heavy ones, like BWBW, Zero, Cherub Rock etc., but the new album is quite proggy and spacey.

love to see them play glasto BUT...............

and wots this death list old son there is heavy music out there AC.DC SLIPKNOT ect they have there own festi .

i dont really class the pumpkins in the same category they rock but they have music same as QOTSA the FOOs and dare i say PEARL JAM...rock yes shouting distortion and just noise i dont think so old son

Smashing Pumpkins have their heavy moments but they have an equal amount of slow, dreamy songs. i'd say QOTSA are a lot more all-round heavy than SP. i definitely think they'd be able to headline Other - they might not be as big as they once were but i think at a festival like Glastonbury they'd go down a storm (depending on who they're up against, of course)

The 1997 Pumpkins performance was pretty guff. They were going through the motions somewhat by that point. The set list was not festival set IMO and it sadly turn me away from them massively. I was a huge fan before and was left totally underwhelmed by the whole thing.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-smashing-pumpkins/1997/worthy-farm-pilton-england-23d72c3b.html

The 1997 Pumpkins performance was pretty guff. They were going through the motions somewhat by that point. The set list was not festival set IMO and it sadly turn me away from them massively. I was a huge fan before and was left totally underwhelmed by the whole thing.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-smashing-pumpkins/1997/worthy-farm-pilton-england-23d72c3b.html

Slightly off topic here but was the Friday in 1997 the best day ever for the Pyramid? Irrespective of the sound problems that haunted the Probably and the gash that the Pumpkin's seem to have churned out, on paper the line up is a peach.

Probably

Pumpkins

Supergrass

Beck

Levellers

Terrorvision

Bunnymen

Phish

Note: Ive gotten dogs abuse from the Terrorvision lads for knockin' them in the past. Think '97 was before that Tequila panto act stuff so maybe it was tolerable.

Also, it seems Phish started with "Wilson" that morning. Wow.

They probably have more widely-recognised tracks than QOTSA and Siamese Dream and MCATIS are more popular albums, but there's probably less of a chance that they'd include most people's favourite stuff in a festival setlist.

That, coupled with with their inconsistency as a live act and the fact that most people consider Billy Corgan a bit of a laughing stock, might slim down their crowd a tad.

oh man she looks like a crack whore. horrible stuff

edit: just read up on her and apparently she does enjoy the odd tipple of crack so that makes sense

overall, in their entire careers, Smashing Pumpkins are obviously the more popular than QOTSA, but now, in their current forms, i don't know...

i still think SP would get a great crowd if they headlined Other. tbh, if Flaming Lips, a weird as f*ck psychedelic band with few real 'hits' can do it against U2, then Smashing Pumpkins definitely can. it might not be the 'original' Smashing Pumpkins, but there's been nothing but positive feedback from their latest shows (Billy definitely seems to have toned his ego down, live-wise anyway)

i sound like such a SP fanboy right now, and i'm really not. i just think they could do it and do it really well. whether they actually will is another story

Edited by FloorFiller

Slightly off topic here but was the Friday in 1997 the best day ever for the Pyramid? Irrespective of the sound problems that haunted the Probably and the gash that the Pumpkin's seem to have churned out, on paper the line up is a peach.

Probably

Pumpkins

Supergrass

Beck

Levellers

Terrorvision

Bunnymen

Phish

Note: Ive gotten dogs abuse from the Terrorvision lads for knockin' them in the past. Think '97 was before that Tequila panto act stuff so maybe it was tolerable.

Also, it seems Phish started with "Wilson" that morning. Wow.

I'm a massive Smashing Pumpkins fan (hence my username) but I'm not sure how much I'd want them at Glastonbury. I've seen them twice, the first time at Reading in 2007 they were great, but then I saw them again in Nottingham and Corgan had a tantrum and stormed off stage because he "wasn't feeling it".

Always been a bit apprehensive about seeing them since, especially as it's now billy and the lookalikes, bar the new drummer who looks about 12.

Edited by zero000