ZZ Top

Wooderson

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy Gibbons in the Washington Post the other day on Prince

"It was following the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th anniversary celebration [in 2009]. They had a two night grand hurrah at Madison Square Garden and I was invited to perform with Jeff Beck. And following that appearance, I found myself back at the hotel and I wandered off in search of some late-night grub and my favorite 24-hour joint was shut down for unknown reasons. I tiptoed across the street to the Tiger Bar. I was just standing at the front and I was approached by a rather large gentleman and he said, ‘You’re wanted at the corner table.’ And there was Prince sitting all by his lonesome. And I gave him a brief tip of the hat and sat down and said, ‘Hey man, it’s so good to see you.’ He said, ‘It’s so good to see you. Let’s talk about guitar playing.’ I said, ‘Why not?’"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/04/22/defying-description-zz-tops-billy-gibbons-on-prince-the-sensational-guitarist/

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Not heard much chatter about these guys. I bloody loved it, but I knew I was gonna. What about everyone else? Worth the four year thread?

turned up late and just couldn't get in to it myself. at the time actually started to think that i should've gone to see BMTH (although i'll put that down to the lack of sleep). didn't help that where i was in the crowd nobody seemed arse and were just chatting away like there was nothing going on on stage

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Not heard much chatter about these guys. I bloody loved it, but I knew I was gonna. What about everyone else? Worth the four year thread?

It was a lot of fun! We were surrounded by dancing dads which is exactly how I wanted to experience a ZZ Top set.

8 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

turned up late and just couldn't get in to it myself. at the time actually started to think that i should've gone to see BMTH (although i'll put that down to the lack of sleep). didn't help that where i was in the crowd nobody seemed arse and were just chatting away like there was nothing going on on stage

Ah, that sucks, but I can imagine a lot of that going on. Made my way through the crowd fairly easily and there seemed to be a fair few disinterested.

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

They fucking smashed it! Knew it'd be ace but there were quite a few doubters in my group. 

Convinced some of them to go and they all loved it! The right balance between the cheese of the furry instruments for legs and the great versions of some great songs. 

Foxy lady brilliant too. 

That's quite like my experience, to be honest. Most just went to get a good spot for Foals and got properly into it. Way more fun than I'd even anticipated.

Glad most here loved it too. Got the heebie jeebies that they'd flopped with everyone else.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I enjoyed it, but centre back of the pit the sound was a little off - vocals low, quiet overall - and it's fair to say that the crowd weren't going bananas.

You must have been next to / very close to me. I thought it was a bit too Bassy. (Still really enjoyed it though)

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I enjoyed it, but centre back of the pit the sound was a little off - vocals low, quiet overall - and it's fair to say that the crowd weren't going bananas.

i was around that way, maybe not right at back but towards there. were you one of those two 'bearding' it around center-back-of-pit? 

7 hours ago, tevaburger said:

i was around that way, maybe not right at back but towards there. were you one of those two 'bearding' it around center-back-of-pit? 

We were next to those "bearding".

A small woman had a liittle step to stand on.

She asked my friend if she wanted to stand on it as shes 5ft 2... then I stood on it, being 6ft 3 for hilarious comedy effect (I'm witty beyond belief) 

13 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Exactly where I was yeah and the sound was ok. Enjoyable gig but theres more than a hint of Spinal Tap from them. Which I assume they know and play up on.

9 hours ago, tevaburger said:

Might well have been us, aye. Two of us ditched the rest of our group due to an excess of faffing at the Williams Green jacks.

I was pleased to see a reasonable turn out on the beard front. Dusty Hill will have gone home and shot his own balls off in delight.

And then it was up to the Park for Ronnie Spector feat. The Double Gibbons. 

We were just in line with the 'pit' barrier at the front. Was excellent. Probably my set of the weekend. Made for a quick exit after for a cider refuel and back with 20 mins to spare until Foals in roughly same position. Good times.

8 minutes ago, Filthy said:

We were bearded. One of our highlights

zz.jpg

Ha ha we had the same beards and guitars too, we were further back in the field forward of the 2nd set of speakers to the left..the amount of pictures people had taken with us was insane lol

beards.jpg