Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

Ohhhhhh yeah. I'm watching it back again now and he's made me cringe three times already - some 'trying too hard' waffle about 'a very special feeling', singing a bit of Beyonce and then Jerusalem. There's not much crowd reaction to the start of 'Where the Streets....' straight after and I think it's because everyone's just cringed themselves up a hernia.

'I will Follow''s very good, mind.

Jerusalem was just more of Bono being too clever by half. His own bandmates mustve struggled with that one.

Find it interesting the comparison between Muse's version of "Streets" and U2's own one year later. As far as I can tell the crowd went BALLISTIC for the cover and gave a collective shrug for the original. Unprecendented stuff, that.

Jerusalem was just more of Bono being too clever by half. His own bandmates mustve struggled with that one.

Find it interesting the comparison between Muse's version of "Streets" and U2's own one year later. As far as I can tell the crowd went BALLISTIC for the cover and gave a collective shrug for the original. Unprecendented stuff, that.

Yeah Bono sang the crappy chorus to Cant Take My eye Off You for some reason.

i went down to u2 with an open mind in really good spirits despite the rain after seeing my favourite band in the entire world for the first time playing a secret set on a small(ish) stage, and u2 just instantly deflated that. it wasn't even the rain as such, it was just that i had thought "bono can't really be as annoying as everyone says, can he? surely that must just be hype and vitriol" and then finding within minutes that he definitely was, and more so .

needless to say i went to see dj shadow very quickly

I enjoyed U2 (apart from when I finally decided to surrender and pulled my hood up only to find it was full of water which promptly went down the back of my neck).

Streets was weird but the backing track that is used for the intro was all over the place, I'm not sure anyone knew exactly what was going on

I loved all the Zoo TV stuff, I Will Follow, Bad, With or Without You was great, as was Moment of Surrender but I love that song. I even enjoyed Boots and Jerusalem but... if they'd only finished on something like New Years Day then I think things may have been looked back on a little differently.

One of my biggest problems with the U2 set was that I was expecting huge singalongs for their big hits, yet when it came to it the crowd just didn't seem as loud as I'd hoped. Maybe the rain dampened everyone's enthusiasm.

Edited by pedmills

Yeah the reaction at Muse was much better. It isn't apparent from the TV but I have the vaguest memory that the intro went tits up in the field. Might be the alcohol talking but it seemed to just be 'oh that's the first verse to 'Streets''

Finally rewatched Crossfire Hurricane this weekend and I stand by my original opinion that it's effing great.

For why? For a kick off, it's directed, edited in a way to give it a bit of oomph. It has a compelling movement about it. The director's clearly watched Julien Temple's docs, and while it's not in the league of something like Oil City Confidential, it's a considerable step up from the run of the mill 'This happened. And then this happened. And then this happened' format. For want of a better word, it's kinetic.

It assumes you already know the broad outline of the story and then concentrates on imperial-phase Stones 1968 - 1972 zooming in on all sorts of backstage details and ephemera at the exclusion of the usual talking points - missing out the garage wall and the Morocco trip and the refusing to wave at the Palladium. It's the sort of movie content to give more soundtrack space to something like Ventilator Blues than it does to the majority of their 60s output, a period which, unlike in other histories, is treated as a prelude to the really interesting years. The fact that it's not that comprehensive actually works in its favour. Its limitations improve it.

That and there are substantial chunks of new material in it - home movies of Redlands, Keith Richards necking with Jolie Jones while Jagger plays the piano in his pants, etc. While it doesn't quite supplant 25 x 5, it definitely sits alongside it as an essential watch for any Stones fan worth their salt.

I enjoyed U2 (apart from when I finally decided to surrender and pulled my hood up only to find it was full of water which promptly went down the back of my neck).

Streets was weird but the backing track that is used for the intro was all over the place, I'm not sure anyone knew exactly what was going on

I loved all the Zoo TV stuff, I Will Follow, Bad, With or Without You was great, as was Moment of Surrender but I love that song. I even enjoyed Boots and Jerusalem but... if they'd only finished on something like New Years Day then I think things may have been looked back on a little differently.

It wasn't just me then. Phew.

Yeah the reaction at Muse was much better. It isn't apparent from the TV but I have the vaguest memory that the intro went tits up in the field. Might be the alcohol talking but it seemed to just be 'oh that's the first verse to 'Streets''

mmmm... not bad...

maybe it's been a very long term plan. Be really shit for a couple of decades, then, in the twilight years up your plan.

When theres a big BBC viewership! Or maybe they've taken some of the criticism on board? Theres been lots recently. Justifiably so too.

One of my biggest problems with the U2 set was that I was expecting huge singalongs for their big hits, yet when it came to it the crowd just didn't seem as loud as I'd hoped. Maybe the rain dampened everyone's enthusiasm.

I might be wrong but were Chase and Status on at the same time as U2? Cos it was throwing it down there but there was no dampening of enthusiasm at all, in fact we commented after how we had forgotten it was raining while they were on as it was such a party

I'm convinced that if U2 had played in 2010, their set would have been much better. Weather meant that there wasn't much movement/singing along from the crowd to start with. Also worth mentioning they went US show, Glastonbury, US show didn't they in a short space of time? The original plan in 2010 was to play Glastonbury as part of a European tour, and I think that would have helped them stay a bit more 'fresh' if that makes sense.

I'm *slightly* more confident about the Stones, given that a) It's not a rescheduled headline set, B) They're taking a good 5 or 6 days off before playing Glastonbury - suggesting they realise the importance of it, c) Setlist is pretty good in general, d) I desperately hope the weather will be good, could make or break the set!

I'm convinced that if U2 had played in 2010, their set would have been much better. Weather meant that there wasn't much movement/singing along from the crowd to start with. Also worth mentioning they went US show, Glastonbury, US show didn't they in a short space of time? The original plan in 2010 was to play Glastonbury as part of a European tour, and I think that would have helped them stay a bit more 'fresh' if that makes sense.

I'm *slightly* more confident about the Stones, given that a) It's not a rescheduled headline set, B) They're taking a good 5 or 6 days off before playing Glastonbury - suggesting they realise the importance of it, c) Setlist is pretty good in general, d) I desperately hope the weather will be good, could make or break the set!

They had the same plan in 2010. I was baffled when they set it up the same in 2011 I thought the year gap would have given them time to schedule things differently.

http://pitchfork.com/news/38908-u2-forced-to-cancel-glastonbury-reschedule-north-america-dates/

They had the same plan in 2010. I was baffled when they set it up the same in 2011 I thought the year gap would have given them time to schedule things differently.

http://pitchfork.com/news/38908-u2-forced-to-cancel-glastonbury-reschedule-north-america-dates/

That's crazy! I assumed it was in the middle of a European tour because they were playing a new song called 'Glastonbury' at some of their gigs beforehand. It was never played in the end...

Don't see how they thought they could pull that off!

I think the Muse cover was down to it being a surprise! (Maybe it had been reported, I didn't know...I was down the front and didn't realise it was the edge for a bit!). The atmosphere difference was really weird though yeah! I was expecting to get the spine tingles again with the opening notes !