Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Rogue One was a good movie, even with knowing a slight minor plot detail from the Star Wars Celebration earlier this year... (one of the actors accidentally revealed a slight bit too much information when being talked to - but really it didn't affect the movie anyway). Seeing it again just after Christmas. 

11 hours ago, lharris92 said:

Rogue One was a good movie, even with knowing a slight minor plot detail from the Star Wars Celebration earlier this year... (one of the actors accidentally revealed a slight bit too much information when being talked to - but really it didn't affect the movie anyway). Seeing it again just after Christmas. 

Can you figure out the spoiler tags to say what the plot detail spoiled was?

I was so pissed off that Celebration was the same weekend as Latitude, I would loved to have gone. I found Keiron Gillen (writer of the Darth Vader comic) wandering around after his talk in the Literary tent on the Friday, amongst other things I asked him if he had any plans to bring back Vader's castle from the EU, he kind of glossed over it and started talking about how he was off to Celebration after he'd watched Grimes. I'm now wondering if he knew at that point that Vader was getting a new castle in Rogue One.

Went to see Rogue one with my son.  Thoroughly enjoyable both as a piece of the story and as a standalone film that would work just fine without any knowledge of the series, I think.  I liked the grim view of life under the empire, the revisiting of classic designs and the closing scene on the beach in particular.  The capability now to recreate actors from decades past was shown well recently in Westworld and it was very pleasing to see at least one familiarly youthful face albeit briefly.

On 17/12/2016 at 1:50 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Can you figure out the spoiler tags to say what the plot detail spoiled was?

I was so pissed off that Celebration was the same weekend as Latitude, I would loved to have gone. I found Keiron Gillen (writer of the Darth Vader comic) wandering around after his talk in the Literary tent on the Friday, amongst other things I asked him if he had any plans to bring back Vader's castle from the EU, he kind of glossed over it and started talking about how he was off to Celebration after he'd watched Grimes. I'm now wondering if he knew at that point that Vader was getting a new castle in Rogue One.

Should be able to: don't read this Spoiler if you haven't seen Rogue One/don't want to know either way!

on the Friday of CE there was a Rogue One panel, and basically Wen Jiang (Baze Malbus in the movie) was talking about something and said "When his character dies, mine starts to believe in the Force" - referring to Donnie Yen's character Chirrut (blind guy). You could tell he'd said too much as they then did a wide shot of those there and they all looked really awkward. Considering it is his second language, was probably easy to say a bit much and not realise it.

I think what was cool though was that pretty much anyone who heard and realised what they had said didn't plaster it over the internet - or if they did it wasn't widespread, as last year a major spoiler surfaced just after the premier and ruined part of TFA for a fair few people. As on a different forum i frequent (a lot more often than here nowadays) someone else had been there as well and picked up on it, but not mentioned it either. edit: considering it was a around 5 months to not say anything as well, damn impressive.

On 17/12/2016 at 4:19 PM, Spindles said:

The capability now to recreate actors from decades past was shown well recently in Westworld and it was very pleasing to see at least one familiarly youthful face albeit briefly.

I think it was good they were only shown briefly, as they could have gone too far and made half the movie based around said character.

Edited by lharris92

20 hours ago, lharris92 said:

I think what was cool though was that pretty much anyone who heard and realised what they had said didn't plaster it over the internet - or if they did it wasn't widespread, as last year a major spoiler surfaced just after the premier and ruined part of TFA for a fair few people. As on a different forum i frequent (a lot more often than here nowadays) someone else had been there as well and picked up on it, but not mentioned it either. edit: considering it was a around 5 months to not say anything as well, damn impressive.

Some things can fly completely under the radar. There was a full, very detailed synopsis of the entire plot of TFA on JediCouncil.net forums about two months before it even came out.

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Some things can fly completely under the radar. There was a full, very detailed synopsis of the entire plot of TFA on JediCouncil.net forums about two months before it even came out.

Same thing exists for Episode 8 as well, can be found on Reddit if you really want to spoil things for yourself. 

Personally I avoid even watching trailers for most things these days, simply because I want to go into every movie blind to experience it to the fullest, even avoiding reviews until after I've watched a film.  I couldn't resist the Rogue one trailers though and today's Blade Runner 2049 trailer showed little enough to give me hope without revealing basically anything beyond the look and feel.

