Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Watched rogue one today, after a slow start I really enjoyed it, much better than TFA and I enjoyed that as well.

couple of points I didn't like was the lack of Star Wars music, it was a bit like they couldn't afford the rights to the proper stuff and just made up their 'sort of' Star Wars music.

and that CGI of you know who was awful, the other CGI character at the end was a bit better.

other than that really good film.

8 hours ago, Smeble said:

and that CGI of you know who was awful, the other CGI character at the end was a bit better.

see i thought the CGI was amazing. hands down some of the best i've ever seen, and for a brief second you could've convinced me that was actually him. but then he was on screen for longer than a second, and started to talk, and move, and continue to appear throughout the film and it looked worse and worse every time he did. big mistake putting some much focus on him/making him have so much screen time

I think having him face on, central to the shot and mostly stood still was a mistake.  When they digitally recreated a younger  Anthony Hopkins in Westworld they did so convincingly by only showing brief shots in motion and it worked extremely well.  The initial shot in Rogue One impressed, but as said above, the more they showed the more it was like you were watching a video game cutscene.

4 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

see i thought the CGI was amazing. hands down some of the best i've ever seen, and for a brief second you could've convinced me that was actually him. but then he was on screen for longer than a second, and started to talk, and move, and continue to appear throughout the film and it looked worse and worse every time he did. big mistake putting some much focus on him/making him have so much screen time

I think the second one worked better because it was so brief, I think the skin tones were wrong with the first one

15 hours ago, rhg_99 said:

anyone seen Silence yet? Went to see it last night and thought it was excellent. Definitely not for everyone as it was very long and not the easiest viewing but it really struck a chord with me. One of the best films I've seen in a while.

A little too long and a little too boring in parts for me. It's an exquisitely made film. It looks fantastic and it's really well put together (apart from the shaky Portuguese accents). I felt unengaged too often, but left oddly satisfied too. Basically, I wont be rushing back to watch it, but it certainly left me thinking more than The Wolf of Wall Street did...

8 hours ago, CHRLY said:

A little too long and a little too boring in parts for me. It's an exquisitely made film. It looks fantastic and it's really well put together (apart from the shaky Portuguese accents). I felt unengaged too often, but left oddly satisfied too. Basically, I wont be rushing back to watch it, but it certainly left me thinking more than The Wolf of Wall Street did...

Interesting opinion, thanks! This is basically what my dad and brother thought. I'm definitely glad it wasn't any longer but I felt like the epic nature of the story and events meant that it needed a longer run time than most.  I imagine I would have felt slightly short-changed had it been let's say two hours or less. I'm glad that each section of the films was given proper attention.

Being on the cutting edge of new releases, I watched a couple of 2016 films last night. Our Brand Is Crisis (bang average) and Anomolisa. Anybody seen Anomolisa? I initially thought upon finishing it that I wasn't that impressed, but my mind keeps going back to it. A really interesting watch, although probably not for everyone.

13 minutes ago, trevethin said:

Watched Gravity last night. Reassured daughter that George Clooney character would be just fine as it was an American film so it would have a happy ending.  & then he floated off and died :blink:

#spoileralert

Great watch though. That opening shot is incredible.

For some reason people really slagged Gravity off but I found it to be a visual treat, both for the effects and for Sandra Bullock's amazing thighs.  It is a film I've returned to several times and, having been reminded of it today I'm going to track down a 4k version for the next time I drop Dr Hoffmann's magic juice.

15 hours ago, Spindles said:

For some reason people really slagged Gravity off but I found it to be a visual treat, both for the effects and for Sandra Bullock's amazing thighs.  It is a film I've returned to several times and, having been reminded of it today I'm going to track down a 4k version for the next time I drop Dr Hoffmann's magic juice.

Not me, I loved it! 9/10. Technically you wonder how they did some of those shots. Nice running time as well if I remember, which I think helped with pacing of the drama.

19 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Neighbours went to see La La Land over the weekend and they could not have been more disappointed in it. I was very surprised considering all the chat about it and the awards but they really did not like it at all.............

Musicals can do that though. Some people absolutely hate them - so even a good one can be a disappointment for them. I can't comment on this one though until I've seen it. But yeah I've heard mixed responses towards it.

I want to see Hacksaw Ridge - anyone know if thats available? I thinks its been out for a while elsewhere

Edited by mjsell

7 hours ago, The Nal said:

I fucking hate musicals. All of them. 

Just had this conversation with my son, who watched La La land tonight.  The closest thing to a musical I've watched and almost enjoyed was Moulin Rouge I think and even then....well, I'm still not sure what I think about that film.

I'm going to watch Arrival tonight, probably the film I've been most looking forward to of the current awards season crop (damn they are late with those leaks this year, come on...).  I'm hoping for something cerebral and proper hard sci fi, which seems to be the suggestion of what little I've read about the film.