Word Association Game

Thinking of lies takes me, with no enthusiasm, to the results of the US elections in the wee small hours of tomorrow.

This song, which I've posted before from Devon's finest, was written following the banking crisis but it seems to sum up what that election is all about.

I took my eldest daughter to see SoH in Cardiff and they blew her away.

So take your pick to link from any of the title words Arrogance, Ignorance, Greed.

Eel PIE Island was pretty well the birthplace of British Rhythm and Blues in the early sixties.  Gig list here.

http://www.garagehangover.com/eel-pie-island/

So no shortage of connections.  But rather than one of the sixties British bands here's another Glastonbury PIE moment of nostalgia.

21 hours ago, carlosj said:

@trevethin, how about this t shirt?  I can't post a picture but here's a link - https://www.redmolotov.com/catalogue/tshirts/all/i-may-be-old-best-bands-tshirt.html

Good one. I like the T shirt :)

Other than saying that, I have no contribution to move this thread on right now, I'll let Leonard stay there for a little longer   RIP x

To keep the Cohen connection going a little longer, this is BIRD on the Wire from his 2013 tour, which I saw in Cardiff.

It still has to standout as one of the most memorable concerts I have ever been to - and that's as someone old enough to have seen most of the good bands in their prime.

Cohen was the soundtrack to my youth when he was producing music to commit suicide to in your bedsit and in later years as he explored more joyful periods of love and passion.

The 2012/13 tours were a masterclass in performance with possibly the best backing band, singers and arrangements I've seen.

Edited by grumpyhack

An Albatross is a BIRD.

Snowy White, another fine guitarist.

A few years ago I saw Peter Green when a group of people tried to get him back on the road again with a band called the Splinter Group.  But it was very sad.  He'd lost it and they had to have a backup guitarist on standby to take over his solos.  It was billed as 'rehabilitation' but it just came over as a bunch of people cashing in and using him.

Incidentally Trevethin, although you give your location as Devon, I've taught a few community ed courses in Trevethin near Pontypool in South Wales. Do you have any South Wales connections or is the name just coincidence?

20 hours ago, grumpyhack said:

An Albatross is a BIRD.

Incidentally Trevethin, although you give your location as Devon, I've taught a few community ed courses in Trevethin near Pontypool in South Wales. Do you have any South Wales connections or is the name just coincidence?

@grumpyhackPeople usually guess at Cornwall, but they're wrong - and you are right.  Husband grew up in South Wales, not far from Pontypool :)

Bird takes me to Plane.  What a prophetic song ... He did leave our world on a plane. Albeit not a jet one.

This is fun Trevethin and great memories.  I remember seeing Peter Paul and Mary do Leaving on a Jet Plane in their final tour concert.  Happy days.

A plane is also a woodworking tool - as is a SAW.

The Saw Doctors are still one of the great sing-along festival bands and I'll be seeing them in Cardiff again at the end of the month. They've got a wide repertoire but this is probably their best known song.

If you get time, check out the SAMURAI carpenter here on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/user/6488jesse)

Mr hack, I saw Peter Green on that tour, late 2010? It was sad but he did a good show in Leeds, and yes, it was like some young guitarists were riding on his fame though.

The Samurai Carpenter is fascinating Carlosj, some lovely work.

So I'll go with CARPENTER as the link word.

Two versions of this song, which has been covered by many - Grumpy Gonner Tim Hardin's original and Percy's take on it.

HEAR Me Calling

A Ten Years After original (Sadly Alvin Lee is another Grumpy Gonner) but covered well by Slade who proved they were a pretty solid rock and blues band and not just Glam Rock for Christmas.  I've been lucky enough (or am old enough) to have seen both bands live and

Slade could certainly get a place rocking.

Passing factoid.  The late Chas Chandler, the one-time Animals bass player who championed and managed Jimi Hendrix and brought him to the UK, also managed Slade.

Edited by grumpyhack