ZZ Top

Wooderson

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My small-minded view is that I'm not especially a fan - I've got a copy of Eliminator and the Greatest Hits, but that's about it. I Gotsta Get Paid is also a ruddy massive tune.

However, I'd almost certainly go to see them, especially as if they do play they're likely to be a mid-afternoon prospect and so unlikely to clash with anyone too exciting.

Don't love them, but Eliminator was one of my most played albums of 83-84, and I continued on with Afterburner and even one of their 90's records (the one with "Pin Cushion" on)...it's quite unlikely i'd go see them on their own (Wembley Arena 86 my only gig) but they are perfect band to be part of a weekend package like Glasto, so would be well-excited to see them added.

perhaps it's best they don't know about the festival and just let management book them, as they don't fit in with the ethos of Glasto...for all the grief that the likes of Clapton and Ferry get on here, I don't see anyone hammering away at these lot for their Republican Party support

My small-minded view is that I'm not especially a fan - I've got a copy of Eliminator and the Greatest Hits, but that's about it. I Gotsta Get Paid is also a ruddy massive tune.

However, I'd almost certainly go to see them, especially as if they do play they're likely to be a mid-afternoon prospect and so unlikely to clash with anyone too exciting.

I don't listen to them too much either really so I'd be in that bracket too. Would be there 100% mind you and really enjoy it.

A great 50 minute set in mid afternoon would be perfect. Or even better, in a tent.

But they're very much in the "serious rock acts" category, well travelled bluesmen, so not sure if they'd be keen on a token 50 minute slot beneath Vampire Weekend or whoever?

But they're very much in the "serious rock acts" category, well travelled bluesmen, so not sure if they'd be keen on a token 50 minute slot beneath Vampire Weekend or whoever?

Yeh thats my thought on it really. Could they get a leonard cohen-type expended set length I wonder. Would there even be the demand for it?

Yeh thats my thought on it really. Could they get a leonard cohen-type expended set length I wonder. Would there even be the demand for it?

Don't think so no.

West Holts maybe as Tonyo says. Much more a receptive crowd to something different round there. The could blues away all night and keep people dancing.

Well, I'm a fan. I've paid money to see them in concert and never been disappointed.

Billy Gibbons is one of my favourite guitarists...

and they started playing My Head's In Mississippi last year... which is such a great track

I think billy gibbons could be the man to unite us tone...I love him

I've paid to see zz top too.

I always had them down alongside def leppard and other 80s metal groups but must give them a proper listen

Nah thankfully nothing like them. Def Leppard are an appalling band. The absolute pits.

ZZ Top are a proper Texan blues rock band. Very well respected in the biz. And rightly so. Last album was pretty good too!

Try the best of from 1977 for a kick off. Or Deguello.

Edited by The Nal

Got to agree with Zico, to me they are just a big beards and nearly naked ladies gimmick band, my point here is not that I am right and those who see them as quality bluesmen are wrong but that where they may play (stage and how high on the bill) is more dictated by how well they will be anticipated and by how many people than the musicianship displayed, there are plenty of bands who are outstanding muscicians but unheard of, they will not play the pyramid stage.