Films

Rufus Gwertigan

24 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Probably in a minority of one but I thought the original matrix was dreadful - hate to think how bad that makes the sequel. 

Aside from the highway scene in the 2nd which is good, the sequels are a waste of time and money. The 3rd movie in particular is an unwatchable mess. Much like the Batman sequels. I watched an hour of the third one recently before having to turn it off. 

Good Wachowskis:
The Matrix
Bound
Cloud Atlas
Speed Racer

Bad Wachowskis:
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions

Jury's still out on whether it's so bad it's good or just bad Wachowskis:
Jupiter Ascending

I seriously love them though, when they're on form there are few mainstream directors willing to climb quite so far out on a limb. 

1 hour ago, Winslow Leach said:

They didn't direct V for Vendetta (and it's not very good) but they're far from one hit wonders. Bound is good and I'll defend Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas against all comers don't @ me 

They didn't get credit for directing it but they did "2nd unit directing" as well as writing, producing, editing it.

1 hour ago, Winslow Leach said:

They didn't direct V for Vendetta (and it's not very good) but they're far from one hit wonders. Bound is good and I'll defend Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas against all comers don't @ me 

I can't talk about Speed Racer, but I thought Cloud Atlas was almost very good. A really good concept, and I'm sure it is a great book, but for me it wasn't quite as epic as it thought it was. I think I liked it more than the critics did, and it's certainly worth a watch for those who haven't already seen it.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Kubo and the Two Strings last night, and couldn't have enjoyed it more. Great stuff.

Before that I watched Diary Of A Teenage Girl. Not easy to enjoy a film when none of the characters are very likable, but it did have one or two moments going for it.

Kubo is the one though, best film I've seen in yonks.

10 hours ago, big__phil said:

Watched Kubo and the Two Strings last night, and couldn't have enjoyed it more. Great stuff.

Before that I watched Diary Of A Teenage Girl. Not easy to enjoy a film when none of the characters are very likable, but it did have one or two moments going for it.

Kubo is the one though, best film I've seen in yonks.

Kubo is boss ass, one of my favourites of the year. Did you go to the pictures to see it?

Next week... MOANA AND STAR WARS!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :D

On 12/8/2016 at 8:19 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Kubo is boss ass, one of my favourites of the year. Did you go to the pictures to see it?

Next week... MOANA AND STAR WARS!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! :D

I didn't, but really wish I did. Reading about how some of it was shot (and seeing bits in the credits) just blew me away further. A really fine piece of work.

In other animated news, Princess Mononoke is getting a brief re-release in US cinemas, but I can't find anything about the UK. Hopefully this changes.

9 hours ago, big__phil said:

In other animated news, Princess Mononoke is getting a brief re-release in US cinemas, but I can't find anything about the UK. Hopefully this changes.

That'd be really nice, but even if not, keep an eye out for one-off screenings. I've seen it in cinemas twice in the past two years, both in independents. Also saw Spirited Away in Manchester Odeon of all places a few weeks back, Ghibli is always a banker for weebs coming out in force and mopping up all the tickets. Would really love to see Nausicaa Of The Valley of the wind, but it wasn't on at either of the Ghibli seasons that screened Princess Mononoke (Manchester Cornerhouse - now "Home" and Bradford Media Museum). They did screen it at The Lakes International Of Comic Art in Kendal about two years ago; would've fucking loved to go to that, I think it was Darwyn Cooke's last UK trips before his untimely passing, I wish I'd got to shake the man's hand look him in the eye and tell him he was the fucking best in the business :(

Not sure what to think about Harry Styles in the Dunkirk film., seems a bit of a weird choice. I guess one positive is people who might not know will learn about it, not that I'm particularity patriotic about those sorts of things.

My granddad was there, he woke up alone in an ambulance on the day of evacuation and had to make his own way to the port, he had to flag down a lorry not knowing whether it was friendly or what, it turned out to be a French guy who drove him some of the way though, and he managed to get on one of the boats.

Edited by Chawk

17 hours ago, Chawk said:

My granddad was there, he woke up alone in an ambulance on the day of evacuation and had to make his own way to the port, he had to flag down a lorry not knowing whether it was friendly or what, it turned out to be a French guy who drove him some of the way though, and he managed to get on one of the boats.

Wow, great story. They should make that film!

Seriously though, your granddad is a hero.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Few beers on board for that post?! :D

A few... Cold light of morning I still think it was really good, but not without its issues, biggest one being it wasn't focused on one villian, too choppy, and didn't know when not to throw the fan service in. But I enjoy it a lot, excited to see it again tonight. It's a really good way to kick off the anthology films, but I'm hoping future ones wont need to tie so closely to the main saga and the fan service will be taken down a notch because the novelty will wear off. The Marvel films learned after the early days that going "LOOK, STUFF FROM THE COMICS!" would stop being fun after a while, so they got smarter about it, hopefully Star Wars makes that swerve as well, and doesn't end up as formulaic as Marvel. For me I'd say I preferred The Force Awakens, but it's a close call. For all its fault, the cinematography of TFA was pretty flawless for a blockbuster and it's got loads of energy and purpose so it's a very watchable film.