Films

Rufus Gwertigan

• 2 weeks later...

Dunkirk is getting 5 stars almost across the board from critics.

As a subject matter I am hugely sceptical of enjoying it, as I despise patriotical nostalgia and the events of Dunkirk is the British pinnacle of a distorted war memory. But then hopefully its bleakness and cinematography begins to change the perception of what happened there, away from Britains defining moment.

Edited by mjsell

On 23/07/2017 at 10:36 AM, philipsteak said:

I'm definitely a Nolan sceptic. But each time I think, well it looks amazing in the trailers, and everyone else seems to like it so hopefully this time...

On that note, hopefully this time... 

Prepare yourself for long shots of Branagh staring into the distance, and endless musical builds, mostly leading to fairly flat showpieces

I really did have trouble with it. 

Edited by mjsell

4 hours ago, mjsell said:

Prepare yourself for long shots of Branagh staring into the distance, and endless musical builds, mostly leading to fairly flat showpieces

I really did have trouble with it. 

It was in anticipation of exactly this sort of bollocks that led me to decide not to watch it; but all that has changed since I learned Harry Styles is making his big screen debut in it.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN
accidentally spelled the big man's name wrong like a dickhead

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/28/2017 at 11:56 AM, Hugh Jass said:

Watched Thor Ragnarock last night, it’s pretty good and actually very funny (you can see Taiki’s Flight of the Conchords connections throughout it).

It will be a great film to get very, very stoned to.

Did just this. You were not wrong. Loved all of the shared cast and nods to Taiki's previous work and thought the whole thing was very enjoyable. The general plot/structure barely deviates from what Marvel have been doing for a decade now but Taiki's take on it brought this up a fair few notches from a lot of the previous films, especially the dull as dishwater two Thor films.

I really liked it. Not only was it funny, but I thought the character arcs worked really well. Nothing revolutionary but they juggled several characters undergoing the hero's journey trope in different ways effectively.

Now to slink back out of this thread until I next go to the cinema in another two years.

• 2 weeks later...

Once I'm sold on the fact that I'll watch a film, I largely ignore press for it from that point onwards until I've actually seen it. Thor: Ragnarok was announced and I was sold anyway because Thor is one of Marvel's best properties comics-wise, and Chris Hemsworth <3 <3 <3, and then I learned we were getting Cate Blanchette as Hela in a massive headdress and Tessa Thompson of Dear White People fame (loved that film) as Valkyrie. So I was like "fuck yes, it's on like Donkey Kong" and zoned out of all press. I did see the trailer when I was at the pictures for another film, and I saw it was so fucking colourful like the best days of Walt Simonson and Jack Kirby drawing the comics, and there was Skurge firing his two guns like he was a Simonson panel come to life, and there was Hulk doing Planet Hulk, and there was Jeff sodding Goldblum and I got the sense this was going to be pretty mental. Went to see it the other day, and up until it started I was completely oblivious to it being directed by mofo Taika Waititi, who's a goddamn genius. Had a bloody great time watching it. This is simultaneously the most original deviation from the source material Marvel have done so far, AND has the most nods to the comics stuffed in it. The fan service all works because none of it is just thrown in for the benefit of nerds like these sorts of films used to be full of, it's all used in a way which serves the film whether you know the comics or not. The Kirby af designs used on Sakaar are the sort of thing that just looks like gorgeous and original alien planet design, makes this film really stand apart visually from Guardians or Star Wars or something; but then if you know where it came from there's an additional level of satisfaction that finally one of these films has gone fully balls-out homage to The King and why the fuck has nobody done this before? There is something of a downside there in that Asgard looks really fucking boring in comparison to Sakaar, but that's a problem this film has solved for the sequel. It's one of the funniest and most charming Marvel movies to date, which helps it to be a real easy watch. Taika Waititi is obviously an amazingly accomplished comedy director for small budget indie films, but he's made the leap to massive budget blockbuster incredibly well; he juggles his weird offbeat comedy, and his warm and fuzzy character work, and adds in CGI spectacle and massive set pieces and high energy fight scenes, and they all sit together really well, even enhancing each other. The core story of the film is the classic Thor premise which the other two films (and Avengers, sort of) have aimed for and achieved competently while leaving a lot of room for improvement. Thor is brash and well-intentioned but arrogant and needs to grow up to become worthy of godhood, Loki is his troubled black sheep half-brother who is both best friend and antagonist. Ragnarok nails that dynamic so well that it makes you wonder where they can possibly go for the sequel.

Marvel have surprisingly outdone themselves this year with this and Spider-Man, both probably the best films they've made. For me that seems to be through letting a director tell their own distinct story with the character and letting the film have its own identity. Up until recently most of the Marvel films all just played out like Iron Man, were bogged down by obviously shoehorned connections to the rest of the universe, and had this very dull directorial style with a flat colour palette and ugly "realistic" adaptations of visuals from the comics. James Gunn's Guardians Of The Galaxy seemed to be the turning point, and it looks like Marvel really learned the right lessons from it. If they keep making ballsy decisions like interesting directors like James Gunn and Taika Waititi then the superhero fad could have even impossibly longer lease on life than it already does.

On 11/17/2017 at 2:25 PM, edwardjc14 said:

Also saw Thor Ragnarok and thought it was great, funny and good characters as others have said, I'm surprised by the lack of Blade Runner 2049 talk, incredible film!, been a wonderful year for cinema 

Skipped on Blade Runner 2049 when all my friends went to see it, because I'm not really a fan of the first. Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep is one of my all-time favourite books, I pretty much read nothing but PKD and Terry Prachett when I was a teenager (and now I have no time to read books ever), so I got real mad love for it. Saw the film a couple of times and thought it was very technically impressive and atmospheric, but it just didn't engage me beyond that, I think I re-watched it once and it was painfully boring. I had no desire to see a 2 hour + repeat of that so I swerved 2049. Only recently found out that it was directed by Denis Vilenueve and did a complete u-turn, that man can have 2 hours + of my time and day of the week. Releases are coming thick and fast now though so I can't fit it in. I still need to watch Death Of Stalin (might go tomorrow morning actually) and now Paddington 2 is out as well. Has actually been a brilliant year for films.