Newbies at Glasto 13

Guest Kristina_225

Hi everyone!

This is my first post as well as my first Glastonbury, and was just looking for some advice :)

There are 4 of us coming down from Liverpool and havnt a clue what were doing, sooo anyone have any ideas on what field we should be camping in (were all 25, don't take drugs and I have a bladder the size of a walnut so cud do with having some toilets handy), what time we should aim to get there, what things there are to do on the weds and thurs and any other general advice really :)

Thank you! xxx

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats on getting tickets, its an experience that will change your life :)

With regard to the drugs thing, people do take drugs, but its not really that blatant in my experience, if you know what to look for you will see the signs, but it wont be in your face and make you feel comfortable. Its quite a family oriented festival and to be honest 99% of the people there have a great attitude so it wont be an issue

With regard to camping, its a tough one, the site is huge, so you can look at the map and think i want to camp XYZ, then you get there and you are over the other side and you walk miles to get there and its full

My personal preference is Dairy Ground, it doesnt fill up TOO quickly, i normally arrive about midday on Weds and get a spot, its not hugely lively at night which suits me too, when I get back to the tent I want to sleep, not too far from the Other Stage and The Park, so all in all in my opinion a good choice

Other people will have their own favourites, I imagine what will happen is you will arrive and just end up picking a spot, study the map when it comes out to get an idea but most of the areas are fine

What Verbal said.... Plus there are loads and loads of toilets everywhere, mostly, thankfully, of the "long drop" variety, and despite what you've probably heard, they aren't that bad! These days they have teams of cleaners stationed at each block so they get regular attention!

Camping fields pretty much surround the outskirts of the entertainment areas, so your never really far from some action and you will guaranteed end up walking miles every day so the actual field you camp in bears little problem. I would however recommend that you avoid the field between the other stage and the dance area as this gets flooded and very very busy!

Anyway, get set for the time of your life, and don't worry too much about the logistics - when I first started going there were no mobile phones and no Internet so there was little planning in advance you could do, and we managed just fine!

Hi Kristina,

congrats on getting tickets, sure you'll love it!

One of the great things about Glasto is there's something for everybody, but that also means no-one can really tell you where you'll find the best bits, as they're different for everyone.

what i'd suggest is having a look at last years line up at http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/line-up-poster/ and see which venues you think you'd have spent the most time at if you'd been there. most venues keep a similar feel year to year, so next year you can have a rough idea where you'll want to be closest to. Then have a look at the site map at http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/data/image/map6june11.jpg and see which camping fields give you easiest access to the areas you'll want to spend time in.

We've always camped in Park Home Ground, close to The Park and Other Stage, and close to the railway line, which gives access to the late night areas and greenfields, perfect for us, but if you're likely to spend most time in the Acoustic or John Peel tents, it wouldn't be much good!

We're lucky that we live in Somerset, so the road journey's not too long. you may find that after travelling down, then queueing to get in with all your gear, you might want to just camp on the first bit of free space you find. that's fine if you're happy to do a lot of walking over the weekend, but it might well be worth an extra 10 minutes walk at the start, to save a lot more over the whole festival

All the camping fields are within reach of toilets, or have some in them, but try not to camp too close. If you arrive on Wednesday, they won't smell at all, but if you're right by them, you'll regret it by Sunday, whatever the weather.

I agree with Verbal above about the drugs. no-one's going to force them on you, it's personal preference. you'll probably see one or two people worse for wear on that score over the weekend, but you don't have to be one of them!

Wednesday and Thursday are generally mooching about days for most. First timers getting their bearings, and those who've been before seeing what new ideas have been introduced. The only thing I'd say is virtually compulsory (and you'll probably hear this from a few people), is on the Wednesday, once you've set up camp, head for the Southern side of the site, walk up the hill to the viewing area, but don't turn around until you get right to the top. when you reach the fence, turn round, for one of the best views you'll ever see!

Wherever you camp, whatever you see, hope you have a great time!

