Films

Rufus Gwertigan

1 hour ago, t8yman said:

creed is fucking dreadful, no-one deserves any recognition for it. comparing it to the likes of the revenant displays a huge lack of understanding of the art of film making.

creed is popcorn, and if you like that kind of thing - fine, but no serious person could say it stands alongside other oscar winners in any way.

Well first art is subjective, you might think the oscars academy know fuck all about art and film making for nominating it but I don't think you've actually understood what I've put there. My points were that it holds its own against the first rocky which is also popcorn and that received 10 nominations plus if its that clear its dreadful it wouldn't of got any nominations would it, I'm saying "IF" it is getting a nomination it seems quite a challenge to pick the white guy.

Edited by lost

Oh I get your point, but its quite a challenge to view stallones performance as nomination worthy anyway. he is without a doubt the most convincing of the characters in the film, but its not even a 6/10 in terms of acting ability.

it doesnt hold its own against any of the rocky films - not even close. it has none of the soul, none of the genuine emotion, and none of the uplifting qualities of the originals.

creed is an interesting study in casting actually, because the only white people of any note in it are stallone, and the "baddie" (a brit nonetheless, in keeping with villainous brits in hollywood!)

3 minutes ago, t8yman said:

he is without a doubt the most convincing of the characters in the film, but its not even a 6/10 in terms of acting ability.

creed is an interesting study in casting actually, because the only white people of any note in it are stallone, and the "baddie" (a brit nonetheless, in keeping with villainous brits in hollywood!)

Which is why I said "it looks a bit dodgy" I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it. As you said its a film with 90 odd percent black actors and it gets one nomination for one of the token white guys Stallone who doesn't put in that great a performance.

23 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Bollywood is shite.  Its dreadful....  I am sure people from that culture love it but it isn't good enough to break across cultural boundaries where as hollywood films and European films do...  

The point I'm making is that with the sheer amount of films made globally, the idea that the 20 best performances of the year came from the 20 people nominated for the acting Oscars is laughable.

8 hours ago, t8yman said:

creed is fucking dreadful, no-one deserves any recognition for it. comparing it to the likes of the revenant displays a huge lack of understanding of the art of film making.

creed is popcorn, and if you like that kind of thing - fine, but no serious person could say it stands alongside other oscar winners in any way.

And The Revenant isn't? The Revenant is just stunt cinema with pretty cinematography. And of course it looks great, it's being shot by in incredible DP at incredible locations. At least Creed does some basic ground work of building its characters and their motivations, and actually earning the completion of its arc. I get the impression that Inarritu just does a bunch of 'Great Director' stuff without really stopping to think about why other directors did it in the first place. His films are full of shorthand signifiers of deep, epic greatness, but without anything to actually hang them on.

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 0:45 PM, lost said:

Which is why I said "it looks a bit dodgy" I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it. As you said its a film with 90 odd percent black actors and it gets one nomination for one of the token white guys Stallone who doesn't put in that great a performance.

I wouldn't say Stallone is a token white guy, he's there to spin off a new franchise using the Rocky name rather than making sure to up the white people quota so it's more of case where's he needed more than Jordan who's the star of the film.

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 0:37 PM, t8yman said:

Oh I get your point, but its quite a challenge to view stallones performance as nomination worthy anyway. he is without a doubt the most convincing of the characters in the film, but its not even a 6/10 in terms of acting ability.

it doesnt hold its own against any of the rocky films - not even close. it has none of the soul, none of the genuine emotion, and none of the uplifting qualities of the originals.[b/]

I disagree with the sould and emotion bit, I really bought into the start of the film with the Mum (I would of loved to seen more of their relationship) and the fight at the end where he's refusing to give up as he says something about proving he's not accident and then hitting the rocky theme after not using it throughout of the rest of the film.

Also fuck both the oscars and fuck the social warrior rubbish.

16 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think its entirely possible within the narrow group of films the Oscars looks at...

They don't even look at films, the films that get awards are the ones that get campaigned for. Creed fucked up by thinking it was sequel/reboot territory so wouldn't be oscar worthy and left it to the last min to hype it with Stallone being the easiest to boost, Beast with it's Netflix release fucked it self and Will Smith is just a c**t.

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

If they want an equal opportunity to have their skin colour to be a major factor on if they appear on the ballot paper then I say no...  

No one even suggested this. 

What is a problem is the under representation of black and other groups (including women) in the entire film industry.  So if 75% of film crews are white, is it a surprise when most the awards go to white people ?    

No, it's not a surprise. It happens every year, which is literally the point I'm making.