18 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

fair enough, must've done well for it to only be spoiled for me after the premiere then :lol:

Edited by lharris92

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Thought Rogue One was okay but pretty disappointing overall - thought TFA was the far superior film even with its flaws of essentially being a remade New Hope. This one was missing a certain feeling of whimsy and was all a bit stone faced

The ultimate test is "would you watch it if it wasn't a Star Wars film?" the answer in this case is sadly no. However it's not a bad film without the Star Wars, it's just choppy, the Star Wars elevates it to an enjoyable level. TFA was much better, the main difference being how brilliant the characters there were; comparing the TFA characters to Rogue One's is where Rogue One really gets shown up. Some more work on Gin and Casper to flesh out their backstories, make them more likeable and put some groundwork into their relationship before the final scenes, as well as knowing what to do with Forrest Whittaker and more character time for Capey McCape (more/extended Coruscant flashback would've greatly benefited him, Djinn and our investment in the plot as a whole), would have made for a ridiculously improved film. A bit frustrating seeing how good it could have been, but I like it for what it is. I also like the fan service but I can't stress enough that fan service has no legs; more than happy for them to binge on it in sequel #1 and anthology #1 as a sort of welcome home for the franchise, but they need to move on from it for the next films or the franchise dies.

2 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

The ultimate test is "would you watch it if it wasn't a Star Wars film?" the answer in this case is sadly no. However it's not a bad film without the Star Wars, it's just choppy, the Star Wars elevates it to an enjoyable level. TFA was much better, the main difference being how brilliant the characters there were; comparing the TFA characters to Rogue One's is where Rogue One really gets shown up. Some more work on Gin and Casper to flesh out their backstories, make them more likeable and put some groundwork into their relationship before the final scenes, as well as knowing what to do with Forrest Whittaker and more character time for Capey McCape (more/extended Coruscant flashback would've greatly benefited him, Djinn and our investment in the plot as a whole), would have made for a ridiculously improved film. A bit frustrating seeing how good it could have been, but I like it for what it is. I also like the fan service but I can't stress enough that fan service has no legs; more than happy for them to binge on it in sequel #1 and anthology #1 as a sort of welcome home for the franchise, but they need to move on from it for the next films or the franchise dies.

aye a big part of my disappointment was just how little i cared about the characters, and despite the couple of cameos throughout it just didn't have that feeling of panic and the character deaths had little impact on me. couple of characters that they attempted to give overly emotional deaths that just weren't earned

also, that CGI was incredibly impressive but i could not once get over the fact that it was very definitely CGI. used sparingly (like it was at the very end) and it did a great job, but i felt it was used far too much and there was far too much focus put on it

it was an okay film, but already i'm getting the feeling that they could be diluting the series too much with these anthology films in between the main ones. i really hope the rest of the main series is incredible as anything less won't be good enough

11 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

aye a big part of my disappointment was just how little i cared about the characters, and despite the couple of cameos throughout it just didn't have that feeling of panic and the character deaths had little impact on me.

It's a Disney movie - they have to tread carefully on the amount of emotional investment in the characters - considering their outcome I'm amazed the cinema wasn't5 flooded when we went.

On 08/12/2016 at 9:42 AM, big__phil said:

Watched Kubo and the Two Strings last night, and couldn't have enjoyed it more. Great stuff.

Before that I watched Diary Of A Teenage Girl. Not easy to enjoy a film when none of the characters are very likable, but it did have one or two moments going for it.

Kubo is the one though, best film I've seen in yonks.

my film of the year

9 hours ago, 5co77ie said:

apart from spawn a whole ruddy game about him you mean?

Is there a game? As far as I'm aware there's only been Battlefront so far. The axing of Lucasarts is the one big travesty that came from the Disney buyout, Star Wars games used to be amazing. You just made a Han Solo at Stars End reference there, I'm hoping you're not going to let me down and agree that the Dark Forces games were incredible.

13 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Is there a game? As far as I'm aware there's only been Battlefront so far. The axing of Lucasarts is the one big travesty that came from the Disney buyout, Star Wars games used to be amazing. You just made a Han Solo at Stars End reference there, I'm hoping you're not going to let me down and agree that the Dark Forces games were incredible.

Star Wars Rebels is the game around Whittaker's character:

http://tvline.com/2016/12/20/rogue-one-forest-whitaker-star-wars-rebels-saw-gerrera/

The Han Solo reference was because that's the next spin off movie - starring Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, which I presume is the film of the book 'Stars End'

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3778644/

MV5BMTkyMDE1MTM1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTk1

Edited by 5co77ie

Rebels is a TV show Scottie! The character was originally created by George Lucas for another TV show and was eventually brought back for Rebels and Rogue One, where he served not a lot of purpose.

... It's not actually going to be Han Solo at Star's End, not least because I can't imagine Disney pulling Bollox on screen.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

15 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Rebels is a TV show Scottie! The character was originally created by George Lucas for another TV show and was eventually brought back for Rebels and Rogue One, where he served not a lot of purpose.

ah thanks for explaining that, I've now got to tell all the people i thought it was a game that I got the wrong end of the lightsabre