Films

Rufus Gwertigan

7 hours ago, lharris92 said:

Black Panther thoughts:

Very good film, finding it hard to find a fault but there are probably a few minor ones that I didn't pick up on.

edit: Will be interesting to see on whether there is a sequel planned (depending on Infinity War of course).

It will do; Kevin Feige has alluded to it. Black Panther will be an integral part of the new Avengers line up post Infinity War. 

3 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

It will do; Kevin Feige has alluded to it. Black Panther will be an integral part of the new Avengers line up post Infinity War. 

It does make sense. In the post credit scene it opens up the possibility for multiple directions to be taken.

There are two scenes... the other looks at Infinity war (but gives nothing away).

Is Black Panther any good? I remember going to see Blade when it came out whilst I was a teenager. Wesley Snipes made a great super hero, he happened to be black and I can't remember it being mentioned once in the run up.

With all this culture war bullshit these days I'm more inclined just to ignore the film. When you can't rely on reviewers for fear of being labelled racist as they were labelled misogynists for hating the ghost busters remake, I'm not sure how you are supposed to work out if its a waste of money or not.

Just now, lost said:

Is Black Panther any good? I remember going to see Blade when it came out whilst I was a teenager. Wesley Snipes made a great super hero, he happened to be black and I can't remember it being mentioned once in the run up.

With all this culture war bullshit these days I'm more inclined just to ignore the film. When you can't rely on reviewers for fear of being labelled racist as they were labelled misogynists for hating the ghost busters remake, I'm not sure how you are supposed to work out if its a waste of money or not.

I've just responded to a Facebook status about this topic. I went and saw an awesome superhero movie, don't really understand what everyone else is going on about.

It does touch on some issues regarding race but it isn't slapping you in the face with it throughout the film.

10 minutes ago, jump said:

Watching Black Panther I just wanted to Michael B Jordan to take over as he was so much better than Boseman. The whole cast is fantastic but I struggled with Boeman who seemed so flat throughout the film.

see this said a few times.

I think he shouldn't have died and been similar to Loki in future films.

Edited by WS_Jack_III

6 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Hide contents

I think he shouldn't have died and been similar to Loki in future films.

Reveal hidden contents

I thought it was gonna go that way tbh and was pretty disappointed that he became another Marvel villain to be underused.

Think the film has been pretty overhyped and it is largely just another cookie cutter Marvel film, but it had enough standout moments to be enjoyable. Bring on Infinity War.

12 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Speaking of the MCU.

Is it the best critically received franchise ever? 

It has to be, 18 films and not one is below 60% on the film aggregators.

Only thing I can think that could rival it would be the James Bond franchise but they had some stinkers over the years.

Also look at the pace of them, Bond has around 25+ films over 50 years, Marvel has been around for less than 10 years and are on 18 films.

57 minutes ago, chemica said:

Is there not a danger of over saturation? Too much of the same thing. Or is it a matter of striking whilst the iron is hot?

Yes, no, maybe. 10 years ago when the comic movies were of the ilk of Fantastic Four, Daredevil etc people were saying it's a fad and then Dark Knight and Iron Man hit which took it to a new level. 

The danger isn't so much oversaturation as the Marvel movies shows people are happy to go see him, the problem will be with cruddy superhero films sour people's taste like Batman vs Superman. Tbh action blockbusters have been massive for decades and they aren't going away and that's what the Marvel films are. 

• Upvote 1

Trends are showing that more and more people are choosing to go for stuff they know; adaptations, sequels, etc. So Marvel being a trusted brand delivering loads of interweaving films gets bums on seats for the time being. Trends change and nothing lasts forever, but there's nothing to say it's slowing down.

If I was to bet where films will go across the next decade I'd say that massive franchises will take over cinemas, small films with niche audiences will remain, but the more mid-level stuff will start to go straight to streaming services rather than cinemas. More money and quality will move into TV as well, again serving as a replacement for the mid level.

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

the more mid-level stuff will start to go straight to streaming services rather than cinemas. 

I was shocked Annihilation isn't getting a cinema release in the UK and is going straight to Netflix. Although apparently so was the director!

Edited by vintagelaureate

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 8:21 PM, WS_Jack_III said:

Speaking of the MCU.

Is it the best critically received franchise ever? 

It has to be, 18 films and not one is below 60% on the film aggregators.

Only thing I can think that could rival it would be the James Bond franchise but they had some stinkers over the years.

If they go down the route of Thor Ragnarok and Black Panther then I can see them only getting better. I'ma big Marvel and MCU fan so can possibly be a bit biased, but even I was getting a bit bored. The likes of Doctor Strange I found a bit of a struggle and I was disappointed by Guardians 2 as it just seemed a complete retread of the first film.