Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

Read an article somewhere that there was 250K+ at that due to gatecrashers.

i find numbers like that really hard to believe. i did my fare share of 90s Glastonburys, most without a ticket, but i don't remember them being as busy as they are today. there may have been 250k over the course of a weekend around the whole site, but never that many at once in the Pyramid field.

every time i see a photo from that era, there's smaller crowds in front of the stages, tents are closer to the stages and with more space between them. also the Pyramid was smaller and the mixing desk closer, which can give the impression of a bigger crowd.

personally i think there's a lot of revisionism/exaggeration about those festivals. busy, certainly, but no more than today.

I think it will be v v busy, as Nal said.

In a way, I'm surprised they havent put two bigger hitters on Other & West holts to split the crowd... that said whilst Bowie, Oasis, Bruce and U2 all had crowds right up to the path near the pylon, it wasn't rammed all the way down.

We did about 6 U2 songsm then went to Barenakedladies via cider bus - it was a manageable trip.

Also left Stevie about 2/3rd of the way through and did the same journey no problems.

Not going to lie, I think this could happen.

Also my guess, say 180,000 people will be there.

Rolling Stones : 100K

Chase and Status: 40K

Public Enemy: 10K

Fuck Buttons: 5K.

Hurts: 10K

Bootlegg Beatles: 5K

Everywhere else: 10K.

I find it amusing that you've never been, but are still keen to weigh in with your expert opinion :P

That's the spirit! :)

*********chase n status fan alert*********

Haha nice one Russy. Hope your brain doesnt turn to mush processing this info but Im actually a fan of The Stones and Chase and Status, my quite diverse tastes are part of what makes Glastonbury the perfect festival for me.

There'll be protocols in place for that mate yes. First signs of that being implemented were seen when the Old Bill closed down access to the field showing the footie in 2010, and when they shut down the Park field before Pulp. Its a temp fencing/bobbies situation.

It'd be interesting to see them going about closing a field of that size off while still allowing exit for those trapped inside the cordon, that's for damn sure!

It'd be interesting to see them going about closing a field of that size off while still allowing exit for those trapped inside the cordon, that's for damn sure!

The challenge of doing it not withstanding - they have to be able to do it.

Closing the park before pulp wasn't a big issue though - two small entrances to the field, bith narrow(ish)

Pyramid Field is open for hundreds of metres - I guess they could shut the paths to either side of the stage and the one near the cider bus - and let people filter in and out at the top end - but the three main drags that converge to the left of the stage just along from the cider bus will become bottlenecks in a few minutes if they are, in effect a dead end.

Can't see it happening. Simply not enough Stewards on site to do it, you would need dozens at each pathway into the field, and also a lot on the approaches to trun people around before they join the bottleneck.

Closing the park before pulp wasn't a big issue though - two small entrances to the field, bith narrow(ish)

Pyramid Field is open for hundreds of metres - I guess they could shut the paths to either side of the stage and the one near the cider bus - and let people filter in and out at the top end - but the three main drags that converge to the left of the stage just along from the cider bus will become bottlenecks in a few minutes if they are, in effect a dead end.

Can't see it happening. Simply not enough Stewards on site to do it, you would need dozens at each pathway into the field, and also a lot on the approaches to trun people around before they join the bottleneck.

I guess they could always use water cannons, tazers and sarin gas to keep people away if it got really busy

Definitely one of my favourites, and only a disappointment in relation to what came before. Critically I can see that, say, Dancing With Mr D isn't as strong an opening track as SFTD, Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar or Rocks Off, but on its own terms I like the album a lot and Winter is one of their unsung, hidden masterpieces.

Two of their best - I've also also got a lot of time for 100 Years Ago, which is neither one thing or t'other but all good.

Hide Your Love's a bit throwaway and Silver Train is just a less punchy All Down the Line, but I'd reckon 4 times out of 5 I'd probably choose to listen to Goat's Head Soup over Let It Bleed.

Just gave Goats Head Soup a re-listen. At the time, it was a bit of a disappointment, but looking back on it, they haven't done anything as good since.

They should do Star Star at Glasto.

Do a McCartney "I believe the BBC have joined us".

"Keef.... gimme some of that Chuck Berry........."

Did you track down the official realease of The Brussels Affair bootleg from the 1973 tour of Europe?

An absolute bargain for a fiver.

http://www.stonesarchive.com/bootleg_years/1973/

No longer available in the UK USA & some other countries via Stone Archive - you have to buy through Google Play - a couple of quid dearer but still worth every penny.

I've got so confused over the years with the different versions of that show... THE best live version of Midnight Rambler!

I think the 'official' Stones Archive with the 'The' is actually a different show (the second night) to the one that circulated for years as 'Brussels Affair' and 'Bedspring Symphony' and what have you. Though admittedly I'm no expert on the bootlegs.

you think?

Mind you, I'm not into being right down the front, I'm happiest at the back of the pit.

As I am but theres always a big clear out of people going for food/toilet etc. Maybe 75% or more. Ive been in the pit for a few big headliners (Bruce, Neil, U2) and never had an issue. Even at Bruce when a few hundred w*nkers from Backstreets turned up and camped in the pit all day.

Just be at the edge of the pit ready to rock/push for 30 seconds when the Scream end and youll be fine.

In my experience if you turn up just as the sub-headliner finishes, you can be very near the front.

However, I think this time will be a little busier so I think you will probably need to already be in the crowd during Primal Scream's set in order to get into the pit.