Bestival 2013 early bird tickets

Guest mattrik3

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bestival this year blew Reading away, will definitely look into getting my ticket once T-day is over & I get my next pay. The two festivals so close together has really hit my finances a bit & I can't justify going through this hassle again next year so it'll have to be one or the other. Enough time between Glasto & Bestival to save up though.

Edited by Couchy

The idea of returning to Bestival in 2013 isn't the least bit attractive to me (yet), and I am in no rush to get tickets. Few reasons:

First of all, I already have Download lined up mainly because I loved the people there in 2012 and the music was great - Rammstein also help tip it for me. Also, my missus has insisted I give Glastonbury a try for the first time, and we've both been advised to try out Shamballa too purely because it's local. So that's nearly £600 right there and looking like our holiday plans scrapped for next year based on our predicted income for 2013, and if you take into account that between us we can get through nearly £300 at each festival on top of the asking price for a ticket - over £300 if you go to Bestival with the ferry costs and so on. We're looking at over £1000 spent purely on festivals in 2013 if we go to 4. If you can afford to spend an inordinate amount of money going to multiple festivals every year then frankly I think you deserve to be amongst the scum with disposable income who seemed to contribute to the general overall carefree and disposable atmosphere of Bestival 2012.

Second of all, the line-up to Bestival 2012 was announced after I got the early bird ticket, and it was a mistake I made taking into consideration the fact the line-up wasn't really up my street when it WAS announced. It was 'ok' but it wasn't 2011's line-up; bit cut price, dominated by lots of indie landfill... complained about it all year really. Got there and didn't see half the bands I wanted, really not a fan of overly hot weather so was too knackered and ill from my dust allergy to trapse from one hill to the next and see the bands I did and most of the tents were too packed for me to properly enjoy the music when I got there anyway so I didn't bother. I expect it to be exactly the same in 2013. The weather was an important factor in me not enjoying Bestival this year and in some ways it seemed to bring out the worst in a lot of people, but this obviously isn't the festival's fault. The w*nky line-up, however, was.

Third; the vibe of the festival itself - within the space of one year - has gone downhill remarkably. 2011 was amazing; I absolutely loved it, but only an idiot could bury his head in the sand and not see the overwhelming amount of arseholes Bestival attracted this year. Bestival is not a shite festival by any means; far from it in fact; but it's crowd - with seemingly less variety than last year, more aggression, less consideration, less desire to take care of the site, worse drugs, even worse alcohol, and worsening attitudes... honestly, they can fuck off back to Reading and V. I felt the vibe from 2011 actually in the campsite I stayed in, and it prompted me at one point to say to my missus "fancy staying here for the day?" because going to the arena to listen to a bunch of bands I have no interest in (who NOBODY seemed interested in, to be honest) and be surrounded by w*nkers was far less appealing than sitting in a chair, in the sun, with a cold whiskey and coke, having conversations with people about the music we loved and doing Stephen Hawking impressions.

The only thing that would make me go back to Bestival - as with Reading/Leeds - would be the line-up, because the line-up would reflect on the crowd it attracts. I am not asking for a bunch of bands for chin strokers (like me); more a bunch of bands suited to more mature attitudes. Less indie landfill shite; less Radio 1 shite; less Pitchfork bollocks; more 'older' bands, more psych and noise rock, more House or Rave music, more hip hop, more reggae. Give me 10 or 20 of those and I'll be happy. Anybody under the illusion that Bestival is not all about the music is talking out of their arses; anybody sucked in by the 10 year anniversary marketing tool is a fool; anybody who thinks they're saving anything by buying an early bird is an idiot.

Wait and be patient. It might even be good. I'm not interested in Bestival 2013 yet but I will be keeping a very close eye on it over the course of the next few months.

Edited by Dave The Hedgehog

2011 was a special year at Bestival, the line up was incredible and I can honestly compare it with some of the great experiences I have had at Glastonbury over the years. With acts like the The Cure, Primal Scream, Groove Armada, Macabees, Public Enemy and Brian Wilson playing, Bestival had a lot to live to up to this year and unfortuantely it did not quite meet my expectations.

