GuilFest's future in doubt

Guest 5co77ie

Desperately sad news if it's ceased trading. I've been to every one.

If anyone thinks that Festival organisers make huge sums of money, the news from Guilfest coming just days after the news about Vince Power's Hop Farm should make people think again.

Tony Scott deserves better. He is one of the good guys who, with his team, has worked damn hard to keep an excellent festival going over many years.

Tony's had to overcome huge obstacles before. I very much hope he can do so again.

Edited by Medina

I had a chat with Tony yesterday, and it's been two consecutive wet fests that's done for him - he reckoned he could have ridden this year's problems out if last year hadn't have also been bad.

He finished the convo saying he's not done yet, and that he expects to be back with something somehow somewhen, but maybe a different event and maybe in a different place.

a good fest but too family friendly imo.

yeah, from my convo with Tony yesterday, that's actually been a problem for it in recent years.

Tony was saying that often when he's out in Guilfest for a drink he gets hassled by unhappy people who have been subjected to a drugs search when they're not drug takers and aren't carrying drugs - to the extent that it's spoilt their day and made them reluctant to return.

The rules insisted on the council for the kidzone have been beyond stupid too (tho they might have changed more recently, I don't know), where an aunt or uncle is not allowed to enter the kidzone with their nephew/niece.

Both of these examples are things ultimately outside of the festival's control. They can try to influence them, but what they say only counts for something if the police or council are prepared to listen.... and in the case of the old bill, I presume (this isn't from anything Tony has said to me) that they charge the festival for their very-over-the-top policing - and probably come in such force because of the money they can extract from the festival for doing so - but by doing so are killing off the very thing they want (the cash flow into their coffers).

It's all very well wanting to make it a safe place for families, but all common sense is clearly missing from some people around this festival. I went to quite a few festivals this summer - including ones much larger than Guilfest - where I didn't see a copper all weekend. At Guilfest it was almost impossible not to see one at any time you had your eyes open.

As the police face more and more budget cuts of their own I fear they will start trying to charge festivals more for 'special policing' or even just to cover the cost of their normal policing in the surrounding area.

This could become a real problem especially as the cost for each police officer can exceed £50 per hour, substantially more than the cost of experienced SIA-badged security personnel.

As the police face more and more budget cuts of their own I fear they will start trying to charge festivals more for 'special policing' or even just to cover the cost of their normal policing in the surrounding area.

This could become a real problem especially as the cost for each police officer can exceed £50 per hour, substantially more than the cost of experienced SIA-badged security personnel.

I'd say the old bill in certain places have been using festivals as cash cows for quite a while.

Luckily, I think there's a number of legal precidents in place (most have come from football I think) which mean that the old bill won't be able to charge for policing in the vicinity.

And pleasingly it looks like WOMAD managed to face down the old bill and their demands this year, so - providing crime is low, as it is at WOMAD - I'd guess it's possible for other places to do the same (tho I know that each force works things in a different way).

• 8 months later...

Yes GuilFest has gone but now there is a new festival for Surrey - no not that Magic FM, we have launched The Undercover Festival not as big as GuilFest but we hope you will like it all the same.

An Exciting New Fully "Independent" Festival for Surrey with 40 plus bands performing on 2 stages and a The Vive Le Classique Room playing Vinyl Only

On the 20th and 21st September 2013 nr Bisley

Dreadzone, The Cockney Rejects, The Skints, The Glitter Band, 999, Stone Foundation, Chelsea, TV Smith, The Bermondsey Joyriders, + many many more

Launching an exciting New Independent Festival for Surrey on the 20th and 21st September 2013.

Punk, Ska, Northern, Indie, Alternative, & Acoustic + all at a bargain price; what more can you ask for?

for only £45 BOTH DAYS check out www.undercoverfest.com for all the latest news, line up, ticket details or places to stay / camp on site or nearby

If you liked The Vive Le Rock Stage @ GuilFest you will LOVE "The Undercover Festival”

The Undercover Festival is not an open air festival - the festival will be held in 2 rooms and a marquee at the Bisley Pavilion - undercover by nature of the music policy of this festival and undercover - well because it is....

The people behind TUVF aim to create a fun festival that encapsulates and builds on the great spirit that was created in the VLR stage at GuilFest.

FOR FULL DETAILS GO TO www.undercoverfest.com/tickets

• 2 months later...