Word Association Game

Thanks Carlosj.  If I fail in the resale it will be the first time in 10 or more years that I won't have made it.  So, hopefully, Sam and Dave's prediction will work out and I'll be Coming.

Thank you all for the kind offers of ticket assistance.  I'll be glad of any help. There will be four of us, wanting to caravan and tent in CV East.

Meanwhile ALLENTown, a Billy Joel classic. Still touring and would make a great oldies slot.

10 hours ago, brandycoke said:

Do you have an idiots guide to how the campervan/caravan field thing works gh? :)

The main thing to remember is that the CV fields are outside the festival perimeter fence, so you have to enter and leave the festival site every day. To do that you have to have your Festival Ticket with you every time you enter or leave.

So you arrive, probably on the Tuesday, and you have to show your Festival Ticket and have your CV Field sticker in the windscreen of your car/van.

You get directed to a CV Field.  We always try to blag our way to CV East 23, the closest to the Hill of Death (more on this later) - usually saying we're with friends who are already there.  East 23 is supposed to be a family field so the other line is that the family and kids are following us.

The CV fields are supposed to be 'no glass' in vehicles and, occasionally, vehicles are searched by stewards to check.  We try to be good about the no glass rule so our drinks are in cans, wineboxes or decanted into plastic containers.  All our 'glasses' to drink from are plastic.

But we cheerily say 'no glass' to the stewards on entry and, as we look like old timers who know the ropes, we've never been searched, just waved through.

You can't reserve a spot for mates who might be coming later so, if you want to pitch together, try to ensure that you arrive and enter in convoy.

You have a standard sized plot, which is usually big enough for a car and caravan with awning.  We have always managed to also pitch a small tent alongside the car but it's about being reasonable and sensible.

Set up on the Tuesday.  Spend time levelling your vehicle, get the fridge working (sometimes they won't fire up if the vehicle isn't pretty level) and fill your Aquarolls - there might be a queue - and it might be worth taking some water with you for the start.

No much happens on Tuesday night and there is little food on offer apart from a couple of burger vans at the top of the HoD.  So we always make sure we've all the food and drink we need for a decent meal on Tuesday night.  Loud sound systems are a non-no but a singalong with guitars is fine.

It's the time to put up your flagpoles, make friends with your neighbours and meet up with other friends you know will also be staying in the CV Fields. Also the time to orientate yourself so you know how to find your van in the dark.  Obviously flags don't show up in the dark so we have lights running up our flagpole as a night time location finder.

On Wednesday there's no need to rush.  Everyone who is camping will be trying to get in early to bag a decent spot for their tent.  But you don't have to worry about that.

You go down the HoD to the site with your ticket and join the queues for wristbanding - just the same entry procedure as for anyone else.

The important thing is to keep your ticket somewhere safe.

When it comes to leave the site to return to the CV fields you have to show your ticket and they check your wristband to make sure that it is secure. and you get given a Passout ticket.

The next time you go in you have to show your ticket, have your wristband checked and hand in the Passout ticket.

The procedure is the same every time you enter or leave throughout the festival.  So every time you go in or out you need to have your festival ticket with you.

There are some portaloos at the top of the HoD but they can get a bit mucky.

The much talked about HoD is over-hyped.  Yes it's a hill, about the same as the walk up to the Stone Circle.  But it's a matter of gentle pacing.  The view from the top, overlooking the festival site is breathtaking, and it's worth a stroll to it on Tuesday night just to take in the view.

With a bit of luck in the resales, I'll see you there.

Now thats what i call a proper guide, well done !

Concise and to the point ,this should be a sticky for all new campervan users.

Seems like quite a different experience from camping altogether.

Regarding the whole ticket thing, If you had a festival ticket, would it be easy enough to get a campervan field ticket ?

Forgotten.

I think this is a bootleg track that comes out for concerts. I also realise belatedly the connection between these last 2 singers; Joan has a beautiful voice. Bob's is an acquired taste, eh whisty?

REMEMBER

This has to be one of the silliest, but also fun, performances at Glastonbury.

On the Baez-Dylan relationship, Joan wrote this wonderfully bittersweet song about Dylan and his ghost that haunted her.

Edited by grumpyhack

Thanks Oneeye.  All the help we can get will be appreciated on Resale Day - assuming Pear Cider strikes lucky with the CV ticket this Thursday.

I love the Word Association Game because it can lead me down all sorts of meandering routes.

This is PP Arnold - one of the great voices, both a superb backing singer and performer in her own right and still touring.  A one time Ikette, then work with the Small Faces and Faces and Rod Stewart, The Nice - in fact anything on the Immediate label..

I think she released her recording First Cut is the Deepest just before Cat S, even though he actually wrote the song.

The connection goes Cat>Morning (as in Morning has Broken)>ANGEL of the Morning, another power ballad that was also a hit for Yvonne Ellerman.

Edited by grumpyhack

You have wings on an AIRPLANE

I was lucky enough to see Jefferson Airplane with this original line up at Shepton Mallett in 1970.

Mind you what was Grace Slick on when she wrote this song at the age of 15?

Time, sadly, catches up with us all.  Grace Slick then and now.

Grace Slick in 1969 and Today

The connection with fly comes in at 1'23"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBren6gJVs

And the link word is FLAKE

Ogden's Nut Gone Flake has to be one of the great concept albums of all time.  And with a lovely song to finish.

Edited by grumpyhack

I like my chocolate HOT.  This is the Loving Spoonful, but the film seems like it was shot in Leeds City Centre last week...

@brandycoke, the only thing I'd add to grumpy's info is the tip to stick your CV screen sticker to a plastic sheet (like the paper holders). I do this to save removing it later, or losing it if the windscreen is replaced, and it's a more permanent reminder.

Edited by carlosj

LOVE

TRex, who played at the first Glastonbury.

I always put my CV Field screen sticker onto a piece of clear plastic that I then sellotape to the windscreen.  It's lovely to then be able to keep as a souvenier.

Also when driving home from Glastonbury a sticker in the windscreen strikes me as an invitation to police to stop you for a 'random' drugs check.  So it comes off the moment I leave.

Edited by grumpyhack