Latest Festivals News

Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

Backdoor, IP change

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
83 replies to this topic

#1 dan05delaney

dan05delaney

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

As an self confessed "IT Geek" can someone explain what happened and why this worked for so many people... my tired, stressed mind can't work it out this early on a Sunday

#2 tilt

tilt

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

See mistyped one of their IPs in their DNS so all traffic was going through one server. Adding the other IP to the HOSTS file took you straight to the other, empty server.

#3 eFestivals

eFestivals

the value of your god may go down as well as up

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,687 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

As an self confessed "IT Geek" can someone explain what happened and why this worked for so many people... my tired, stressed mind can't work it out this early on a Sunday

See Tickets messed up the DNS entries for glastonbury.seetickets.com (the dns entry is what directs a URL entry to an IP address) - and the result was that all requests were going to one server when they should have gone to two servers.

By editing the hosts file it forced the request to go to the unused server - which was why it worked so easily for everyone that tried (cos only those who edited the hosts file were hitting that server).

Mid-sale, See Tickets sorted out their dns entries so that it no longer gave an advantage (and probably gave a disadvantage cos more people would have been hitting that server).

#4 al_coholic

al_coholic

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

From what I have seen and read.....

It looks like when the site was published it had a typo in the IP address of one of the servers. 192 instead of 194, so all hits were only being directed to 1 server instead of 2. By changing your host file to point directly at the correct IP address I think we were hitting a server that was hardly being used and so we were getting straight in.

Seetickets fixed this around 10am by updating their DNS to the correct IP address after this it was harder to get in because the load was being spread.

#5 dan05delaney

dan05delaney

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

ahh right thanks... wow epic fuck up on see's end, just think how quick it could of sold out

#6 smash

smash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:12 AM

Another see tickets farce!

#7 dan05delaney

dan05delaney

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

Another see tickets farce!

one line of code... happens to the best coders,

#8 thesecretingredientiscrime

thesecretingredientiscrime

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,150 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

So if they were all going to one server, that means if it had been running correctly, they could have gone even quicker?!

#9 smash

smash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

one line of code... happens to the best coders,

Just not acceptable!

#10 acidpod23

acidpod23

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

I've got to get on this case next year..i didn't use it, but luckily my friend got through 2 mins before it sold out! Next time, i will listen to you here! :)

#11 dan05delaney

dan05delaney

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,032 posts

So if they were all going to one server, that means if it had been running correctly, they could have gone even quicker?!

if everything worked properly it could of sold out in less than an hour (in theory)

#12 dan05delaney

dan05delaney

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Just not acceptable!

for one day a year, estimated unique hits about 2million... 150,000 tickets sold... in 70 mins..

#13 al_coholic

al_coholic

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

In my opinion it is lucky that there are a few IT geeks on here, many of us will have missed out without this trick.

#14 CitizenErased

CitizenErased

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

I don't believe they did that. It isn't that difficult to correctly copy/type out 4, three digit numbers seperated by a dot.Posted Image

#15 eFestivals

eFestivals

the value of your god may go down as well as up

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43,687 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

See tell me that without the DNS cock-up, all the tickets would have sold within an hour.

#16 darkskiez

darkskiez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

What infuriates me so much is that it only costs a couple of quid to spin up some Amazon/Rackspace Cloud Servers, you could have 100s of servers online rather than two, for just an hour and process everyones requests seamlessly. (it costs around 15p / hour / server)

#17 grhm

grhm

• GOLD member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

Luckily I got my tickets the old fashioned way, lots of refreshing pages, but I completely missed this DNS workaround. For next time - how was it discovered, and was there a separate thread for it that i missed while refreshing all those tabs?

#18 darkskiez

darkskiez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

I noticed it pretty quickly when i got a webserver on my work intranet coming up instead of the purchase page, so i did a lookup and spotted they had used a private address 192.168 instead of the NTL range 194.168 the other server was on.

#19 smash

smash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

for one day a year, estimated unique hits about 2million... 150,000 tickets sold... in 70 mins..

Exactly they know its coming and there are issues every year. If its not one problem it's another. See Tix are crap.

#20 bazza

bazza

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

If I was into conspiracy theories, I might think that this was on purpose to allow dedicated glasto goers who frequent the efests boards a way of getting tickets...................