"Line Up" Tedium

Guest Wooderson

Anyone feel the festival "Line Up" structure is getting tedious? Not just for Glasto but everywhere?

Smaller & newer bands in the morning/Established indie & pop acts in the afternoon/big UK acts with successful album second last on/big established act as headliner.

Is this all getting tiresome as entertainment? When I look back on the Roger Waters surround sound comments people have made this gets me thinking. The festival's line up structure is in need of a serious update. Its got staid and unhealthy.

Bands/fests going through the motions with little difference between performances or line ups anymore. With a dearth of genuine quality coming through is it time for a change?

Are people really focussed on seeing a big band role out the hits with a sprinkling of the latest (shit) album or would people be interested in something a little riskier? Albarn has seen success and failure with this in recent years. The "Africa Express" night in 2007 seems to have been a resounding win - and remains the thing I'm most pissed off at having missed during my 8 visits to the farm. It was adventurous. Brave. The same could be said of the Gorillaz performance - despite really enjoying it - I can understand why others were let down.

But there are other options...

I look first to the 2009 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame gig for inspiration for example. Single larger act as "house band" for the evening, with various singers and performances throughout the evening. You could have themed evenings somewhere with a similar flavour being touched upon over a number of hours. Smaller more niche acts getting celebrated within a bigger performance.

Or even a more "curated" line up like Meltdown. Didnt Massive Attack take over a tent one Sunday for the whole day in the 1990's? Who wouldnt be interested to see Jack White bring a stable of acts to Glastonbury, with performances from him throughout the evening. Or Joshua Homme? Or Jarvis Cocker? Or *chance'd be a fine thing* Kate Bush? Really celebrate something. Revel in it. Do something individual and memorable FFS.

Reading over the line up threads every single year on here is interesting don't get me wrong... but I think with such a big festival like Glasters there is scope to return to a more unexpected, looser performance set up. Seeing as we've all paid for our tickets in advance would it make any difference if _no_ line up was announced. Would that do anything but prolong the excitement?

Ideas/suggestions/thoughts appreciated.

Edited by Wooderson

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone feel the festival "Line Up" structure is getting tedious? Not just for Glasto but everywhere?

Smaller & newer bands in the morning/Established indie & pop acts in the afternoon/big UK acts with successful album second last on/big established act as headliner.

Is this all getting tiresome as entertainment? When I look back on the Roger Waters surround sound comments people have made this gets me thinking. The festival's line up structure is in need of a serious update. Its got staid and unhealthy.

Bands/fests going through the motions with little difference between performances or line ups anymore. With a dearth of genuine quality coming through is it time for a change?

Are people really focussed on seeing a big band role out the hits with a sprinkling of the latest (shit) album or would people be interested in something a little riskier? Albarn has seen success and failure with this in recent years. The "Africa Express" night in 2007 seems to have been a resounding win - and remains the thing I'm most pissed off at having missed during my 8 visits to the farm. It was adventurous. Brave. The same could be said of the Gorillaz performance - despite really enjoying it - I can understand why others were let down.

But there are other options...

I look first to the 2009 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame gig for inspiration for example. Single larger act as "house band" for the evening, with various singers and performances throughout the evening. You could have themed evenings somewhere with a similar flavour being touched upon over a number of hours. Smaller more niche acts getting celebrated within a bigger performance.

Or even a more "curated" line up like Meltdown. Didnt Massive Attack take over a tent one Sunday for the whole day in the 1990's? Who wouldnt be interested to see Jack White bring a stable of acts to Glastonbury, with performances from him throughout the evening. Or Joshua Homme? Or Jarvis Cocker? Or *chance'd be a fine thing* Kate Bush? Really celebrate something. Revel in it. Do something individual and memorable FFS.

Reading over the line up threads every single year on here is interesting don't get me wrong... but I think with such a big festival like Glasters there is scope to return to a more unexpected, looser performance set up. Seeing as we've all paid for our tickets in advance would it make any difference if _no_ line up was announced. Would that do anything but prolong the excitement?

Ideas/suggestions/thoughts appreciated.

THE KILLERS, KASABIAN, FOO FIGHTERS, ARCTIC MONKEYS, THE KILLERS, KASABIAN, FOO FIGHTERS, ARCTIC MONKEYS,THE KILLERS, KASABIAN, FOO FIGHTERS, ARCTIC MONKEYS,THE KILLERS, KASABIAN, FOO FIGHTERS, ARCTIC MONKEYS,THE KILLERS, KASABIAN, FOO FIGHTERS, ARCTIC MONKEYS,THE KILLERS, KASABIAN, FOO FIGHTERS, ARCTIC MONKEYS,THE KILLERS, KASABIAN, FOO FIGHTERS, ARCTIC MONKEYS

good post, Wooderson, and i agree with your general point. one thing i would pick up on is your use of the term " dearth of genuine quality coming through". this may be the case in certain genres, but not in others. sadly it seems the Pyramid is pretty much set in it's ways these days: rarely does it stray from famous rock/indie/'legend' headliners if it can be helped.

so while a rethink may be a good idea, i think it's unlikely. at least until the UK gets over it's often bizarre infatuation with men and guitars.

