Films

Rufus Gwertigan

11 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

My brother said that but i want it explaining more haha

You put spoiler in [ ] then type your message, you used to have to end it with /spoiler inside [ ] but i don't think that's the case anymore.

RDJ is confirmed for his solo film so I guess we'll find out more then.

Really liked Civil War, maybe even more than the comic. The plot and character work definitely surpasses the comic, without a doubt. Really enjoyed the Scarlet Witch/Vision storyline, highlight of the film for me. My only two complaints are that there was some very offputting shaky cam wrecking some of the smaller fight scenes, and Spider-Man was god awful.

3 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Really liked Civil War, maybe even more than the comic. The plot and character work definitely surpasses the comic, without a doubt. Really enjoyed the Scarlet Witch/Vision storyline, highlight of the film for me. My only two complaints are that there was some very offputting shaky cam wrecking some of the smaller fight scenes, and Spider-Man was god awful.

You didn't like Spiderman? I thought he got the mix of nerd and smart arse spot on myself.

Am I the only one who thought Civil War was a snoozefest? Literally, in my case, which rarely happens. Far, far too long. And I really did not like the new spider-man. 

Finally watched Deadpool yesterday - that's how to make a superhero movie. Decent humour and the right balance between CG and practical effects. 

Oh, and +1 for The Jungle Book being great

Edited by Celery

17 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I must admit, i thought there was some shaky cam going on in the fight scenes.

Spiderman was awesome, best thing in the film.

1 hour ago, Celery said:

Am I the only one who thought Civil War was a snoozefest? Literally, in my case, which rarely happens. Far, far too long. And I really did not like the new spider-man. 

Finally watched Deadpool yesterday - that's how to make a superhero movie. Decent humour and the right balance between CG and practical effects. 

Oh, and +1 for The Jungle Book being great

I certainly don't think it's the best one of the MCU like people have said but it is a strong film, having read the comic i thought the film actually presents the idea of a superhero civil war much better.

Again, Spiderman was fantastic. Played a young naive superhero to a tee.

On 5/1/2016 at 10:31 AM, WS_Jack_III said:

Can you help me out?

Reveal hidden contents

how did Tony know he was Spiderman?

Deux Ex Machina =p  Not sure if that can be applied for this particular need, but its sort of true

:P

I bloody loved Civil War, looked fantastic on Imax to, was everything I would want from a super hero movie really. They absolutely nailed it.

Spider-man has never been a super hero I've ever really liked  that much but there was something about this Tom Holland version that I just loved. (The Aunt May MILF jokes were great to =p). Black Panther was just such a badass.

Was a little bit gutted, Iron Man "lost" I know its a Captain America film but it just felt a little forced/unlikely he would lose at that point.

Giant-Man's appearance was also totally awesome!, so glad they kept that a surprise for the film!!!

Finally saw BvS in the week to, which was pretty much god awful, its only saving grace was the fight scenes looked rather spectacular if a bit overblown on Imax. Civil War really showed it up on how to do this sort of Storyline right. It just had no plot or reason for them to be fighting really. The sad part is, I think they could have been onto something if they taken their time and done Superman 2 and Batfleck solo film first.

That said the Justice League/Wonder Woman music was ace and has me excited for those films. (I just hope Snyder isn't doing Justice League)

Edited by LondonTom

20 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

You didn't like Spiderman? I thought he got the mix of nerd and smart arse spot on myself.

Hated him, and I'm a huge fan. Found him unfunny and really annoying. I found their presentation of him really smug as well, they were so knowingly saying "Look! We've got a Spider-Man!" that it felt like he was pulling focus from pre-introduced characters. I'm happy for them to have a young and hot Aunt May if they want to, but don't have the film beat me around the head with self-congratulatory jokes about how young and hot your Aunt May is, I can see. I do feel that his role in the film served Tony's arc extremely well, but the execution didn't agree with me.

6 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

I certainly don't think it's the best one of the MCU like people have said but it is a strong film, having read the comic i thought the film actually presents the idea of a superhero civil war much better.

Yeah, I was brought into the main MU from being an Ultimate fan by Civil War, it tied everything together, you knew where everybody was (aside from the X-Men) and it was a perfect jumping on point. As such, I have a lot of nostalgia for it, it's the ground zero for my Marvel fandom. However, I do think the "Who's side are you on?" angle was very cack-handed in the comic. It was completely clear which side Marvel wanted you to be on; the Cap side. Tony's side were presented as a group of fascists, Cap's side were the plucky heroes we were supposed to support. This was really apparent when Spider-Man, the everyman character we were supposed to identify with, defected to Cap's team. However, Tony was really in the right, they were the only one's putting across a plausible argument, Cap's team just didn't want people in charge of them, even though it was clearly necessary for that to happen. The whole thing reads as really brazen "Congress don't take our guns!" propaganda, which is really weird considering how it's written by a left-wing Scot.  They had Captain America surrender in the end, but pretty much vindicated him in the following years with Dark Reign happening and the act eventually being repealed. 

