The Smashing Pumpkins

Guest Porcelina

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they big enough to headline The Other stage now? The Pumpkins are my second favourite band ever but their stock has certainly dropped in recent years especially since it's only Billy left. Really hope they do play though and I'd definitely be there.

Recent setlists don't look as good as what I saw, very Oceania heavy, I like Oceania, but there's such a thing as too much of it. However they are playing Tonight Tonight rather often, which I was gutted they didn't play, didn't play 1979 either but I wasn't expecting that so much.

No risk at all. I'd argue that Smashing Pumpkins were less of a risk than QOTSA or, say Arctic Monkeys.. They have an older audience, and every other song they release is not heavy (1979, disarm, Perfect, thirty three etc).

I'd love to see them, admittedly the output after Adore has been very suspect. But Siamese Dream is without doubt a classic 90s rock album.

You think? I can't see that myself. One half decent album 15 years ago? I dunno, but I think their appeal is really limited.

(mind, I'm notoriously bad at predicting this kind of stuff. I think it's fair to say I don't have my finger on the pulse)
Edited by Mardy

My concern is whether Billy would take a slot not headlining. He still strikes me as in it for the money/glory combo.

I might be wrong, but I'd still love em to play. Pretty glasto are aware of the success QotSA were late year and will look to replicate that, and the Pumpkins should be one of the bands on that list to be considered.

The 1997 Pumpkins performance was pretty guff. They were going through the motions somewhat by that point. The set list was not festival set IMO and it sadly turn me away from them massively. I was a huge fan before and was left totally underwhelmed by the whole thing.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-smashing-pumpkins/1997/worthy-farm-pilton-england-23d72c3b.html

I saw them on the "Siamese Dream" tour at Southampton Guildhall in about '94 and they were absolutely incredible. Came back for a second (genuine) encore and said they'd run out of songs; someone shouted out for a rock n roll classic (possibly Johnny B Goode I think but the memories hazy) and so they gave it a crack. One of the best gigs I ever saw.

Unfortunately, I've seen them a couple of times at festivals since then and the magic just wasn't there.