The site appeared much busier too and I would agree with Dave that the crowd seemed very different from 2011 and not in a good way. I would personally want to see who is playing next year before buying a ticket, even with the accessible payment scheme.

For anyone who has not been to Bestival I would still say it is a no brainer to go, it is still one of the best festivals in the UK, although I might look at Festival no6 or Electric Picnic as a replacement in 2013.

Edited by hawkzred

The idea of returning to Bestival in 2013 isn't the least bit attractive to me (yet), and I am in no rush to get tickets. Few reasons:

First of all, I already have Download lined up mainly because I loved the people there in 2012 and the music was great - Rammstein also help tip it for me.

And here was me having found Download 2012 the worst festival I've ever been to.

You get through £300 at each festival on top of ticket price? I did Bestival, with ticket and ferry costs, for only just over that this year.

And what Pitchfork bollocks was there?

I hope you're not. You come across like a complete and utter twat.

- What I liked about the Download experience was purely the fact it wasn't trying to be anything other than a corporate shindig, and a bloody good excuse to show off some great rock bands. The crowd there were always up for it too - never a dull moment. Won't complain about the ladies either.

- No, I get through about £150 at festivals, maybe even less. In fact, Bestival cost me personally about £300 tops this year. I should clarify it was about £300 combined.

- Well, actually, not much and what there was (2:54, Sigur Ros, Dirty Beaches) was good, but me saying that is to stop people from assuming that's the sort of thing I want, which I don't. What I think Bestival suffers from the most is subjecting people to Radio 1 standards of listening. Latitude or any ATP festival is more Pitchfork territory, the latter of which I'd actually consider putting money down on as well.

- Well, sorry for that, I'm just providing some feedback on the overall quality of the festival and explaining why I won't be so quick to put my money down on Bestival. Personally, I think Bestival (alongside Glastonbury) will be one of the most popular festivals next year; 2012 was a vintage year for the festival and one that I think will sustain it for 2013... but that's the problem. When Reading goes downhill and loses it's audience, most of them will end up at Bestival because it's the next big thing; cool; "hip".

If you can afford to spend an inordinate amount of money going to multiple festivals every year then frankly I think you deserve to be amongst the scum with disposable income who seemed to contribute to the general overall carefree and disposable atmosphere of Bestival 2012.

First of all, I already have Download lined up mainly because I loved the people there in 2012 and the music was great - Rammstein also help tip it for me. Also, my missus has insisted I give Glastonbury a try for the first time, and we've both been advised to try out Shamballa too purely because it's local. So that's nearly £600 right there and looking like our holiday plans scrapped for next year based on our predicted income for 2013, and if you take into account that between us we can get through nearly £300 at each festival on top of the asking price for a ticket - over £300 if you go to Bestival with the ferry costs and so on. We're looking at over £1000 spent purely on festivals in 2013 if we go to 4. If you can afford to spend an inordinate amount of money going to multiple festivals every year then frankly I think you deserve to be amongst the scum with disposable income who seemed to contribute to the general overall carefree and disposable atmosphere of Bestival 2012.

Second of all, the line-up to Bestival 2012 was announced after I got the early bird ticket, and it was a mistake I made taking into consideration the fact the line-up wasn't really up my street when it WAS announced. It was 'ok' but it wasn't 2011's line-up; bit cut price, dominated by lots of indie landfill... complained about it all year really. Got there and didn't see half the bands I wanted, really not a fan of overly hot weather so was too knackered and ill from my dust allergy to trapse from one hill to the next and see the bands I did and most of the tents were too packed for me to properly enjoy the music when I got there anyway so I didn't bother. I expect it to be exactly the same in 2013. The weather was an important factor in me not enjoying Bestival this year and in some ways it seemed to bring out the worst in a lot of people, but this obviously isn't the festival's fault. The w*nky line-up, however, was.

