Backdoor, IP change

Guest dan05delaney

I was having trouble so came on here since there's usually someone here with a special way of tickets - and Neil never lets us down! In no doubt I wouldn't have gotten tickets without that method, and I got the tickets at 9:58 so guess I got in just before the second server opened.

It definitely would have sold out in under an hour if it had all worked. Emily's tweets between the half sold and sold out statuses were only 23 minutes apart. To be honest, I like it having problems and selling slowly. Nothing more infuriating than constantly refreshing the page for gig tickets and it going from "not yet on sale" to "sold out" in a single refresh.

Edited by fowls

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See Tickets messed up the DNS entries for glastonbury.seetickets.com (the dns entry is what directs a URL entry to an IP address) - and the result was that all requests were going to one server when they should have gone to two servers.

By editing the hosts file it forced the request to go to the unused server - which was why it worked so easily for everyone that tried (cos only those who edited the hosts file were hitting that server).

Mid-sale, See Tickets sorted out their dns entries so that it no longer gave an advantage (and probably gave a disadvantage cos more people would have been hitting that server).

Suppose really I should be thankful of how this went down. Because See suddenly sorted it out the first overloaded server allowed a couple of my pages to got through to registration details at 10:33, which means I finally got tickets after getting pretty pissed of in 2010, when I did not get tix for 2011.

I, for one am happy for the server cock up. It meant the sales slowed down enough for me to fix my broken broadband in the meantime and to then bag my tickets at 10:20ish. Didn't use the backdoor work around, as I hadn't seen it in time, but I'm sure all the tickets would have been gone before I had chance to fix my internet if all had been well at See Tickets.

Edited by Leggins

What infuriates me so much is that it only costs a couple of quid to spin up some Amazon/Rackspace Cloud Servers, you could have 100s of servers online rather than two, for just an hour and process everyones requests seamlessly. (it costs around 15p / hour / server)

Does anyone know if this was a cock-up or if they were infact deliberatly poisoning DNS to shunt half the traffic into a dead end without any hit on their web servers (i would have expected them to put in 127.0.0.1 or something like that instead of a random 192.168 address that could have caused some people to inadvertently call a page on a PC in their own home).

Im guessing typo cock-up as the address was a digit out from their /16 range. This sort of thing happens all the time but you'd think they would have tested things before this morning. Shockingly poor IT from See - and they say these are by far the best people to handle this??! I could do better.

I wonder if any of the other IP's in their range (194.168.202.192-255) also got there and may have got straight in. Something to think of trying next year!

I got a ticket because I know what a hosts file is and I can recognise that theres something fishy going on when my browser tells me its trying and failing to load a 192.168 address. But is anyone else worried that this is going to be a festival full of IT geeks!!?

Also because I am one of those IT geeks - Did anyone else notice that whois searches reveal Sees addresses to belong to a primary school??! Probably just out of date but a bit odd for such a major site.

% Information related to '194.168.202.192 - 194.168.202.255'

inetnum: 194.168.202.192 - 194.168.202.255

netname: PUTTERIDGE

descr: Putteridge Junior School

admin-c: GT238-RIPE

tech-c: NNMC1-RIPE

mnt-by: AS5089-MNT

source: RIPE # Filtered

Edited by urrrgh

I prefer the days when it took 8 hours and people gave up, but atleast you knew if you persisted you'd get one! Or go and queue up in the rain somewhere! Selling out in 1hour 40mins just seems it random who gets one and who doesn't, I'd rather make it more difficult!!! (Is this weird?)

I love this forum, don't come on that often but willingness to help others is a joy to see...

Not being that savvy when it comes to IT, after reading peoples posts on, decided to take up someones advice with Firefox, along with a plugin, and I am convined this got me my ticket this year.

The amount of times it let me in was beyond the pale, managed to get people 15 tickets today, and this wasn't no back door me baby....

Bosh, tickets 9.10am, job done.

As with years before, if you get to see every page of the process once, it makes the subsequent loading up of pages easier as you're just transmitting submitted information rather than downloading the look of the forms on each page. That's why you got so many - as you got in once.

The hostsfile change (IP) was a stroke of genius and up there with the "Freya" link in 2004!

Edited by UEF

Does anyone know if this was a cock-up or if they were infact deliberatly poisoning DNS to shunt half the traffic into a dead end without any hit on their web servers (i would have expected them to put in 127.0.0.1 or something like that instead of a random 192.168 address that could have caused some people to inadvertently call a page on a PC in their own home).

Im guessing typo cock-up as the address was a digit out from their /16 range. This sort of thing happens all the time but you'd think they would have tested things before this morning. Shockingly poor IT from See - and they say these are by far the best people to handle this??! I could do better.

I wonder if any of the other IP's in their range (194.168.202.192-255) also got there and may have got straight in. Something to think of trying next year!

I got a ticket because I know what a hosts file is and I can recognise that theres something fishy going on when my browser tells me its trying and failing to load a 192.168 address. But is anyone else worried that this is going to be a festival full of IT geeks!!?

Also because I am one of those IT geeks - Did anyone else notice that whois searches reveal Sees addresses to belong to a primary school??! Probably just out of date but a bit odd for such a major site.

Some of my WBC Team work in the back office where the actual See Tickets servers are and there is far more than two servers involved.

they sit watching their laptops and can override the system if they think its required - I have not heard from them today but I know they had a major problem in a previous year { either 2010/2011 - which I posted the details about in this board } but they did not receive permission from head office so they were using new protocols today which appeared to have worked.

At the end of the day there is always going to be some who end up with no tickets.

I'll hold my hands up and admit I know nothing about computers or how they work. I was at a mates house who works for a large anti-virus firm called Kaspersky. When I saw the back-door instructions on here it made no sense to me, but he knew exactly what it meant and how to do it. I think from me seeing the link, showing it to him and us having our tickets was about 5 mins.

We managed to get through and get our 8 tickets, he got through again for another 4 but when we tried for the 3rd batch it had grounded to a halt.

Efests came up trumps for me in 2004 as well with that freya link so many thanks! (managed to get tickets on my own in 05, 07, 08, 09,10 and 11)

. I know nothing about seetickets but cant beleive they didnt do some load balace testing before the event.. A nice little window of oportunity was 'discovered' and before they could make the required change the 'free' IP address was disclosed.. Nice result all round. Seetickets dont care because a sell out was guaranteed..Meanwhile, whilst bathing in adulation, forgot to tell anyone that by keeping the manual host entry in place you were halving your chances of getting connection to servers.. Pretty shabby all round I recon

I've used both the Freya link and this years backdoor - (not before I checked the IP out).

The worrying thing here is that 1 day someone unscrupulous is going to take advantage on ticket sales day of this, we're all very used to See using a variety of domains on ticket sales days - someone well organised could make a lot of money by exploiting this.

I love this forum, don't come on that often but willingness to help others is a joy to see...

Not being that savvy when it comes to IT, after reading peoples posts on, decided to take up someones advice with Firefox, along with a plugin, and I am convined this got me my ticket this year.

The amount of times it let me in was beyond the pale, managed to get people 15 tickets today, and this wasn't no back door me baby....

Bosh, tickets 9.10am, job done.