Films

Rufus Gwertigan

I watched La La Land last night and could hardly have enjoyed it more. Obviously we know they both have a great on-screen chemistry (Crazy, Stupid, Love), but the musical numbers were also very good. The first one with the main characters in particular is very, very impressive in it's execution.

I've also got Arrival to watch at some point this week.

So with just a week until the Academy Award nominations are released, any thoughts on Best Picture nominations? I'm going for something like:

Certs: Arrival, La La Land, Manchester By The Sea, Moonlight, Silence
Possible: Fences, I, Daniel Blake, Jackie, Nocturnal Animals, Sully
Should be nominated, but won't: Hell or High Water, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Love and Friendship, Sing Street, Under The Shadow, The Witch

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

So with just a week until the Academy Award nominations are released, any thoughts on Best Picture nominations? I'm going for something like:

Certs: Arrival, La La Land, Manchester By The Sea, Moonlight, Silence
Possible: Fences, I, Daniel Blake, Jackie, Nocturnal Animals, Sully
Should be nominated, but won't: Hell or High Water, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, Love and Friendship, Sing Street, Under The Shadow, The Witch

Sully won't be. It wasn't that good, very watchable but not Award worthy.

Similar for Hell of High Water for me. Was a good watch but not quite a great.

Barely seen any of the others - got a lot of catching up to do.

4 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Sully won't be. It wasn't that good, very watchable but not Award worthy.

Similar for Hell of High Water for me. Was a good watch but not quite a great.

Barely seen any of the others - got a lot of catching up to do.

I agree with you on Sully, I thought it was fine. Nothing special, but the combination of Eastwood & Hanks could easily be enough to convince the Academy to give it a nomination.

I'd definitely recommend The Witch from those I think won't get the nod. Its release in February of 2016 has meant that it has dropped off the radar during awards discussion, but it certainly deserves some attention. It has a wonderfully realised aesthetic which feels organic, and perfectly situates you in its time period. For anyone looking for a contemporary horror film which doesn't descend into cliché jump scares and predictable writing, but rather relies on an unnerving atmosphere, unabashed engagements with theology and a stellar array of performances, look no further. 

13 hours ago, The Nal said:

Agree but its only 45 mins at the missus had it on. I just find the idea of breaking into song ridiculous.

He says on a pop music festivals forum.

It's no more ridiculous than any other narrative device that requires any suspension of disbelief, is it? All scripted dialogue is stylised and pretty much none of it resembles actual human speech, you're just biased against the funnest one. I know you don't hate The Wizard Of Oz, nobody does. Admit musicals are great so that we may all move on from this farce.

Arrival delivered all I had hoped for and more.  I enjoy a serious sci fi movie and this is instantly up there with the greats for me, unflinchingly hard sci fi that really explores what it is to be alien.  Definitely one of those films I'll return to in the future.  

The characters outside of the lead are all pretty 2 dimensional, but she shines so bright and the focus is so starkly upon her that it doesn't detract at all, I think.

10 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

He says on a pop music festivals forum.

It's no more ridiculous than any other narrative device that requires any suspension of disbelief, is it? All scripted dialogue is stylised and pretty much none of it resembles actual human speech, you're just biased against the funnest one. I know you don't hate The Wizard Of Oz, nobody does. Admit musicals are great so that we may all move on from this farce.

Never. They're the definition of nonsense. 

30 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Never. They're the definition of nonsense. 

Exactly, now you're getting it. Nonsense, big, fun nonsense.Just like zombies and superheroes and dragons and galaxies a long time ago and far far away

OK, so people don't just burst in to song at the drop of a hat in real life (actually, a couple of my mates do, but 100 other people don't tend to join in in a perfectly choreographed dance routine with them. Not yet anyway. I'm still hopeful) but equally, when two people are talking they tend to face each other rather than one stand just behind and to the side while both facing the same direction. And they tend to say goodbye when the hang up the phone

17 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I like the umbrella dancing bit in Singin' in the Rain. 

Thats about it. 

I'm not saying you'll like the whole thing, but if you did see it the number at the top of the hill is fantastic, and not just on a musical level. I don't want to spoil it (obvs), but it's quite the technical achievement from those both in front and behind the camera. You don't need to love musicals to enjoy that.

Edited by big__phil

2 hours ago, The Nal said:

I like the umbrella dancing bit in Singin' in the Rain. 

Thats about it. 

It's a slippery slope Nal. First its umbrella's in rain, next its the enitre works of Vincente Minnelli and Stanley Donen...

You may as well give in now.

Nal is in an untenable position here; one without Porgy & Bess, Rock Horror, The Jungle Book, Hamilton, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Cabaret, My Fair Lady, Mama Mia, The Blues Brothers, Dr Horrible's Singalong Blog, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Sweeney Todd, Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory, and ALL OF THE MUTHAFUCKIN MUPPETS FILMS!

13 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Nal is in an untenable position here; one without Porgy & Bess, Rock Horror, The Jungle Book, Hamilton, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Cabaret, My Fair Lady, Mama Mia, The Blues Brothers, Dr Horrible's Singalong Blog, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Sweeney Todd, Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory, and ALL OF THE MUTHAFUCKIN MUPPETS FILMS!

Yeah they're all awful. Fucking hated the Jungle Book as a kid. Never liked the muppets. 

The musical numbers in Willy Wonka were the bits I fast forwarded through.

My Fair Lady? Mama Mia. :lol: WTF?! .