Southside questions

Guest ourkid1984

puh...you might be looking for a while before finding the right spot. in 2011 around 75% of the people arrived on thursday.

Just see to be there as early as possible, that should get your odds up a little.

if you need any other info or whatever, and this actually goes for anybody, feel free to write me a message, I would be more than happy to help you, on site at the festival as well.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just an info: i think it's about an hour from stuttgart by car, so probably the same if you're getting their with the regional trains (note: the train fare for regional trains is incl. in the ticket price, but you probably know that).

Regional trains are all trains that DO NOT have "ICE" or "IC" in the train no., i.e. ICE94 or IC3345, the regional ones will have RE46529 or RB50260 or something similar. just stay away from the ICE and IC trains (= intercity trains in the UK) but I think they don't run on the stuttgart-tuttlingen line anyway.

I would highly recommend doing what you mentioned above, seriously, stuttgart's a nice town and all but you won't miss anything, and it's thursday.

I'd rather see to getting enough beer from the local shops (black cans named 5,0 original, trust me: cheap but tastes excellent like a normal lager, sort of carlsberg-ish) and food and a nice tent spot, and you'll be able to do that on the thursday with a little less hassle.

the party/disco tent is open on thursday which is located on the camping ground/landing strip, so there's enough to do on that day. the music's ok in the disco tent so you won't be fleeing it after 10 mins.

as said: if there's anything you need or whatever just write, happy to help.

went to aberdeen this year to see biffy clyro and the scots were a great crowd, had a blast, so I have to return the favour somehow eh :)

Edited by Operator

Do you recommend "Green Camping"?

If we travel in a group, I guess every single person need to sign up separately?

also, as I understood you must have a special wristband to enter this area - does this mean you can't invite people you meet at the festival to come with you to the green camping area?

Thanks ^^

in my opinion: completely useless :) I'd recommend it if you were going to rock am ring, but not southside. I'm not somebody who stays up 'til 7 in the morning and I can always sleep with the moderate noise other campers make.

if your neighbours are too loud just ask them to turn it down, the southside crowd doesn't mainly consist of ar**holes, everybody's having a good time and I've never had trouble with anyone.

"green" at German festivals means that you HAVE to keep your camping spot as tidy as possible and no music is allowed. that's it really, so no you don't need it.

the green site is only accessible if you have an according wristband yep, think you're right there, so nobody without a wristband will be let in.

besides there's a diso tent on the camping site which you can also hear if you're in the green area so there again: useless.

Well, thats one opinion...here is another: I loved it. People were really nice, there were seperate showers and wc's. never waited longer than 10 minutes to have a free warm shower. The noise from the disco tent was indeed a problem but they took care of that and moved the green camp to the opposite site of the festival area. So the whole experience should be even better...yes you need a wristband to enter and daytime music is ok...

Hey Guys,

A friend and I are traveling Europe and decided to hit up Southside. It's a fair bit different to what we have in Australia (we don't really do camping fest's) so I've got a few questions if thats okay? I've been checking out this thread pretty often which has helped heaps, so thanks!

* We've got out laptops etc with us, so it's obviously not a great idea to bring them to the fest with us. Does Tuttlingen train station have some sort of left luggage facility? Just somewhere we can stash a duffel bag for the 4 nights? Will obviously cost a bit, but seems the best option.

* With the free train ticket, does the travel have to be in the same direction (or to the same stations) in both directions? We're coming from Brussels on the Tuesday so will probably stop over in Frankfurt on the Wednesday night (obviously won't get that journey for free though). But on the way back I want to go see the Dillinger Escape Plan in Dortmund. So would it be fine to get the return journey back to there?

*One last one (I hope!), do we need to make reservations or do anything for the train? Or just jump on any regional train with out Southside tickets?

Well, thats one opinion...here is another: I loved it. People were really nice, there were seperate showers and wc's. never waited longer than 10 minutes to have a free warm shower. The noise from the disco tent was indeed a problem but they took care of that and moved the green camp to the opposite site of the festival area. So the whole experience should be even better...yes you need a wristband to enter and daytime music is ok...

Edited by Operator

Hey everyone,

I'm an American currently living in Tuttlingen and attending this festival. I was hoping to meet some other English speakers and offer to help out if I can.

Operator, are you originally an English speaker? Do you live in this area?

Looking forward to this festival as it has an amazing lineup. Definitely some difficult decisions though.

