Latest Festivals News

Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

This ''Backdoor access''

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 A Weekend In The City

A Weekend In The City

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

Can somebody give me a step by step guide with all the details of how to do it, I'm so illiterate with computers and I'm running windows 7 on my laptop.

#2 airwaves

airwaves

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:59 AM

Courtesy of wacko

ok, ill try and repeat what neil said but in easy steps

1. click start
2. go to all programs>accesories
3. right click on notepad
4. select run as administrator
5. if a pop up box comes up click yes
6. in notepad click file>open
7. paste c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS into the bar at the bottom (you may need to change the dropdown menu to all files)
8. paste
194.168.202.201 glastonbury.seetickets.com into the bottom of the notepad document.
9. click save
10. close your web browser
11. open internet explorer
12. go to the address http://glastonbury.seetickets.com

We all owe wacko some pints

#3 guitarbhoy1888

guitarbhoy1888

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

how about on a mac ??

#4 eFestivals

eFestivals

the value of your god may go down as well as up

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,665 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:10 AM

someone is telling me that See have fixed the issue, and this won't make any difference now .... whether that is true I can't tell you, but as he's the guy who told me to try this in the first place I'll take his word for it. :)

#5 A Weekend In The City

A Weekend In The City

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

I tried those steps, but when I pasted the HOSTS thing into notepad and it opened there was already the web address at the bottom, did I need to copy and paste it again so it said it twice?

#6 itsmunkeyman

itsmunkeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Hi, thanks it worked!

However, my confirmation email came from this address donotreply@glastonbury.co.uk - is that okay? Going to http://www.glastonbury.co.uk/ isn't the Glastobury festival website... can someone confirm that this email address is the legit one please?

Thanks.

#7 The Nal

The Nal

Hoo Dawgies!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,119 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:24 AM

"Backdoor access"

Fnarr fnarr.

#8 Red Day

Red Day

Form a band, start name with K and headline TITP yearly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

That's the correct email. You're going to Glasto

#9 eFestivals

eFestivals

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,665 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hi, thanks it worked!

However, my confirmation email came from this address donotreply@glastonbury.co.uk - is that okay? Going to http://www.glastonbury.co.uk/ isn't the Glastobury festival website... can someone confirm that this email address is the legit one please?

Thanks.

yeah - it's not a fake email.

They've messed up with the email address they've written into the mailing program, that's all.

#10 WillyVWade

WillyVWade

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

yeah - it's not a fake email.

They've messed up with the email address they've written into the mailing program, that's all.

But what if we have to reply to that email?

#11 al_coholic

al_coholic

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

You can track your tickets on the seetickets website already if anyone is worried. All we have done is remove the DNS lookup from the address it just speeds up the resolution

#12 scmck

scmck

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

It's a no reply email.

#13 eFestivals

eFestivals

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,665 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:38 AM

it's not designed for reply to anyway - which is why it's donotreply@ :lol:

#14 Foxie_laydie

Foxie_laydie

God made Glastonbury

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

I know this is all irrelevant now, but it's been bugging me and am losing sleep over the fact that I could not get to grips with this!
So just wantto know if everyone had to put in a password? When I went to the 'run as admin' it asked me for a password..of which I didn't know mine so couldn't proceed any further.
So did everyone have to do this...as it doesn't seem to be mentioned in any of the steps? And also, where would I of found my password as I don't remember ever making one up????
This has just been bugging me as I'm usually pretty good with teccy things :-/

#15 Pinhead

Pinhead

Glasto Veteran

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

I am guessing you are running Vista or Windows 7, in which case the funny User Access Control (UAC) thing is obviously turned on. I assume it asked for an Admin password when you tried to edit or save the modified hosts file. You may already be an Admin on your PC if its your own, in which case you should have tried your normal logon password, but a work one would have been locked down by the IT people there.

Tbh, no-one really needed to go as far as editing their hosts file anyway to achieve this advantage - all browsers allow you to bang in an IP Address instead of a URL in the address field if you don't need them to lookup the IP for the Domain in DNS (since obviously you already have it).

#16 eFestivals

eFestivals

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,665 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

Tbh, no-one really needed to go as far as editing their hosts file anyway to achieve this advantage - all browsers allow you to bang in an IP Address instead of a URL in the address field if you don't need them to lookup the IP for the Domain in DNS (since obviously you already have it).

I tried that, and it went to the server's front page rather than the front page for the configured glastonbury.seetickets.com domain.

Did you do it and get a different result? Weird if you did.

#17 Jie Bie

Jie Bie

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:21 PM

I tried that, and it went to the server's front page rather than the front page for the configured glastonbury.seetickets.com domain.

Did you do it and get a different result? Weird if you did.

I tried to do the same and I got the same result as you. Editing the hosts file seemed to be the only way to force your PC to use the quiet server.

#18 Pinhead

Pinhead

Glasto Veteran

• GOLD member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:38 PM

Hmmmm. Curious. Can't explain that. My logic is that in some popular OS'es, Windows included, default TCP/IP settings point all TCP/IP clients at the local hosts file before looking for a configured IP for a DNS server to query for the domain. Thus, add IP and FQDN to hosts file and it does not bother to look up via public DNS as it gets the result from there.

Similarly however, bang the IP into the address field and the browser (just another TCP/IP client) does not need to even look into hosts file or query DNS as you have already implied you have the IP that it needs by entering it directly. At the end of the day hosts / DNS is really there just to resolve names to IP's - nothing else. Perhaps the result was already cached and the cached value took presidence over the entered value. Perhaps the browser does a sneaky public DNS PTR Record lookup as well for the IP just to double check. I did an ipconfig /flushdns before I tried it to dump the cache. Dunno - only seemed to make a brief improvement for me anyway as about 10 mins later they had addressed the issue.

#19 tumbles

tumbles

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

Similarly however, bang the IP into the address field and the browser (just another TCP/IP client) does not need to even look into hosts file

It depends if the IP has a binding specfically to that website or not. For example if you go to http://5.133.19.99 you'd go to a football message board, but that's only because I've set the IP address alone to resolve to it.. if you then tried to click any further the hostname will take over.

Edited by tumbles, 09 October 2012 - 02:47 PM.

#20 artl

artl

Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Pinhead, i too am confused... you are correct using the IP addy should just take you to the web site. It should go -. look in cache -> then hosts file-> then ISP DNS -then next DNS then -> .com putting in the IP address in the address bar should have given the same results - it did not for me - wonder if this was all just a coincidence DNS changes take time to propagate ...