Rolling Stones...

Karlhippy

Not linking to The Sun to bump up their page hits, but they have an article today claiming that Eavis is'close' to booking the Stones.

It doesn't seem substantiated by anything and is probably just based on guesswork, but it still doesn't diminish the fact that both sides seem to be flirting with each other.

Sounds pretty much like exactly what Neil said. They want em....the don't have em yet.

I suppose to Glastos advantage it's unlikely that any other festival is going to get the Stones so bidding against exclusivity isn't going to be an issue and if Jagger does love the dollar...then surely being able to do Glastonbury aswell as any of their own shows is only going to fill their pockets further? The coverage and press that they'd get for playing the festival would be far greater then most bands get (look how much attention they're getting just for possibly playing).

Not only that but if they nail a Glasto set then it goes down in the history books and should give them a fairly hefty boost in sales of their greatist hits.... then again I'm looking at this through rose tinted Glasto glasses.

And with The Stones, they do things at their own speed and not anyone else's. If you're not prepared to wait and hope they'll say yes, then the answer is a certain no.

Dear Mr Tom Yorke+co we would love to ask a huge favour of you and were wondering if you'd be our backup headliner choice incase we don't get the Rolling Stones seeing as how you're our best mates and all next to Chris Martin and his band?

Kind Regards

Glastonbury Festival.

Not only that but if they nail a Glasto set then it goes down in the history books and should give them a fairly hefty boost in sales of their greatist hits....

while that's true, I'm not sure that's an angle which will interest Jagger. My take on him is that he's a "jam today" sort of guy when it comes to The Stones, rather than the "jam tomorrow" guy he'd need to be to go with the boost in sales they'd get.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a Hyde Park show next summer.

So i've heard that's a definite part of their plans. I don't know the date for certain but my guess is Friday 5th July (and perhaps other shows on the days after).

I don't think anything about a HP show will affect their decision about Glasto tho. I think that'll be a simple decision on whether they want to do other UK shows, and whether the lucre on offer (perhaps both indirectly as well as directly) is enough for them to want to do an extra show.

I'm pretty sure eavis said a while back he had booked the headliners. You can never trust what he says but hey

he did - much as he's said for most festivals over the last ten years (or m0ore) which later comments of his have got to prove as untrue.

I think those "I've sorted the headliners" statements are more that he's identified who he wants to book rather than that he's actually booked them. But anyway, the length of time until the next fest when he makes those statements always means that there's a chance of things changing - cos people's plans change sometimes.

the headliners only get sorted when they can get sorted.

Beyonce wasn't sorted until just before xmas last year.

Stevie Wonder wasn't sorted until late January/early Feb the year before.

Both of those were sorted so late because the acts that Eavis had lined up to headline in front of them didn't happen ... and in the case of Stevie Wonder, guess who the band was that Eavis was keeping his fingers crossed for?

I can imagine that putting together a touring schedule for any reasonable sized band is a far harder job than most people think, because although a band might think "let's go on tour in March" (say), whether they can actually do that is dependent on the venues they want to play being available, and available on suitable dates so the band doesn't have to keep travelling from one end of the country to the other.

When it comes to the sorts of bands which headline fests it probably gets even harder, because from the bands side they'd like all of the offers before them so they can pick what they think are the best (in exposure, as well as money, as well as ease of touring), while the people who are making the offers will be wanting a yes or no asap so they can move onto their next choice as quickly as possible if the answer is no. Add in the sorts of restrictive clauses that tend to be pretty standard for the biggest bands (because promoters want to protect their investment in that band) and things get even more awkward.

And with The Stones, they do things at their own speed and not anyone else's. If you're not prepared to wait and hope they'll say yes, then the answer is a certain no.

I don't believe that The Stones are firmly booked yet, and I doubt they will be until near the end of the year or early next year if they get booked at all. And I still think that there's a greater chance of them saying 'no' than 'yes', because Jagger is not the sort of man who believes in doing shows on the cheap (which a show at Glastonbury would be).

Will you ever tell us who the much talked about 4th headliner was supposed to be in 2009 or 2010 (can't remember the year)????

Now that the Stones are no longer with Michael Cohl, I think there's a possibility that someone's sat Jagger down and pointed out the reality of their likely ticket sales if they were to tour again.

The last time they played London they couldn't sell out the O2 for three nights - now granted that was their second pass through the UK on that tour, but the reality is that the number of tickets being shifted was declining and some of the European stadia they were playing in were looking decidedly underpopulated. Basically, the Stones market was saturated - due to a number of factors - exorbitant ticket prices, global recession, relative frequency of tours, shitty all-seater gigs and the observable decline in Keith's playing.

It might well be that the model shifts from to support sales of Grrrr! and the back catalogue, which could mean that Glasto's not so unlikely after all.

Now that the Stones are no longer with Michael Cohl, I think there's a possibility that someone's sat Jagger down and pointed out the reality of their likely ticket sales if they were to tour again.

The last time they played London they couldn't sell out the O2 for three nights - now granted that was their second pass through the UK on that tour, but the reality is that the number of tickets being shifted was declining and some of the European stadia they were playing in were looking decidedly underpopulated. Basically, the Stones market was saturated - due to a number of factors - exorbitant ticket prices, global recession, relative frequency of tours, shitty all-seater gigs and the observable decline in Keith's playing.

