Films

Rufus Gwertigan

8 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Just got back from the hateful eight. Nal - you're wrong. 

I have just seen it as well. I thought it was ok, but nothing more. I also think part of the skill of a filmmaker is being able to tell a story in a limited amount of time. As with most of his films it could easily lose half an hour without effecting quality.

see thats what I like about Tarantino, the fact that stuff takes ages, the door in the haberdashery, the making of coffee, the telling of stories, the serving up of the stew. obviously i havent finished it yet, so cant give my full opinion right now, but theres nothing I dislike so far.

12 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Just got back from the hateful eight. Nal - you're wrong. 

Saw it in 70mm Panavision, loved it, was drawn out which was great for a 1st watch but wouldn't rush to see it again.

58 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It's one I'll watch over and over but with a decent length of time between. Same as django to be honest. 

This.  Django is great entertainment, Hateful 8 just gives it all up for the comedy like Inglorious Basterds did.

As you say, the first scenes with Roth were like a hammy Waltz, but once he got going it was much better from him.

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It's one I'll watch over and over but with a decent length of time between. Same as django to be honest. 

Yep, funny I came away with that feeling of not rushing to view it again but as I was typing was thinking, well maybe I'll watch it again in the not too distant. Roth made me laugh with that hammy english bit, the rest of the characters were great & the guessing game of whose going next, well..............................................

On 2/2/2016 at 1:38 PM, Winslow Leach said:

I thought The Hateful Eight was properly awful. Someone really needs to learn to say 'No' to QT.

I didn't think it was that bad, but I'm certainly on your side of the fence. I saw it in the cinema in full 70mm - and it was properly beautiful, a visual treat... and then the other two and a half hours took place inside one room and it became incredibly tedious. It was on opening night, so I was surrounded by Tarantino fanatics, and listening to some of them during the interval and afterwards they all loved the dialogue, but - I dunno - I just find it boring (and that Samuel L. Jackson monologue was so cringe worthy). Maybe I went in there with a negative mindset, because I only really like Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs from his filmography, but it's safe to say I didn't come out of there converted.    

Edited by CHRLY

Has anyone done "Secret Cinema"?

I remember secret cinema getting some bad press over one of theirs not being ready or something last year, I just like the idea, and we spend a bit more time in the capital at the moment, so it might be worth a go?

Edited by t8yman

6 hours ago, t8yman said:

I remember secret cinema getting some bad press over one of theirs not being ready or something last year, I just like the idea, and we spend a bit more time in the capital at the moment, so it might be worth a go?

I've had friends who've gone before and said it's great but I can't be arsed with it myself.

I watched Joy last night, it was pretty good but 2/3rds of the way in there is a scene that just screams oscar fodder look at the acting type shit which afterwards disconnected me from the movie. 

8 hours ago, t8yman said:

Couple of mates went to see Empire Strikes Back last year and said it was the best film experience they'd ever had!  Not sure that Matt has actually shut up about it since...

13 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Blackfish  (finally watched it on netflix)

Oh my word...  What an absolute pile of fucking emotive w*nk that was...

Lacking facts, totally misleading, grossly emotive...  Just 100% propaganda...

How the hell it is so highly rated is beyond me.  And for it to be called "documentary"...  That is just insulting...

If you like this film, you are a fucking brainless idiot...  There is ZERO balance in the film...

I came out with similar views, although not quite as rabid!

If you want to see a really infuriating "documentary" try "Cowspiracy" - its a hoot, full of misleading "graphs" and visual "aids" that are clearly intended to mislead. Its like a masterclass in misdirection, and then - boom! the actual politics behind the message are revealed in the final act, like a massive slap around the face.