Neil Young & Crazy Horse?

Dark Star

I'll keep an eye out for setlists for this. If it deviates much from this past summer, or seems to change from night to night then it could be an option. Indoors would be ace. Ramada>Cinnamon>Fuckin' Up>Mr Soul>Into The Black run was really special. Shakey didnt give a ballix for the part-timers/whingers in Dublin. "Ya'll have been the best god-damned rock n roll crowd we've ever played to."... said with a grin as cheeky as any 4 year old. I laughed out loud and people thought I was nuts.

:D

Really can't see it for Glasters. If it happens, then watch as some of the goodwill from the 2009 show evaporates not unlike the Gorillaz show tarnished some of the sheen from Blur the previous year.

I thought it was incredible - but at some of the gigs there were definitely chunks of the crowd unhappy with some of the setlist selections.

He was touring his latest album so don't know why people were moaning. I seen people complaining that he didn't play enough from Harvest. It's a Crazy Horse gig so people should think themselves lucky that they got Heart Of Gold.

I really would love to see a Neil acoustic gig one day though.

Live at the Cellar Door came out today but no sign of my copy yet!

Edited by When Jokers Attack

Neil's back catalogue is so diverse, there is always guaranteed to be a gigantic whinge from one sub-section of the audience...

Been lucky enough to see him solo, a few times with the Electric Band, and with Crazy Horse. If the Horse rides again this summer, I'm in. Wheel out my "cheap places to stay in major EU cities" notebook, and I'm sorted.

Neil Young is clearly quality, clearly amazing, clearly a cut above almost everyone else. And yet, I don't really like him, he never really moves me. I always think I should like him more than I actually do when it comes to putting his music on.

I bought 'Ragged Glory' when it first came out, as that was the one that was around when I was a youth. I've got to be honest it didn't inspire me to go and explore his back catlogue, really. Seemed very 'old mannish' and conservative to my 17 year old ears.

I've dabbled in him ever since, listened to bits and pieces, bought Decade and one or two others, like I say I can see he's good (in the words of Molesworth 'Advanced, forthright, signifficant') but he just doesn't provoke that visceral response in me that makes me fall in love with an artist. Sorry and that.

Another late devotee to Shakey here. As a callow youth felt it difficult to like the reedy vocals. I was obviously an idiot. The songs have a weight and depth that soothes and inspires.

Whilst my collection is meagre enough (7 records?) i think I'd break convention and recommend the Massey Hall gig to someone unconvinced by Shakey's majesty.

Vinyl geeks really have to get their ducks in a row when it comes to the man aswell... the Greatest Hits has become one of my go-to moodbreakers in recent months. Not a hip thing to listen to a mere best of I realise - but similar to the Super Furry's compilation this one just clicks with me on wax. Its on all the time.

http://www.discogs.com/Neil-Young-Greatest-Hits/release/2406602

I'm a fan, but I never play Tonight's The Night

I love it. So loose. So drunk!

Been listening to Time Fades Away a bit recently for the same reasons as above. I'm bidding for it at the moment on vinyl on ebay. Found a lovely copy.

I bought 'Ragged Glory' when it first came out, as that was the one that was around when I was a youth. I've got to be honest it didn't inspire me to go and explore his back catlogue, really. Seemed very 'old mannish' and conservative to my 17 year old ears.

I've dabbled in him ever since, listened to bits and pieces, bought Decade and one or two others, like I say I can see he's good (in the words of Molesworth 'Advanced, forthright, signifficant') but he just doesn't provoke that visceral response in me that makes me fall in love with an artist. Sorry and that.

Hes not really a greatest hits artist. Decade is good but its not a representation of his work in the same way Echoes wasn't a representation of Pink Floyds work.

Shakey is an album man.

Another late devotee to Shakey here. As a callow youth felt it difficult to like the reedy vocals. I was obviously an idiot. The songs have a weight and depth that soothes and inspires.

Whilst my collection is meagre enough (7 records?) i think I'd break convention and recommend the Massey Hall gig to someone unconvinced by Shakey's majesty.

Vinyl geeks really have to get their ducks in a row when it comes to the man aswell... the Greatest Hits has become one of my go-to moodbreakers in recent months. Not a hip thing to listen to a mere best of I realise - but similar to the Super Furry's compilation this one just clicks with me on wax. Its on all the time.

super furry animals have a best of album?? whats it called? I want to outrage myself at the omissions...

Interesting, I get entirely what you're saying. Will maybe give him another go, and see if I can pick some up secondhand. The big problem is that my records are back at home, and I'm here in Moscow for most of the year so reliant on digital. It changes everything.

Yep. They had more ideas in "Ice Hockey Hair" than some of their more celebrated contemporaries had in entire careers.

I havent listened to them in ages, shamefully.

You could easily make a case that they were the best british band to emerge in the 90s. In fact, I'm going with that. Up yours thom yorke!

It's my dream to have the man dont give a fuck for the first dance at my wedding

I havent listened to them in ages, shamefully.

You could easily make a case that they were the best british band to emerge in the 90s. In fact, I'm going with that. Up yours thom yorke!

It's my dream to have the man dont give a fuck for the first dance at my wedding

Mate of mine had as the last dance of the night at his wedding,

The look on the grannies and aunties faces was priceless

I know what you mean about ragged glory being a bit dad rocky and to be honest I think you would be better off staying away from his crazy horse stuff, apart from everybody knows this is nowhere. I'd put money on you loving on the beach, after the goldrush and possibly harvest though.

Hastertgarter Hastert fee

Cheers Scruffs, will get onto it. Thank you.

You do realise all this forum is doing at the moment is bankrupting all of us? ;)

Edited by Mardy

You have to do that. It would be worth getting married just for the opportunity to do so!

My friend is having "Palaces of Montezuma" by Grinderman as the first dance at his wedding. Can't wait for that, although I think "No Pussy Blues" would have been better.