I kind of understand what you say but.......

At a festival catering for circa 200k people you need the Pyramid, just like you need the Other Stage, just like you need the Acoustic, West Holts, John Peel, Park, blah blah blah. Like said above, 50 or 60 stages gives you the variety you seek. Or did you just want to sit at one venue all day?

Edited by whisty

I ain't just talking about the main two stages, folks. Deviation from the structure I mentioned earlier is unusual in all cases unless I'm mistaken?

The examples I cited from the festival only included one reference (Gorillaz) to the Pyramid. Two isolated examples I have of the performance structure of the fest being challenged at all are the Africa Express night at the Park in 2007 and when Massive curated the tent in 1995.

And Russy its all about how skilled something is put on. Is there scope at the festival for "An Evening with Nick Cave" on one of the smaller stages where he would take you on a journey showing a variety of facets of his career/interests? If Albarn can do it why not?

I guess I'm just fed up with the hype over bands playing back to back with half-hour gaps in between. Think a more rollicking/unpredictable structure would invigorate the festival. If the act in question is as big as to only play the Pyramid so what? Would "Bowie Night at Glasto" not go down in history?

I kind of understand what you say but.......

At a festival catering for circa 200k people you need the Pyramid, just like you need the Other Stage, just like you need the Acoustic, West Holts, John Peel, Park, blah blah blah. Like said above, 50 or 60 stages gives you the variety you seek. Or did you just want to sit at one venue all day?

Ive zero interest in sitting at one stage for the day or the weekend for that matter. I just think theres been lost opportunities where the festival has missed out over the years.

There doesnt really seem to be much of a collaberative sensibility going on? As I said its all very "This is my moment on the stage, I'm not sharing it or deviating from my tour setlist."

Two mini examples. When Dizzie came out with Arctics his mic didnt work. When U2 played on the same stage / same day as BB King they didnt play with him nor vice versa. Maybe its just me but some genuinely memorable moments are when the unexpected happens. HUGE hype every year about the "Park" special guests. Jarvis playing bass with Spinal Tap, Bruce mugging Gaslight Anthem etc etc.

I want Glasto to be as special as possible. This is enhanced when unique and unexpected things take place. Like Africa Express!!!! In an era when the festival scene is getting a little jaded I'm just saying its time to think laterally. Yes there is variety across the site, of course there is. But these are by and large niche experiences. I'm looking for that historic Glastonbury showpiece that resonates around the world. Surely people see where I'm coming from.

without putting words into Wooderson's mouth, I think you've missed the point. It isnt about variety per se - I agree that there is plenty of that - but about thew kind of variety. A line up based on the usual random selection of up and coming, has beens and never will bes, or explore some alternatives, like a curated stage or a particular theme...

the one area of the site that has brilliantly altered the way acts/artists are presented is the SE corner. lots of little venues where you never know who is on, could be unknown, could be world famous, in a setting that is as much an attraction as the acts themselves.

it would be very difficult to replicate that kind of thing on a massive scale but it shows there are people at Glastonbury trying to present things in original ways.

I ain't just talking about the main two stages, folks. Deviation from the structure I mentioned earlier is unusual in all cases unless I'm mistaken?

The examples I cited from the festival only included one reference (Gorillaz) to the Pyramid. Two isolated examples I have of the performance structure of the fest being challenged at all are the Africa Express night at the Park in 2007 and when Massive curated the tent in 1995.

And Russy its all about how skilled something is put on. Is there scope at the festival for "An Evening with Nick Cave" on one of the smaller stages where he would take you on a journey showing a variety of facets of his career/interests? If Albarn can do it why not?

I guess I'm just fed up with the hype over bands playing back to back with half-hour gaps in between. Think a more rollicking/unpredictable structure would invigorate the festival. If the act in question is as big as to only play the Pyramid so what? Would "Bowie Night at Glasto" not go down in history?

THE KILLERS, KASABIAN, FOO FIGHTERS, ARCTIC MONKEYS, THE KILLERS, KASABIAN, FOO FIGHTERS, ARCTIC MONKEYS,THE KILLERS, KASABIAN, FOO FIGHTERS, ARCTIC MONKEYS,THE KILLERS, KASABIAN, FOO FIGHTERS, ARCTIC MONKEYS,THE KILLERS, KASABIAN, FOO FIGHTERS, ARCTIC MONKEYS,THE KILLERS, KASABIAN, FOO FIGHTERS, ARCTIC MONKEYS,THE KILLERS, KASABIAN, FOO FIGHTERS, ARCTIC MONKEYS

the one area of the site that has brilliantly altered the way acts/artists are presented is the SE corner. lots of little venues where you never know who is on, could be unknown, could be world famous, in a setting that is as much an attraction as the acts themselves.

it would be very difficult to replicate that kind of thing on a massive scale but it shows there are people at Glastonbury trying to present things in original ways.

I saw the Africa Express night, and it was very special.

So did I, and it was.

But we also saw how sparse the crowd was too, and that was because there was no publicity saying "starring <big name> and <big name> and <big name> and <big name> and <big name>" etc, etc, etc.

Sadly, most people are sheep. If it's on the main stage at a festival, it must be good. ;)