Thanks guys :) I'm really excited! Il have a little look at the map when it comes out but dairy ground sounds good as I am also intending to flake out when I get back to the tent!

I'm not too bothered by the drugs thing, it's up to people whatever they want to do, it's just my friends camped at V last year and had a terrible experience with people knocking on their tent every 5 mins offering/asking for drugs lol (although I'm sure Glastos not like that!)

We're planning on leaving at around midnight from liverpool so we should get there pretty early then hopefully get a decent spec :)

I have heard some stories about the long drop, haha, someone told me they would be full by friday!ha!i don't even mind what state theyre in as long as i can go!

Can't wait now :) xx

The toilets aren't that bad. My first glastonbury was in 2000 - sunshine and overcrowding are not a good combination! In the sunshine you could smell the toilets before you could see them. They were pretty disgusting. Because of my experiences that year I usually prefer the long drop but there are flush loos by the farm if you prefer.

I wouldn't worry too much about where you camp, it's usually a case of where you can manage given weight of your gear/weather/time of arrival/amount of cider consumed! I personally avoid the dance area but some of my friends swear by it so its just preference. Saying that we are strictly family camping these days but everywhere we've camped in the past has had a great atmosphere

Well done for finding this forum. Read as much as you can - discussions on everything from food to walking boots v wellies and trollies and tents.

First of all prepare yourself for the scale of the festival site. You'll probably walk ten or twelve miles a day - so make sure you've got some good walking boots. I prefer those to wellies.

If you're travelling light you'll find plenty of good food on sale at reasonable prices - especially up in the Green Fields away from the main commercial area. But if you can, take a small gas stove enough to boil a kettle to have hot water to wash and make yourself a cup of coffee in the morning or a cup of hot chocolate at night.

Also a fabric conditioner bottle for those middle of the night moments and a good torch to find youer way around at night.

Most of all orientate yourself on the first day. Finding your way back to your tent by daylight is one thing but in the dark it isn't that easy.

Over the years i have found that due to drunken disorientation, a funnel to go with that fabric conditioner bottle is useful. They are only 99p on ebay! It is horrible to wake up in the middle of the night & realise theres no avoiding having to get yourself together for the assault course across the guy ropes to the long drops in the dark, & maybe in the rain. An 'in tent' option is a godsend.

Also - if you are keen to seek out a particular camping spot & you are in a car, take just your temt & a few beers on the first trip. So much easier to keep going till you are happy that you have found the right place for you if you're not wilting under the weight of all your worldly goods.

I also recommend Dairy, but it is getting more popular every year.

We used to camp in Big Ground - up on the hill and just over from Worthy FM/Radio Avalon and the 24 hour cafe. Not too crowded, great views, doesn't suffer from flooding and not far from some great proper flush toilets (what we christened Flushing Meadows) that were still spotless at the end of the fest.

Hey again everyone :)

Thanks for all your info, I read Tort's guide (that must have taken him agggges!) and thats answered a whole heap of questions!

We've just booked a travelodge in Taunton not too far from Worthy Farm (it says about 45 mins) so that we're not going to be driving through the night and we can get up super early to get there :) (although I doubt i'll be able to sleep as i'm already ridiculously excited and its months away yet!)

Amfy the funnel sounds like a great idea to go along with the fabric conditioner bottle (which i've been told about by a few people now..who knew a bottle of comfort could have so many uses!?)

Thanks again for all your help, hope those of you who dont have tickets manage to get some in april and those of you who do enjoy it as much as i intend to!

xxx

First time going to Glastonbury (and hopefully T in the Park and Isle of Wight). First time going to England (and Scotland and Ireland). First time going to a major festival alone. And, first time camping at a festival. Should be a blast.

Also from Canada.

That free lock ups thing is a lifesaver, thanks for the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

First time going to Glastonbury (and hopefully T in the Park and Isle of Wight). First time going to England (and Scotland and Ireland). First time going to a major festival alone. And, first time camping at a festival. Should be a blast.

Also from Canada.

That free lock ups thing is a lifesaver, thanks for the tip.

• 2 months later...