Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

I can see that CG, there's nothing more thrilling than a band that are on the verge of falling apart or even just going through the motions when the magic kicks in. It's why I persevere with loads of ropey stuff, for the connection.

But is that still happening? Genuin question, I don't know enough about their live shows now. I know that used to happen, does it still?

Bout ten years ago that was a guarantee.

30...? maybe ...

30 years ago they were a touch-tight little combo with danger in the air but no real risk to the quality of the output. There was a menace in their madness.

:D

Edited by Wooderson

But is that still happening? Genuin question, I don't know enough about their live shows now. I know that used to happen, does it still?

I guess we'll find out. I've not seen them in 6 years! I'm reasonably optimistic given the general sense that the reunion shows so far have been good going on great.

Not seen that 'highlights' video yet, mind. Though I'm not sure I want to. Press reports of the gig don't seem to mention any disasters, but whether that's awed young journos giving them a free pass I dunno.

This is what intrigues me. I'll sit through and hour of dross for that moment of thrill, of genuine urgency and saving it just as it's about to collapse. But, for the moment, I'm dubious.

Edited by Mardy

Mick Taylor on "Midnight Rambler" is what you're talking about Mardy.

You know, this is the first proper dilmma I can remember at Glastonbury. Sometimes I think, fuck it, it'll be dreadful, other mornings, like today, I'm tempted to go and watch.

... but whether that's awed young journos giving them a free pass I dunno.

We could end up with a field full of awed young music fans that are equally as forgiving.

I've not seen the Stones live for about 10 years but back then they could still kick up a racket when they got going. Probably as much down to the additional musicians they have with them.

I've mentioned before but I've seen them 5 times before and the only disappointment was with the crowd at the last one and I put that down to the silly ticket prices bringing out the gig going equivilant of the prawn sarnie brigade.

On the previous 4 times it was stadium gigs. The crowd were up for it and to be honest I couldn't tell you if any mistakes were made, everyone round where I was seemed to be having a fantastic time, no doubt helped along by drink or whatever else they had been on. I expect the same at Glastonbury.

It's gonna be ace.

On the subject of old rockers, because I can't be bothered to start a new thread and because I reckon a lot of people bothered by the Stones would have an interest, any chance Ginger Baker brings his new collective to Glasto? If we could get him on West Holts on Saturday afternoon he could play with Steve Winwood (and Clapton when he turns up) and then guest with The Stones, somehow, couldn't he?

I'm definitely more in the 'dance my socks off' camp than the 'study the musicianship' one.

But there's a limit, having seen the Stone Roses/Ian Brown a number of times the 'they may sound rough and raw but that makes it more exciting and enjoyable' line isn't always right.

But there's a limit, having seen the Stone Roses/Ian Brown a number of times the 'they may sound rough and raw but that makes it more exciting and enjoyable' line isn't always right.

Indeed. I cringing a couple of times during the Roses last summer when Brownie was "singing". Made of Stone in Manchester - I don't think he hit one correct note for the entire song.

Indeed. I cringing a couple of times during the Roses last summer when Brownie was "singing". Made of Stone in Manchester - I don't think he hit one correct note for the entire song.

The sound editor for the Shane Meadows doc mustve earned his corn.

I think that it's realy telling that they got away with that last year, but they absolutely fucking bombed at Coachella because his inability to hold a tune wasn't hidden by the euphoria/nostalgia/sense of event.

It's like going to see the Pogues any time since about 1988, they can be as shambolic as all fuck, but the massive goodwill from the audience carries it.

Have had gimme shelter in my head since resale day, not been this excited for a gig ever. The stones at glasto, history in the making.

Thought I'd never see them whereas seen most of the live music I wanted to in life so I already felt very lucky. A dream come true really to be there on this special year, looking at some footage of recent gigs I'm impressed and the atmosphere will be amazing

It's like going to see the Pogues any time since about 1988, they can be as shambolic as all fuck, but the massive goodwill from the audience carries it.

It's why the setlist is key. Too many 'connoisseurs' selections a la Emotional Rescue and the adrenaline will flag, causing people to start hearing the bum notes that they might miss during the likes of Brown Sugar.

i honestly don't think it sounds that bad. i get that it's definitely a novelty song, especially since they've never played it live before, but it sounds a hell of a lot better than a lot of the other stuff from this recent tour i've gotta say. and the vocals... whilst not fantastic, it's nice to see Mick stretching himself somewhat with the higher vocals