Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

The fact remains that they are a bunch of greedy c**ts

if i was in the position they're in i'd be a greedy c**t too! not that that's at all justifying these ridiculous ticket prices, but if people are willing to pay these ridiculous prices (which they clearly are) then why charge any less? i wonder just how far they could push the prices up before even the wealthy would say 'wait a minute!'

So from what it looks like I've gathered that The Rolling Stones have took a sort of T in the Park approach to selling tickets. They announce a single date before their tour to get hype started, lots of people talking and one of the biggest gigs of the years. Knowing fine well Glastonbury had already sold out it worked to their advantage as people would be thinking "Oh i'd really like to go see The Rolling Stones" as the hype starts to slowly die down from the announcement they thought "Hell we will announce the rest now". Que thousands of people thinking that they couldn't see The Rolling Stones but now will be due to the added dates on the tour.

Don't know if this has been brought up before but it genuinely looks like Glastonbury played part in their promotion of the tour. This worst part is that it will have worked well.

So from what it looks like I've gathered that The Rolling Stones have took a sort of T in the Park approach to selling tickets. They announce a single date before their tour to get hype started, lots of people talking and one of the biggest gigs of the years. Knowing fine well Glastonbury had already sold out it worked to their advantage as people would be thinking "Oh i'd really like to go see The Rolling Stones" as the hype starts to slowly die down from the announcement they thought "Hell we will announce the rest now". Que thousands of people thinking that they couldn't see The Rolling Stones but now will be due to the added dates on the tour.

Don't know if this has been brought up before but it genuinely looks like Glastonbury played part in their promotion of the tour. This worst part is that it will have worked well.

Does it matter?

I get what you're saying, but they're not the first and won't be the last band to use a Glasto appearance to boost their own worth. Glasto have pulled a massive coup and got the Rolling Stones for cheap.

Now if the Stones feel they need to milk the rich and insane to balance out playing Glasto then I'm all for it.

Does it matter?

I get what you're saying, but they're not the first and won't be the last band to use a Glasto appearance to boost their own worth. Glasto have pulled a massive coup and got the Rolling Stones for cheap.

Now if the Stones feel they need to milk the rich and insane to balance out playing Glasto then I'm all for it.

No it doesn't matter either way. I had just made an observation which i only realised when i was reading through some of the comments on here. I couldn't care less either but i realised how much of a smart move it was for them to announce the Glastonbury date first and then announce the rest of them.

It was also beneficial for the festival too because in a fallow year they obviously don't get alot of converge and from the fact that they announced The Stones it's brought the festival back into light again.

No it doesn't matter either way. I had just made an observation which i only realised when i was reading through some of the comments on here. I couldn't care less either but i realised how much of a smart move it was for them to announce the Glastonbury date first and then announce the rest of them.

It was also beneficial for the festival too because in a fallow year they obviously don't get alot of converge and from the fact that they announced The Stones it's brought the festival back into light again.

Not really Glastonbury is Glastonbury. The stones should be proud to be apart of it. They are doing it for the money. Playing Glastonbury raises there profile and album sales will go up. You would be a fool to think otherwise

Not really Glastonbury is Glastonbury. The stones should be proud to be apart of it. They are doing it for the money. Playing Glastonbury raises there profile and album sales will go up. You would be a fool to think otherwise

Yeah i've seen the numbers for the album sales and so on after Glastonbury. But regardless the point i was trying to make previously was that Glastonbury is obviously a big thing for the Eavis' (The farm first ofcourse) and like anyone they want to see their festival do well. They by this point know that sales isn't a problem as it has been selling comfortably for the past few years but it is more the idea that they see the festival being spoken about and being given recognition on a large scale. The Rolling Stones helped achieve that for them but all The Rolling Stones wanted was the money and that's it.

Hyde park must be one of the worst places to watch a gig these days. Not heard a good word about it for years now.

Who are all these people willing to pay hundreds of pounds to see the Stones there? Can't blame the band if people are stupid enough to do it I guess!

Stones tickets are £95 according to the official site! Would be interesting to see if someone on here was seeing them both at Glastonbury and Hyde Park, give us a comparison afterwards!

I'm one of the people "stupid enough" to pay to see The Stones in Hyde Park as well... Ive paid £95 for GA ticket, Im not bothered about getting that close these days to be honest. £95.00 for a big band at a gig like this isnt a million miles away from what a lot of people charge so no grumbling on that account from me.

Really wanted to go to the O2 last year but couldnt afford to.

I was at Hyde Park for Blur last year, a little way behind the sound desk, I thought the sound was pretty good as well? Ive been to hundreds and hundreds of gigs both indoors and out and I really didt think the sound was as bad as Ive heard a number of people say.

And... that Glastonbury compared to Hyde Park review of The Stones, I'll drop something after the Hype Park gig in a new thread.

I imagine they'll play on the continent as well.

Thats against all the rhetoric we've heard. No one has mentioned anything more than a US tour, glasto and a few London dates.

I'd be very surprised if they announce a European tour having kept up to date with all the little tidbits around the stones.

I can't see them being up to the demands of a European tour, especially keith

Edited by GuitarManDan15

guarantee that they announce more UK dates after hysteria alone sells out Hyde Park. Olympic Stadium maybe? Wembley?

Unlikely - another Hyde Park gig the following weekend but nothing else this year in the UK I would guess. After these shows there is talk of Australia and others later in the year but nothing is apparently guaranteed.

Looks like the ticket site's a bit of a joke...

Think I'll just hold off for the 13th and splash out on FOS.

Really? I got through pretty quickly and had to be a little persistent, the site kept saying there werent enough tickets but I carried on trying regardless and after a few minutes it offered up the four tickets I was after.

Having said that, I just had another look and the pre sale tickets appear to be sold now..

Thats against all the rhetoric we've heard. No one has mentioned anything more than a US tour, glasto and a few London dates.

I'd be very surprised if they announce a European tour having kept up to date with all the little tidbits around the stones.

I can't see them being up to the demands of a European tour, especially keith

There were rumours of European dates when the provisional dates were 'leaked' (or put up/whatever) the other day.

I'd be surprised if they don't at least play Paris.

I feel for the stones to get Glasto right they'll have to start out with 3/4 big hits and end on some big ones too, its normally the first 5 or so songs that set up the set so hopefully they start on some bangers.

Still think U2 should have started on Beautiful Day, I understand bands are a bit wary though because the sound could start out shit so they tend to test with a shit one at festivals.

I thought U2 started out great, lot of energy. Then they kind of just filled up the rest of the set, with hits scattered throughout. I reckon they should have ended on a bigger hit as well.