WWE

lharris92

1 hour ago, Uncle Liam said:

Jericho would be best so we get him v Owens at Mania. 

Finn won't be ready apparently. 

I don't think that match would be considered big enough to headline, although I guess the rumble winner doesn't need to headline.

I suspect they will take the title off styles and give to taker or Cena, then the other one will win the rumble.

1 hour ago, Uncle Liam said:

We all know deep down we're going to have another failed attempt at getting Roman over in the main event of Mania.

I think it's a pity that an element of the fanbase wants to stop him getting over. In my view it's more down to current crappy crowds being sheep and trying to get themselves over, rather than a lack of talent from reigns.

Let's face it if reigns was exactly the same but had come through ring of honour or Japan, many of those who currently boo would be licking his backside.

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

There's been a lot of online speculation by dirtsheets that Sami Zayn is being lined up, but I can't see that at all. Nor would I want it. 

Quote me if I'm wrong but I would be amazed if Zayn is in a big angle in Mania. I also don't want to see him in a big match, I find him uncharismatic, find his matches generally dull and he looks like a jobber.

32 minutes ago, Uncle Liam said:

Oh come on! He's boring as all hell a lot of the time. To be fair he can hold his own with the likes of AJ, Brock etc. But it's just so mechanical and artificial. 

It's all about opinions, but I would put him in my top 5. I like his look and intensity, I think he has great body language. He is also one of those people who exudes charisma without speaking, in fact he is often better keeping his mouth shut.

I honestly believe the crowd booing is nothing to do with his talent. It's more to do with the current annoying "You deserve this, this is awesome etc" crowd who think they are being cool and religious acting like turning against the chosen one.

Mania matches I think we will get: 

Cena vs. Taker (WWE Title) 

Brock vs. Goldberg 

Charlotte vs. Bayley (RAW Women's Title)

Seth vs. Triple H 

KO vs. Y2J (Universal Title) 

Reigns vs. Strowman (US Title) 

Orton vs. Wyatt 

Not sure where that leaves AJ. I'd also expect one of the tag titles to be defended on the main show and the IC. 

Edited by Andre91

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Hulk Hogan and Connor McGregor being mentioned on that little WWE chat show thing surely means we're seeing both at Mania?

Is Hogan being recognised again by WWE? I havent been watching for a while now. How did they get around the racism thing? or did they just completely ignore it... I assume they have completely ignored it like most things.

Whens the Rumble? will be the first PPV I've seen since September time.

9 hours ago, mjsell said:

Is Hogan being recognised again by WWE? I havent been watching for a while now. How did they get around the racism thing? or did they just completely ignore it... I assume they have completely ignored it like most things.

29th

Yep and Curtis Axel started up the Axelmania stuff again apparently.

18 hours ago, mjsell said:

Same here. I am going to go to the sports bar in Cardiff and watch it live with some mates. Did it for WM and it was awesome.

Are there any surprise returns being thrown about for the Rumble match?

I know not many people here watch New Japan but did anyone watch the Okada vs Kenny Omega match that has been talk of the wrestling world all week? Meltzer gave it 6 stars. I've watched it twice now and I think it's the best match I have ever seen. Wrestle Kingdom was so amazing once again. Three years in a row that they have delivered a 10/10 show.

Edited by When Jokers Attack

8 hours ago, When Jokers Attack said:

I know not many people here watch New Japan but did anyone watch the Okada vs Kenny Omega match that has been talk of the wrestling world all week? Meltzer gave it 6 stars. I've watched it twice now and I think it's the best match I have ever seen. Wrestle Kingdom was so amazing once again. Three years in a row that they have delivered a 10/10 show.

All I'm hearing about. Need to give it a watch.

As someone who had never seen either guy before, I found that pretty enjoyable.There was a lot of action, it was very crisp and the crowd (unlike WWE crowds who often take away) really added to the atmosphere.

It would probably rank as 4* on my scale for a few reasons. I wouldn't give it too marks for a few reasons. Firstly the fact I didn't know either guy meant that I wasn't invested emotionally.

Secondly the commentary was OK, but not amazing.I thought they were talking a bit too much about how great it was, rather than telling the story and let the viewers read between the lines.

Finally I could have done with a touch more selling. The whole thing looked a little too choreographed for me and I never bought into it as a real fight, but maybe that would have been different if I knew the build up.

Finally my favourite match of all time is Austin v Brett at wrestlemania, which I thought was pretty faultless.

Very valid points. I do think if you were more invested in the wrestlers and the story then of course that could factor in loving the match more. The commentary is by ROH commentators Steve Corino (who has now joined NXT as a trainer) and Kevin Kelly. They only commentate on a few major shows a year. On NJPW World you have a choice betweent Japanese commentary or the english feed. I watched with japanese commentary the second time and might have even preferred it. Obviously I don't understand what they are saying but it adds to the emotion of the match. I think overall Corino and Kelly are fantastic, considering they don't commentate all the time for New Japan. 

One of the things I loved most was that Omega actually never actually hit his finisher on Okada. Will play well into the eventual rematch, most likely this Summer.

5 hours ago, When Jokers Attack said:

Very valid points. I do think if you were more invested in the wrestlers and the story then of course that could factor in loving the match more. The commentary is by ROH commentators Steve Corino (who has now joined NXT as a trainer) and Kevin Kelly. They only commentate on a few major shows a year. On NJPW World you have a choice betweent Japanese commentary or the english feed. I watched with japanese commentary the second time and might have even preferred it. Obviously I don't understand what they are saying but it adds to the emotion of the match. I think overall Corino and Kelly are fantastic, considering they don't commentate all the time for New Japan. 

When it comes to commentary I grew up on JR and the king, so it's hard for anyone to compete. I found the new Japan commentary no worse than raw, but not as good as smackdown. There was one line I.found however very cringeworthy when one of the commentators said something along the line of "some people said these two couldn't draw". I just find it weird commentators using that kind of terminology.

Edited by pink_triangle

Regardless, commentary shouldn't factor match quality or rating.  If it did then most matches on RAW would be 1 star.

If you have time and are interested, I recommend checking out the IC title match from the show between Naito and Tanahashi. Naito has taken over Nakamura as the most over guy in the company since changing his gimmick and going heel. He was booked similiar to Roman Reigns before, in the sense they was pushed so much the fans turned on him. He then went away to Mexico for a few months and come back reinvented with a new gimmick and attitude. Tanahashi is the face of the NJPW and is their Cena. AJ Styles said his best match of his career was against him in 2015  and Tananhashi said the same thing.