ZZ Top

Guest MichaelDoyle

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd always written them off as dreadful, based on their hits in the 80s, but I've started listening to them off the back of that 'gots to get paid song'. It's a hell of a tune, that. Interesting thing about them on the Guardian music podcast last month. I still generally find their type of music appaling, but there's definitely something special abut that song.

headlining the west holts stage would be best I think... they deserve a decent slot, and it kind of HAS to be dark for zed zed

I haven't seen them for a few years, and really would like to this time. I could go see them on the Monday before...

decisions, decisions...

I'd always written them off as dreadful, based on their hits in the 80s, but I've started listening to them off the back of that 'gots to get paid song'. It's a hell of a tune, that. Interesting thing about them on the Guardian music podcast last month. I still generally find their type of music appaling, but there's definitely something special abut that song.

yeah, precisely that. Unfortunately, the blues generally, and pretty much that kind of 'guitar music' (sorry, i can't really articulate it this morning, don't know the right terms, but I know it when I hear it) leaves me absolutely cold. Can't stand it. Sorry. I know I'm in the minority, but there you go.

But, much more importantly, that "Gots to get paid' is one of the best songs I've heard in an absolute age. And clearly they'd be a very good booking from what people are saying on here. Fair play to them.

I'm a sucker for any guitar player that exclaims "Have mercy!" at what they personally are about to unleash... Billy Gibbons has always struck me as his biggest fan. The groove just takes him and he never ceases to enjoy the sound emerging from the speaker.

Ace, basically.

I'd actually prefer to see them in the sun mid-afternoon than late at night.

Then I could imagine I'm at one of those massive 70s Southern Rock concerts you used to see on the Old Grey Whistle Test that always seemed to be held during the day.

If they play it'll be an unbelievable start to the weekend.

I'd actually prefer to see them in the sun mid-afternoon than late at night.

Then I could imagine I'm at one of those massive 70s Southern Rock concerts you used to see on the Old Grey Whistle Test that always seemed to be held during the day.

If they play it'll be an unbelievable start to the weekend.

yeah, precisely that. Unfortunately, the blues generally, and pretty much that kind of 'guitar music' (sorry, i can't really articulate it this morning, don't know the right terms, but I know it when I hear it) leaves me absolutely cold. Can't stand it. Sorry. I know I'm in the minority, but there you go.

mardy up here says he finds their music appalling... i just find their politics appalling, playing a few Republican fund-raisers or parties. they are Texans after all...

T. Blair points out some of their great mid to late 90's tunes (pin cushion, my head's in mississippi) for which i have a mutual appreciation for too

I was at the age where Eliminator was what introduced them to me, before i went back and discovered their more bluesy stuff. I loved Eliminator, it was the dawn of the MTV age and the videos were fantastic and that guitar sound on Gimme All Your Lovin' sounded great on the walkman. It wasn't that great of a deal at 13 when focusing on the riffs, but now you can only marvel at far ahead of the game that the Gibbons/Hill/Beard songwriting trio were lyrically vs. the Dylans, Costellos, Pearts of the world ... ("I got the six!...gimme 'yor' nine!") .

Summer of 83 in the US Zz top were just all over the radio and MTV. then later that year (or year after) they made an appearance on The Tube and i was waiting and waiting for (i vividly recall that The Cure on were the same show) to come on , them being the last act that Jools introduced.

only saw them once, Wembley Arena Afterburner tour in '86 (i even still have a tape bootleg that i picked up in the portobello road markets a decade or two back)

I often stick my little ones (3 and 1) in front of the computer and play them a series of You Tube videos, and 3-yr old always calls out for 'car video' for Gimme All Your Lovin while closely watching the ladies in the vid.

4pm Pyramid on the Friday someone mentioned, to let them get to Hamburg for next day in plenty of time. that'b be perfect.

mardy up here says he finds their music appalling... i just find their politics appalling, playing a few Republican fund-raisers or parties. they are Texans after all...

T. Blair points out some of their great mid to late 90's tunes (pin cushion, my head's in mississippi) for which i have a mutual appreciation for too

I was at the age where Eliminator was what introduced them to me, before i went back and discovered their more bluesy stuff. I loved Eliminator, it was the dawn of the MTV age and the videos were fantastic and that guitar sound on Gimme All Your Lovin' sounded great on the walkman. It wasn't that great of a deal at 13 when focusing on the riffs, but now you can only marvel at far ahead of the game that the Gibbons/Hill/Beard songwriting trio were lyrically vs. the Dylans, Costellos, Pearts of the world ... ("I got the six!...gimme 'yor' nine!") .

Summer of 83 in the US Zz top were just all over the radio and MTV. then later that year (or year after) they made an appearance on The Tube and i was waiting and waiting for (i vividly recall that The Cure on were the same show) to come on , them being the last act that Jools introduced.

only saw them once, Wembley Arena Afterburner tour in '86 (i even still have a tape bootleg that i picked up in the portobello road markets a decade or two back)

I often stick my little ones (3 and 1) in front of the computer and play them a series of You Tube videos, and 3-yr old always calls out for 'car video' for Gimme All Your Lovin while closely watching the ladies in the vid.

4pm Pyramid on the Friday someone mentioned, to let them get to Hamburg for next day in plenty of time. that'b be perfect.

I saw them headline Donington in 1985.

Decent enough but not really the right headliners and they were on after a very tedious Marillion so that didn't help.

On the plus side Ratt were excellent and it was the first time I saw Metallica who were supoib.

The most memorable thing about ZZ Top was when they flew the car over the crowd during the day.

don-85-zz-top-copter.jpg