It might well be that the model shifts from to support sales of Grrrr! and the back catalogue, which could mean that Glasto's not so unlikely after all.

Ive read quite a few of your Stones related comments on this thread and also in the HEadliners thread(?).

Out of all the Stones comments you seem to have the most balanced view of whats happening. You clearly are a fan and also visit the same Stones boards that I do (Shidoobee, IORR plus one or two others..).

Tend to agree with your view on whats happening at the moment, think it is highly likely to happen but probably not quite signed up. I guess they are whipping up interest and a storm with these few end of year shows and will then, health permitting do some bigger Summer shows around the world next year. Wouldnt be surprised to see Glastonbury and Hyde Park the following weekend, maybe 2/3 nights even at Hyde Park depending on interest.. I'm guessing nothing like the scale of the last few world tours though.

Not sure what ticket sales next time through would be like either. I really think they need to get back to standing stadium shows at a reasonable price. I paid £120 (ish) last time out for my O2 ticket and was miles back. Far cry from the £30 or so I paid to stand down the front at Wembley Stadium in 1990...

Why? I don't like the people who read it on the whole but it is a legitimate and citeable news source.

I'm guessing the majority of people (like me) who dont want that paper quoted feel as strongly as they do based on their coverage of what happened at Hillsborough.

I'm not asking you to agree with it, I'm just telling you why I suspect the majority of people feel that way.

I'm guessing the majority of people (like me) who dont want that paper quoted feel as strongly as they do based on their coverage of what happened at Hillsborough.

I'm not asking you to agree with it, I'm just telling you why I suspect the majority of people feel that way.

Thats part of it but a small portion for me to be honest. Their complete and utter lack of journalistic integrity in general is what bothers me.

Thats part of it but a small portion for me to be honest. Their complete and utter lack of journalistic integrity in general is what bothers me.

I feel the same way about the Star but they tent to be very good with Festival rumours and I would happily post a link to their site if they have something worth reading.

Same with the sun.

And I still think that there's a greater chance of them saying 'no' than 'yes', because Jagger is not the sort of man who believes in doing shows on the cheap (which a show at Glastonbury would be).

I think you are half joking, but I do find the assumption that Jagger is a tight arse rather tedious. It prob is true but I don't know him, or anything about his financial arrangements so am happy to assume it's exaggerated tabloid/ back of guitar shop w*nk. I'll leave it with the Marianne Faithful and the Mars bar anecdote.

Let's though assume he is tight...

So, unless he is a total halfwit he would realise the potential massive hype, media saturation, airplay, TV footage potential to coincide with the new Greatest Hits package. Like he's going to go, "no...I'm not singing for 2 hour because i'm not getting paid much...."

If it doesn't happen it will not just be because Jagger is tight. It will be a combination of other commitments/ world tour/ in a different country/ not doing that many gigs... bla bla bla..

I think you are half joking, but I do find the assumption that Jagger is a tight arse rather tedious. It prob is true but I don't know him, or anything about his financial arrangements so am happy to assume it's exaggerated tabloid/ back of guitar shop w*nk. I'll leave it with the Marianne Faithful and the Mars bar anecdote.

Let's though assume he is tight...

So, unless he is a total halfwit he would realise the potential massive hype, media saturation, airplay, TV footage potential to coincide with the new Greatest Hits package. Like he's going to go, "no...I'm not singing for 2 hour because i'm not getting paid much...."

If it doesn't happen it will not just be because Jagger is tight. It will be a combination of other commitments/ world tour/ in a different country/ not doing that many gigs... bla bla bla..

Then perhaps he's a halfwit. :lol:

I'm not saying what I'm saying to be joking, nor to be tedious. I'm giving you my informed opinion of what I know of how the Stones have tended to work over the years. And of course I could be wrong about that (but comments from all over the place suggest I'm not), and nothing about what has happened previously has to apply this time either anyway.

We're all very aware that playing Glasto will probably do wonders for Stones back catalogue sales, and that from a straightforwards economic view of playing Glastonbury, any shortfall in the fee should be more than made up by record sales.

But that still doesn't mean that Jagger will necessarily want to do that. He knows what fee they're able to command for a live show, and his view might be that they shouldn't take anything less no matter of what other benefits there might be. He's allowed to do that.

And while he might knock Glasto back for a combination of reasons, he might not either. He might simply decide that he's not prepared to play a cut-price show.

A live show, on a stage at an event that isn't theirs to have total control of, can be a tricky event to do, especially for a band as unreliable (live) as The Stones. I think McCartney's (and some others) reputation has nose-dived since the jubilee and olympic concerts. The Stones did well to turn the closing ceremony down...... imo.

They'd want to be pretty sure they end up looking and sounding as good as they possibly can, if they were to do it

There's also the chance that with that uncertainty they may not want to be on live TV, which negates the 'increased exposure' selling point. Eavis said that the TV was the sticking point with U2 for a long time for example. I can see plenty of reasons why the Stones would say no.

I also suepct if they do it, the other two headliners will be acts who may do it for relatively little, e.g. (guessing here) Arctic Monkeys, Mumfords, Kasabian, even RHCP