Third; the vibe of the festival itself - within the space of one year - has gone downhill remarkably. 2011 was amazing; I absolutely loved it, but only an idiot could bury his head in the sand and not see the overwhelming amount of arseholes Bestival attracted this year. Bestival is not a shite festival by any means; far from it in fact; but it's crowd - with seemingly less variety than last year, more aggression, less consideration, less desire to take care of the site, worse drugs, even worse alcohol, and worsening attitudes... honestly, they can fuck off back to Reading and V. I felt the vibe from 2011 actually in the campsite I stayed in, and it prompted me at one point to say to my missus "fancy staying here for the day?" because going to the arena to listen to a bunch of bands I have no interest in (who NOBODY seemed interested in, to be honest) and be surrounded by w*nkers was far less appealing than sitting in a chair, in the sun, with a cold whiskey and coke, having conversations with people about the music we loved and doing Stephen Hawking impressions.

The only thing that would make me go back to Bestival - as with Reading/Leeds - would be the line-up, because the line-up would reflect on the crowd it attracts. I am not asking for a bunch of bands for chin strokers (like me); more a bunch of bands suited to more mature attitudes. Less indie landfill shite; less Radio 1 shite; less Pitchfork bollocks; more 'older' bands, more psych and noise rock, more House or Rave music, more hip hop, more reggae. Give me 10 or 20 of those and I'll be happy. Anybody under the illusion that Bestival is not all about the music is talking out of their arses; anybody sucked in by the 10 year anniversary marketing tool is a fool; anybody who thinks they're saving anything by buying an early bird is an idiot.

Wait and be patient. It might even be good. I'm not interested in Bestival 2013 yet but I will be keeping a very close eye on it over the course of the next few months.

So people aren't allowed to work hard all year so that they can afford to go to a few festivals over the summer? Go figure. I'd say these people are the people that appreciate festivals the most, the people who work every hour they can and go without the rest of the year because they love being in a field, listening to bands with their friends. But hey, what do I know?

Dear Dave the hedgehog,

I'm so glad we did not meet at Bestival, I dont think you would like me! I happen to be stupidly wealthy, not very well educated and couldnt give a flying fuck what bands are on. I spend a crazy amount of money going to lots of festivals each year, I also spend a lot of money whilst there on drugs and alcohol. That my friend is the way life is!

I have a wonderfull time at all of them because i want nothing more from them other than to have a good time, meet new people, and generally have a party.

If i were more like you, a musical snob with fuck all money, i dare say i might be miserable and not make many new friends.

Now fuck of back to your lair and let the fun people enjoy the party!

Kind regards

Harry The Hedgehog Killer

Dear Dave the hedgehog,

I'm so glad we did not meet at Bestival, I dont think you would like me! I happen to be stupidly wealthy, not very well educated and couldnt give a flying fuck what bands are on. I spend a crazy amount of money going to lots of festivals each year, I also spend a lot of money whilst there on drugs and alcohol. That my friend is the way life is!

I have a wonderfull time at all of them because i want nothing more from them other than to have a good time, meet new people, and generally have a party.

If i were more like you, a musical snob with fuck all money, i dare say i might be miserable and not make many new friends.

Now fuck of back to your lair and let the fun people enjoy the party!

Kind regards

Harry The Hedgehog Killer

Absolutely agree with this, and most comments raised above. The main stage Bestival crowd seemd quite quite at times.But I was really impressed away from the mainstages. There were great crowds, and great music at the Big Top, the Replay and worm stages, albeit the crowds were sometimes quite sparse. I had a great time at death in Vegas, Gary Numan, bellowhead, friendly fires and orbital, and the atmosphere at thos gigs was up there with the most fun gigs I have ever been to. I mentioned to my mate that I couldnt stop smiling throughout the bellowhead gig, cos it was so much fun, everyone seemed to be enjoying it immensely - a lot more than when they played Glasto in 2011. Just wish more people could have experienced it