Glasto Countdown Desktop Wallpaper

Guest dan05delaney

I think there were problems with the links and images in the various older threads due to forum/server upgrades and so on over the years and not to mention that old files will show old dates of course even if the links do work tongue.png But all is not lost if you want a suitably pimped desktop something kinda like this:

glasto%20desktop%20countdown%202013.jpg

Grabbing a copy of the Glasto Desktop Countdown 2013 update *might* therefore be somewhat beneficial to efesters who already have the Glasto Desktop Countdown installed from a previous year and would much prefer to see the correct date instead of Ye Olde Date ! Just unzip the contents to where you stored the previous version and overwrite the old files. I've had a quicky look at the code I have lying around and I think it's OK but do shout if there are any probs and all that. I've been using it since July 2011 anyway and it works fine for me although I can't quite explain why I have it installed mind you seeing as I stopped going after 2010 !

Sorry, haven't had time to do all the various different versions and background pics etc. despite saying that I was going to do it many months/years ago and having a page lying around somewhere on the interweb as "work in progess" for just as long rolleyes.gif However, you can use any old background pic you want simply by having a file called "background.jpg" in the same place as the html and other files. You just need to make sure that the size of the pic is (preferably) exactly the same as the resolution of your screen and it will appear as if by magic biggrin.png If your screen is 1024x768 for instance then you ideally need a pic that size although you could use a larger pic if you have to but the excess at the bottom and right hand side will get cropped. Using a pic smaller than your screen size will just look very stupid I think.

Hope that helps and congrats to all the lucky peeps off to a field in Somerset next year ... and best of luck to all those not-so-lucky peeps still hoping to be there by one means or another of course smile.png

The webpage version is always available HERE for all your sleep counting needs.

Edited by mikeb

Mike, was it you who came up with desktop webcam thing? Used to have that but binned it off for some bizarre reason. Always nice to see what the farm was looking like and great for building the excitement as the festival got nearer and you could see the Pyramid get it's skin and the fence go up.

Nope it wasn't me but I do remember someone doing something that had all 3 images displayed simultaneously. There is a webcam Widget on the BBC page though if that's what you were thinking about. I have thought about grabbing the webcam images and tweaking them to use as the background for the Desktop Countdown several times but the beeb tend to change the locations every now and again plus the stupid thing generally stops working for significant periods of time anyway ! Dunno why it keeps falling over as it can't really be *that* difficult to grab images from a remote webcam reliably and all that.

Edited by mikeb

I'm not aware of any problem and the zip file contains what I've been using here since 2011 so should be OK. Your background image file MUST be a jpeg called "background.jpg" (without the quotes obviously) and MUST also be stored in the same place as the html and other files so it's worth checking it is. Sometimes Windoze gets a bit confused when changing desktop settings as well so you could try going back to one of the standard Desktops and then change it to the countdown again to see if that sorts it. Other than that I can't think of anything obvious that would stop it being displayed.

What version of Windoze are you using ? Don't forget this only works particularly well on WinXP and slightly less well on earlier Win98 based versions. For Vista you also need to have the "AveDesktopSites" program installed and running properly as well because Billy Gates & Co removed Active Desktop from Vista and beyond meaning that a 3rd party application is required to kinda replicate the functionality of older Windoze versions. However, I don't think it works properly (if at all) on any version of Windoze after Vista though so if you're now running Windoze 7 or whatever then that might perhaps explain why all is not well. I suppose there might also be some weird problem with having later versions Internet Explorer installed but it seems to work OK with the copy of IE9 I have lying around and it certainly worked reasonably well with all earlier IE versions so far as I know.