Films

Rufus Gwertigan

50 minutes ago, jump said:

I've just watched Under The Skin, not bad but it seems like a very typical student/art film trying to be weird for the sake of it, take away ScarJo's name no one would have given a fuck about it.

She wasn't even the original name attached to it, Gemma Arterton was. Loved it personally, although I think the final act isn't quite as confident as the rest, but it's still a pretty bold and ambitious film.

16 hours ago, jump said:

I've just watched Under The Skin, not bad but it seems like a very typical student/art film trying to be weird for the sake of it, take away ScarJo's name no one would have given a fuck about it.

Haven't seen the film but the book it's based on is brilliant.

14 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Watched Angry Birds with the kids at the weekend....  Its isn't very good.  Some genuinley funny moments but mostly rubbish.  Kids enjoyed it though.

It's a shame that a lot of kids' films are pretty crap - there's some gems out there (Toy Story, Penguins, Inside Out, Despicable Me, ....)  but a lot of dross.  Saw Hotel Transylvania 2 a few months back and was terrible.  Not a Frozen fan either, though the songs are catchy.

14 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

It's a shame that a lot of kids' films are pretty crap - there's some gems out there (Toy Story, Penguins, Inside Out, Despicable Me, ....)  but a lot of dross.  Saw Hotel Transylvania 2 a few months back and was terrible.  Not a Frozen fan either, though the songs are catchy.

Zootropolis is good.  If you haven't seen them (but I suspect you may have) Up, Big Hero 6, How to train your dragon, kung fu panda, Minions, Finding Nemo.

Like all film genres, there's some good stuff at the top and plenty of not so good underneath.

You didn't enjoy Finding Nemo?  It might not be a film I'd watch multiple times, but it had a good cast and some great visuals.  I thought it was one if Pixar's better moments during a period of shit sequels designed to sell happy meals.

Sharks Tale is pants. Nemo is a classic. Surprised it bored you. I have seen Nemo multiple times now and its one of the few that I really dont mind on repeat in the house. So many other kids flicks dont allow for multiple views but Nemo does very much for me. Sign of a great kids flick IMO

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone seen the conjuring 2? 

I am not a fan of horror films and jesus christ I thought I was suffering from severe dehydration at the end as I'd been sweating so much, and my heart rate was off the scale. I honestly think you could die watching this film if you have a weak heart. The scares are insane.

I recommend having a thorough enema before watching too, or slip on a nappy.

Utterly terrifying stuff. Awful. I am never watching a horror film again. This is going to disturb my sleep for weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

So Ghostbusters. On one hand I'm seeing reviews on places like youtube saying its shit, on the other i'm reading reviews in the printed media saying basically if I don't go and see it and enjoy it I'm a massive misogynist.

14 hours ago, lost said:

So Ghostbusters. On one hand I'm seeing reviews on places like youtube saying its shit, on the other i'm reading reviews in the printed media saying basically if I don't go and see it and enjoy it I'm a massive misogynist.

It'll be shit. But only because all remakes like this are shit, it wouldnt matter who the lead roles were. I'll watch it though, the hype has seen to that.

Has anyone seen 10 cloverfield lane? I went into it knowing nothing at all about it, and found it pretty good. Recommended.

3 hours ago, russycarps said:

Has anyone seen 10 cloverfield lane? I went into it knowing nothing at all about it, and found it pretty good. Recommended.

I enjoyed it but felt that tacking the cloverfield association onto an apocalyptic bunker thriller was just a cheap way of getting arses on seats for a film that otherwise would have had little attention.

21 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I enjoyed it but felt that tacking the cloverfield association onto an apocalyptic bunker thriller was just a cheap way of getting arses on seats for a film that otherwise would have had little attention.

Yep, if it had turned out to be shit I'd have been fuming, but as it was decent I didnt mind the deception!

3 hours ago, Spindles said:

i thought it was a nice way of continuing the Cloverfield brand without repeating the rampaging monster story of the first film. obviously didn't need to be associated to the first film, but i liked how they did it. apparently a third film is being talked about so i'm curious to see where they go with that one and what genre of film it'll be

edit:

actually i can't remember exactly if the aliens in this were supposed to be related to the monster in the first. i'd always assumed they were but now i'm second guessing myself

Edited by FloorFiller

17 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

am still gonna go see it, but my expectations are suitably lower for this one than the last two (and i thought Into Darkness was pretty damn disappointing)

I thought Into Darkness was great. Never saw any Stark Trek before the JJ Abrams films, so I didn't really care that people thought they ripped off the other ones or weren't proper Star Trek films. Taken on their own merit they were exciting a well made space action blockbusters. I thought the whole point of the new one was to actually make a proper Star Trek film, but it's just a really shit space action blockbuster. The plot is really boring, nobody gets any character development, all the scenes feel like recycled versions of scenes from the last two. It's an utter empty vessel.

I watched 28 Days/Weeks Later over the last 2 nights. I don't know if it was just Sky or not but the first film seemed to be pretty poor picture quality and the sound seemed to be a bit all over the place.

I wish I had watched these films when they first came out as I remember everyone saying how good they were back in 2002 (I believe that's when the first came out?). Seems like there have been loads of these type of films since then.

Enjoyed them, especially the second. Just think I expected a bit too much because of how good people told me they were beforehand.