I really didn't feel like the film positioned me to agree with either party. I was pretty much invited to not even pick a side, both Cap and Tony's motivations and actions felt true to their characters, I didn't come out of it disliking either of them. Cap raised infinitely better points in about 3 sentences in this film than any character in the comics did across the whole main series and roughly 1 zillion tie-ins. Amazingly, every single character's motivations were shown effectively, without the film feeling overstuffed at all. The fight scene between all the heroes balanced the high-stakes and comedic elements very well.

21 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yeah. I think Joy may actually be the dullest film I've ever seen.

I really liked Joy but yeah it's Oscar fodder, there's scene in the last 20ish mins where she has a breakdown fucking screams "I'm emoting! Look at my acting!" which slightly ruined it for me.

I enjoyed Civil War, it seems to me like an Age of Ultron apology by not forcing crap down your throat. I did keep finding Iron Man talking about how people need to be kept in check hypocritical when he's the loose cannon who creates Ulton, declares himself Iron Man to the public, gets so drunk that he pisses himself in the suit etc.

Edited by jump

SPOILERS AHEAD BUT I CAN'T BE ARDED SPOILERING THE WHOLE THING: loved Civil War. not the best (probably put it just under Guardians, Avengers 1 and Winter Soldier myself) but it really was great. the bad guy seemed totally underwritten as is the usual with Marvel films (except Loki), but i'm guessing him still being alive at the end means he will appear in a later film, and hopefully donning the proper outfit and being far more villainous. Black Panther was badass. very much looking forward to his solo film now, especially as it looks like it may turn out to be an all-star affair similar to Civil War due to the finale of this film

On 5/2/2016 at 9:40 PM, jump said:

I enjoyed Civil War, it seems to me like an Age of Ultron apology by not forcing crap down your throat. I did keep finding Iron Man talking about how people need to be kept in check hypocritical when he's the loose cannon who creates Ulton, declares himself Iron Man to the public, gets so drunk that he pisses himself in the suit etc.

Ha I had that worry before the film, that it didn't really make sense for the MCU Tony to go down the Pro Registration route but actually, they handled him coming to that side really well. 

He knows his emotional and needs someone else there to keep him in check, like Pepper was sort of doing at the end IM3.

1 hour ago, LondonTom said:

Ha I had that worry before the film, that it didn't really make sense for the MCU Tony to go down the Pro Registration route but actually, they handled him coming to that side really well. 

He knows his emotional and needs someone else there to keep him in check, like Pepper was sort of doing at the end IM3.

Yeah they presented it well with the Mum carrying the photo and Pepper missing but it doesn't change the 5 previous flicks of being the loose cannon. It's a small thing though.

1 hour ago, jump said:

Yeah they presented it well with the Mum carrying the photo and Pepper missing but it doesn't change the 5 previous flicks of being the loose cannon. It's a small thing though.

This was also something i said when i found out Iron Man was pro reg in the film. Considering how he basically told the military to go f*ck themselves when they asked him to turn over the suits.

I suppose in a sense, what happen in Ultron would have made him consider being put in check too.

Did anyone else think they bottled it with

nobody dying?

On 5/2/2016 at 7:21 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Hated him, and I'm a huge fan. Found him unfunny and really annoying. I found their presentation of him really smug as well, they were so knowingly saying "Look! We've got a Spider-Man!" that it felt like he was pulling focus from pre-introduced characters. I'm happy for them to have a young and hot Aunt May if they want to, but don't have the film beat me around the head with self-congratulatory jokes about how young and hot your Aunt May is, I can see. I do feel that his role in the film served Tony's arc extremely well, but the execution didn't agree with me.

Isn't smug and self-congratulatory the default setting of the Marvel MCU (even typing that acronym makes me feel grubby).

20 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Did anyone else think they bottled it with

Reveal hidden contents

nobody dying?

not bottled it so much, but i was definitely expecting somebody to kick the bucket. War Machine was the obvious candidate as he looked fucked in the trailer and then got shot out of the sky, so i'm interested to see why they kept him alive and what purpose he'll serve in the films now that he's paralysed. if not him i thought Hawkeye would be a goner as he's really not much use against Thanos etc (guess same could be said for Black Widow) 

38 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Hide contents

not bottled it so much, but i was definitely expecting somebody to kick the bucket. War Machine was the obvious candidate as he looked fucked in the trailer and then got shot out of the sky, so i'm interested to see why they kept him alive and what purpose he'll serve in the films now that he's paralysed. if not him i thought Hawkeye would be a goner as he's really not much use against Thanos etc (guess same could be said for Black Widow) 

was never going to be War Machine because of them showing it in the trailer. Also the whole him being paralysed didn't have any impact since you knew he'd just get some Iron Man tech to help.

Watched Gone Girl last night, thought it had been really overhyped. A nice enough thriller for the most part, but stuffed full of grating middle class angst, not a single relatable character in the whole thing. Would've benefited from being shorter, enjoyed it but no desire to see it again. I liked the soundtrack. There was a lovely cat in it.