Word Association Game

WEEK

There are tribute bands and tribute bands.  The Bootleg Beatles are about as good as it gets and their Sgt Pepper tour with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra next year sounds worth catching - and they have a Glastonbury hole in their tour schedule.

CAT (Well you can find them in passages and, as you and I seem to share a taste in Al Stewart Trevethin, have another one).

I first encountered Al Stewart in the late sixties when he was a resident at the Troubadour Folk Club in Clifton, Bristol and have enjoyed his concerts, from small intimate gigs to big band productions at large concert halls, ever since.

I love the arrangements on this, from the tinkling piano intro to the soaring sax solo and it might still be one of my Desert Island Discs.

• Upvote 1

IN

I saw Chris Farlowe a couple of years ago at a gig in Cardiff and he was spot on.  Afterwards he was talking to fans and signing CDs and Mrs GH went up to him and said: "I first saw you at the Colston Hall in Bristol in 1966."  He paused, looked her in the eye and replied: "I thought I recognised the face!"

I also saw three bands in three weeks perform Handbags and Gladrags, Mike D'Abo (who wrote the song) with the Manfreds, The Stereophonics and Chris Farlowe.  And Farlowe's version beat the others by miles.  He's still touring at the age of 76 with the Norman Beaker Band and is well worth catching.

Take your pick from SCOTCH, BOURBON or BEER

I first discovered George Thorogood on the original Live Aid Concert when he was playing part of the American leg.  He's still going strong 40 years on mainly touring resorts in the US. Good boogie blues guitar.

Happy Christmas Trevethin - and all other Word Associators.  I live in a non-smoking house (Mrs GH hates smoke and smoking) so I pop out periodically to my 'posh shed' - my home office in the garden for a fag and usually a quick e-mail read and EFests log in.  So this is my 'fag break' response.  It's got regular and booze in the first verse, so should qualify as a link,

It's also one of my favourite songs.  The link word is PIANO.

Sorry to get a bit heavy but this video was shown at the original Live Aid in 1985 and I saw news footage only yesterday of famine in Africa that shows we've not moved on much 30 years.

The song is DRIVE by The Cars