Hello,

I was just wondering what the prices for food & drink are like at the festival? I'm heading there this year and I'm going to go Thursday night all going well. For 4 nights there what would I be expecting to spend or whats a good budget to have going. I should mention I like to drink! :)

food starts at sort of 5 euros for a portion of asian noodles and goes up to about 7 or 8 I think for noodles with meat :)

pizza's also the same I think you can a large slice for 4 euros and depending on what toppings you want a bit more. large hot dogs also cost about 4 or 5 euros etc. there's a good selection, it all tastes OK but it's festival food...

drinks are quite OK I guess, theres a stall on the landing strip/camping grounds where you can get a beer for 3 euros and I think it costs 4 on the festival site itself. cup of water goes for 1 euro though (did 3 years ago anyway) or 1,50 so thats quite reasonable.

Hi

I was looking at videos from previous years and wondered what the deal with the 'golden' circle at the front of the crowd was like?

Is it like other UK festivals where this is a barrier to avoid crushes/surges which anyone can get into by entering round the side, or is it an actual VIP area, meaning that normal punters are relegated to the outside ring?

thats just a barrier to hold a bit of the crowd back, nothing VIP-related. entrance is to the left of the stage and exit normally to the right, depending on how full it is. queues are never long, only before the last two bands maybe three bands, here the same: the earlier you get in the queue the better, but they normally let everybody in once it empties after a band has finished.

the blue stage or second stage has a barrier running through the middle of the crowd.

See the map is out for the festival. Was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to camp? As we are arriving early on the Friday not expecting to get really close to the arena or anything but there is only 6 of us so we won't need alot of space but would like to meet new people.

Hello everybody,

I would like to know some informations about caravans.

Is there round the camping power supply?

What's the best day to arrive (with no queue possibly)?

Do we choose the position inside the parking or someone assigns it to us?

Thanks

first off: modest mouse's replacement is johnny borrell's new band or his new solo thing or whatever

ok couple of questions here...all in one:

@Elenna: no, there are little programmes at th enetrance where you get your wirstband...and there are pleeeeeenty, I normally take about 10. Plus they also contain all other info on the grounds and where to find everything.

@muffins see not to camp too close to a camping site entrance/exit. that's the only tip you need really, everywhere else is the same. why? as of sort of sunday late afternoon/evening quite a lot of people start packing up and the entrances and exits are not secured as well as on the rest of the days so people get onto the site even if they don't have a wristband...normally only people looking for beer cans (you return cans in germany and collect a 25 cent deposit per can in supermarkets) and that's quite annoying, I've heard cases where they even look for cans and bottles in tents, they don't (normally) take anything else but have a large lad by your side just in case you need to be "active".

@marcuse come as early as possible, the camping van queue is awful and once it gets to about 4 or 5 in the afternoon on thursday it doesn't move at all. I don't know why, I've never been to southside with a caravan or anything similar, it just looks like hell. and I think your assigned your spots, so see to get behind each other of you're more than 1 caravan and want to camp next to each other.

sorry but i have no idea concerning the power bit.

www.wetter.com or www.wetter.de

just enter "tuttlingen" into the search field. thats the village you drive through before going up the hill to the air field.

how much rain is needed before it becomes a mudbath? are you expecting some kind of litre/gallon per square metre answers?

If it rains for half a day it's bloody muddy...isn't that the same everywhere in the world?

and actually it looks like it's going to be a great weekend with 31 degrees on thursday and between 18 and 23 the rest of the days.

Just a bit of rain on saturday, and thats it. I'd check on wednesday to be 100% sure.

Edited by Operator

a few of you were asking about prices for drinks aso. here are the prices of the shop on the camping site (not valid on the festival grounds, more expensive there), hope you can all see it:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=549254911787972&set=a.195862247127242.51911.169142083132592&type=1&theater

1.5 litre bottle of water: 1.50 €

0.5 litre can of Becks (thats proper becks not that funny becks vier stuff you can get in england :) ): 1.25 €

0.5 litre can of Becks green lemon (= shandy): 1.25 €

0.33 litre can of jack+coke: 3.50 €

1.5 litre bottle of pepsi: 2.50 €

1 litre carton of orange juice: 2.00 €

2 litre carton of ice tea: 2.50 €

1 litre carton of white wine: 3.50 €

note that you pay a 25 cent deposit on bottles and cans

Edited by Operator