Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

I've never understood why people say they should jack it in. Performing and creating music is all they've ever done, and they do it because they love it. When they do play, thousands of people want to see them, and they want to play.. what's the problem?

I'm in a band, I'm in my 50's, I do it because I want to do it. One of the guys in the band said to me, about The Stones, "why do they do it?".. and I asked him "why do you do it?"

For me it's not about their age or how long they've been playing - that should, after all, mean they have had more practice and be better. I would have asked them to jack it in in 1978ish. To me, and I realise it is only my opinion, they were always over-hyped, over-produced and over-priced. I don't believe they have ever done it just for the love of the music .... I think they found a way to cater for their love of the other m word - money.

I really respect and spend a lot of my free time listening to bands who most people have never heard of. While I've kissed a few frogs in doing that, more often I find myself wondering why the person I'm thinking is amazing is not even known by others. I resent the fact that less able musicians rake in millions while people who work their very talented arses off are left virtually destitute.

That's the difficulty I have, plain and simple.

you don't know much about them then...

money became Jaggers motivation, but it wasn't in the beginning, and I don't believe Keith has ever given a fuck about it really

are you seriously suggesting they aren't able musicians?

You are right. I don't know much about them ... I don't like them enough to know much about them but ...

Jagger went to the LSE - shows some interest in finance. And we're talking about why they KEEP playing - not why they started. So by your own admission he is no longer interested simply in the music.

Keith has never given a fuck about money????? what else paid for his habit?

Now to the question of are they able musicians? From what I hear of their recent gigs, I'm thinking they're barely competant and sound good only when others play along. And they've had 50 years to practice!

I've never understood why people say they should jack it in. Performing and creating music is all they've ever done, and they do it because they love it. When they do play, thousands of people want to see them, and they want to play.. what's the problem?

I'm in a band, I'm in my 50's, I do it because I want to do it. One of the guys in the band said to me, about The Stones, "why do they do it?".. and I asked him "why do you do it?"

they should jack it in for a number of reasons: they are clearly creatively spent...they havent produced any decent new music since the late 70s (being generous). They have almost become a parody of themselves. Most importantly, the demonstrate little interest in their music or their fans (if they did, why release yet another greatest hits package?) - they're just in it for the money.

My big issue on what I've seen on this tour, is that they're clearly under rehearsed. And for the prices they are charging, thats extremely cynical and poor. Even for them.

Of all the bands I love, regardless of age, I've never skipped through live performances from cringing like I did on a few songs from their gig the other night. Some of it was absolutely diabolical.

nobody has to see them. If it was me, at that age (which I'm not far off), I'd still want to play.

I agree that they have definitley become a parody, but then most (not all) bands/singers who have managed to continue playing into their old age are. They have never given a shit about their fans.

indeed, noone has to see them...and, given everything else you say (plus the fact that they're frankly shit) I am at something of a loss to understand why anyone would want to

they should still have shut the fuck up years ago though

They have never given a shit about their fans.

Their live performances have never reflected their musical ability... they're lazy.. they're under re-hearsed, they still don't know how to end a song at the same time as each other, they've always been that way.

Now, can someone please remind me why I think (and have always thought) the Stones are shite? Oh, you just did!

(and if live performances don't reflect musical ability - what does? Session musicians?)

their recordings..

(which are not session musicians)

..... their songs, their originality, their stage shows, which for a while were amazing...

that's right...no session musicians

except (for example) Nicky Hopkins, Bobby Keys, Jimmy Miller (ok, he did some other stuff too), Ian Stewart, Jim Price, Billy Preston, Al Perkins, Bill Plummer, Richard Washington and a bus load of backing singers...and that's just on Exile....there's just as many on Goats Haed Soup

(in my opinion) the only really gifted musician in the Stones is Charlie, who is a great tubthumper. Keith is a journeyman guitarist (I prefer Ronnie Wood's sound)

they were a great a band (were being the operative word) and produced a handful of properly brilliant albums...the rest is a mixture of self-parody, greed and pissing on your fans...

I'd probably watch the stones as, imo, very few artists have a back catalogue that compares - even if they can't play them as they used to. Add a lot of drink and a crowd that knows the songs inside out and i'd have a great time - it worked for the stone roses at heaton park!

Wren, Mani and Squire are superb musicians. The opening lick from Squire on 'Adored' at Heaton Park is my live music moment of the year. Comparing that with the Stones is nonsensical, sorry.

Yes they are and it was one of mine too. Then Ian Brown started 'singing' and the crowd were more in tune than he was - a fact that i happily overlooked in enjoying a fantastic gig. My point was that, on occasion, i have no problem with ignoring lesser elements of a live act if they have other aspects which make up for it.

• 2 weeks later...