Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

with such a weak impression of Glastonbury, is Jagger really going to want to agree to play a show on the cheap, and have it broadcast on the cheap, to then get past those to think about the benefits that would come from back-catalogue sales?

I really can't see it. That statement of his pretty much says to me it's not going to happen. Someone would have to work very very hard on Jagger to get him to open his eyes to the benefits, and I reckon if that was going to happen it would have happened already.

with such a weak impression of Glastonbury, is Jagger really going to want to agree to play a show on the cheap, and have it broadcast on the cheap, to then get past those to think about the benefits that would come from back-catalogue sales?

I really can't see it. That statement of his pretty much says to me it's not going to happen. Someone would have to work very very hard on Jagger to get him to open his eyes to the benefits, and I reckon if that was going to happen it would have happened already.

Judging by the Quotes coming from the Stones and your interview with Emily Eavis it would assume the Stones wont be playing.

Could be clinging to hope here, but I read that as "I haven't heard anything about it, only what's in the papers"

as Mick saying he's not heard anything about playing, only the rumours that are in the papers. Would it be possible to not know at this stage? who books them?

Or he's completely lying and they're booked. Bound to be. right?....

Could be. I get the impression after Keefs "I hate overcharging fans but 16 million sounds right to me" comments last week, that they couldn't give a shit where they play as long as the price is right.

Could be clinging to hope here, but I read that as "I haven't heard anything about it, only what's in the papers"

as Mick saying he's not heard anything about playing, only the rumours that are in the papers. Would it be possible to not know at this stage? who books them?

Or he's completely lying and they're booked. Bound to be. right?....

I took the "not heard" bit to be about the festival itself, rather than about the stones playing at that festival.

Sounds like he just taken some meds, or old age is catching up with him, that was such a vague answer!

I guess the offer is still on the table, and it sounds like the rest of the band are up for it. So wait and see i guess!

The rest of the band don't really get as say. It's what Mick says that counts.

Could be. I get the impression after Keefs "I hate overcharging fans but 16 million sounds right to me" comments last week, that they couldn't give a shit where they play as long as the price is right.

which is the view I've taken of this all along. They care about how much they get paid for playing, and the fact of selling records off the back of it won't really come into their thoughts.

The rest of the band don't really get as say. It's what Mick says that counts.

Spot on.

which is the view I've taken of this all along. They care about how much they get paid for playing, and the fact of selling records off the back of it won't really come into their thoughts.

Starting to agree with you.

I really think we're overegging the appeal of the festival on here. Its a Glasto forum so its fair enough but its clear from previous marquee headliners that they really don't know/don't give a shit about the festival.

Not as much as us lot anyway.

The Stones are busy negotiating a £150m+ world tour.

Their 200k Glasto appearance fee is way down the list it seems.

Edited by The Nal

I'm not giving up hope. Micks comment didn't say no. Keith said the same night he'd love to play. Ronnie wants to play. Charlie will go where he's told. It could happen...

Even as whatever acts headline part of me still won't be convinced their set won't be interrupted middway through with Keef's guitar opening 'Start me Up'....

Spot on.

Starting to agree with you.

I really think we're overegging the appeal of the festival on here.

I think to bands who have grown up with the festival happening, it is a big deal. Think Pulp, Blur, Radiohead etc. For people like the Stones who started gigging before the festival even began, it's not and if it doesn't offer a payday it might not swing it.

Edited by strummer77

I didn't realise Blue were so big on Glastonbury

I think to bands who have grown up with the festival happening, it is a big deal. Think Pulp, Blue, Radiohead etc. For people like the Stones who started gigging before the festival even began, it's not and if it doesn't offer a payday it might not swing it.

I didn't realise Blue were big fans of the festival? sarcastic_blum.gif

I know they had the whole deal with solo, but what were the Stones paid for Isle of Wight? Anyone know?

I can only guess, but my guess would be £2M or more. And that would have quite possibly been at a discounted rate, because Giddins is someone who has worked closely with them over the years.

He was also able to offer them a customised stage, which I think it's unlikely that Glastonbury would do for them.

What Glastonbury does have going in their favour is that Nick (Emily's hubby) appears to have or had some sort of relationship with the stones, as does or did Paul Ludford (who is the new Glasto operations director [Melvin's replacement]) - I'm not sure what those relationships were, but it's probably the case that they weren't as close as Giddins.

I can only guess, but my guess would be £2M or more. And that would have quite possibly been at a discounted rate, because Giddins is someone who has worked closely with them over the years.

He was also able to offer them a customised stage, which I think it's unlikely that Glastonbury would do for them.

What Glastonbury does have going in their favour is that Nick (Emily's hubby) appears to have or had some sort of relationship with the stones, as does or did Paul Ludford (who is the new Glasto operations director [Melvin's replacement]) - I'm not sure what those relationships were, but it's probably the case that they weren't as close as Giddins.

Cheers, I thought it would still have been a lot just interesting to see how much (if any) they discounted.

I reckon it's just a case of waiting for some proper info to be released, I'm holding out the faith!

The stage for the stones at Isle of Wight was indeed customised... it had a "thrust" down the centre as normal into the crowd but what I wasn't expecting was that the whole stage floor disconnected from the tent as it were and rolled down the trust - so the whole floor with all the band on it came out to meet the centre of the audience - then back again.

Not impossible at Glasto, but a lot of faff for 200k's worth of work ;)

Brilliant show though, they worked like absolute trojans.

Re: the Jagger interview, it strikes me as just a typically evasive non-comment. It's his typical, defensive conversational style - vague and bored-sounding, a stance that seems as much a self-protection mechanism as anything. He was just as dispassionate and equivocal when Bill Wyman left the band after 30 years.

In short, I wouldn't read too much into it.