Word Association Game

RAINBOW

Great bit of raunchy rock trevethin.  

Lots of links to a talent that was, sadly, only truly recognised after her early death from skin cancer at the age of 33. Eva had a great voice and recorded some excellent albums that were largely released posthumously.

Toto - Dorothy's dog in The Wizard of Oz, Rainbows are sort of curved lines and Toto's lead guitarist is wearing rainbow braces.

Edited by grumpyhack

DRAGON

PP&M at their peak.  Sadly Mary is another Grumpy Gonner.

After Mary's death Peter Yarrow followed a solo career for a while recording this song, which is one of the most beautiful and poignant tales of regret I know. - And another Rainbow link.

(Incidentally Oneeye, Shed Seven are managed by Simon Lawlor, who I trained as a journalist and encouraged to get into the music business)

Edited by grumpyhack

RHYMNEY or BELLS

This is based on a poem by former Welsh miner turned poet Idris Davies and published in the USA after his death in a collection of works by Dylan Thomas. It was spotted by Pete Seeger, who put it to music. Since then it's been covered by many including The Byrds, Cher and The Alarm.

Happy daze Trevethin.  Never saw Norman but I've enjoyed Dr and The Medics, who also had a big hit with their cover version, at Wychwood.

Your post also brings back memories of the band Sky, a rock/classical fusion which included John Williams.

So the link is TOCCATA

Takes me back to my first festival Shepton Mallet in 69  All the Hells Angels who were 'doing security' went crazy and were dancing around like little kids when SteppenWOLF did this.

The joys of being an oldie!

I used to love The Goodies carlos, and also enjoy Graeme Garden when he's on I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.  (Still great Radio 4 comedy listening with Jack Dee now in the Humphrey Lyttleton chair).

But, as you don't know the Saw Doctors I'll go back a step as well.  This was the closest thing they had to a mainstream hit.  It's about the N17, which is a motorway in Ireland that links Dublin Airport to Galway, which is where they come from.  So it's a song about going home.

They are one of the great sing-along, wave your arms in the air, festival bands and this tends to be a closer.

I should have been seeing the Saw Doctors on Monday but their UK tour has been postponed as one of the band is still recovering from throat surgery.  He's obviously been seeing a doctor and has been told to stay at home.

So the link word is HOME

Edited by grumpyhack