Solve the root problem and then awards will sort themsleves out.

I think what you mean by this is 'achieve equality, but in a way that's totally invisible so that I don't have to notice it.'

1 hour ago, Winslow Leach said:

No, it's not a surprise. It happens every year, which is literally the point I'm making.

I think I read somewhere during this that the %'s of nominations/wins for Black people from the last 20 years stack up with their % of the US population. 

That wouldn't be to hard, there just isn't that many awards/nominations ever really. (I'd be curious though at the percentages if you looked at all awards ceremonies, I'd imagine they might be as good)

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Well I took her to see it on Sunday and she loved it.  She did say it was scary but she enjoyed it.  We went for an enforced toilet break for the monster scene but she watched the rest and enjoyed it.  

I think its right to have it as a 12A.  Its good parents still got trusted with making some decisions for their children :P

Awesome!!! Now go buy her all the merch!! :P

1 hour ago, jump said:

The funny thing about the wicki wicki wild Smiths being bitter and playing the race card for Will's oscar fodder film being snubbed was he couldn't do it in the years he was actually nominated and lost as he always lost out to another black actor.

You're the only person in this thread who keeps talking about Will Smith.

3 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

You're the only person in this thread who keeps talking about Will Smith.

Eh, that's my first post about him. In anycase this all got started in this thread when someone else posted something about Ms. Wicki Wicki Wild Smith's rant about racism in in the Oscars which is less about equality and more about him getting a snub so why should I take her or this seriously.

The "black" films that could of got Oscars didn't play the Oscar game and Wicki Wicki Wild Smith is just like Tom Cruise and isn't respected in Hollywood enough to get an Oscar.

The funny thing is if it was last year with Selma getting a snub (which would of been too close to 12 Years of Slave winning for a racist claim to be seen as true) or it was about Latin American/Indian actors in general (rather than an empty holywood pat on the back award) I'd actually agree but at the end of the day there wasn't a stand out film you can say should be an Oscar slam dunk. Although I would if liked to see Idris Elba get an Oscar but a straight to Netflix movie wasn't going to be taken seriously.

3 minutes ago, jump said:

The funny thing is if it was last year with Selma getting a snub (which would of been too close to 12 Years of Slave winning for a racist claim to be seen as true) or it was about Latin American/Indian actors in general (rather than an empty holywood pat on the back award) I'd actually agree but at the end of the day there wasn't a stand out film you can say should be an Oscar slam dunk. Although I would if liked to see Idris Elba get an Oscar but a straight to Netflix movie wasn't going to be taken seriously.

It's almost as if you're arguing against the point you've convinced yourself I'm making, rather than the one I'm making.

22 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

It's almost as if you're arguing against the point you've convinced yourself I'm making, rather than the one I'm making.

Nah, I wasn't really replying to you but my point is the Oscars are hollywood patting itself on the back bullshit and social justice warriors declaring Oscars hate black people because Ms Wicki Wicki Wild Smith says so is also bullshit.

Edited by jump

The important thing for us to remember, is that black representation in the media shouldn't be taken seriously because Will Smith is silly. If the blacks want us really to listen to them, then they can vote a better spokesperson than The Fresh Prince at their next meeting. Do not mistake this issue as in any way a method of drawing attention to wider issues in the industry, this purely about the films the Oscar voters liked this year and nothing else.

• Upvote 1

I thought Lucy was a great idea that just fell down in its delivery, and Mad Max was one of those films you want to like, but it was just so relentless that it feels like being attacked by a mob.

in other news, people are talking about Joseph Feinnes being cast to play Michael jackson, dunno if its a hoax or not to raise some heckles in black hollywood?

1 hour ago, t8yman said:

I thought Lucy was a great idea that just fell down in its delivery, and Mad Max was one of those films you want to like, but it was just so relentless that it feels like being attacked by a mob.

in other news, people are talking about Joseph Feinnes being cast to play Michael jackson, dunno if its a hoax or not to raise some heckles in black hollywood?

Considering what he looked when he died they should cast a white female rather than a black male.

Edited by jump

Room is just fantastic. Brie Larson is incredible in her role, as is the young boy playing her son. The story really got to me, got under my skin. I went to see it on my own, but it's one of the few times I wish I'd gone with someone because I just wanted to talk about it afterwards. Woke up the next morning still thinking about it and it keeps popping into my thoughts. The weirdest thing happened to me afterwards, I'd gone into a shop and talking to the assistant I noticed that I was talking and acting strangely. Not like they needed to be worried about my actions strangely, but you know when you are upset, or overwhelmed and trying to act naturally and normally but coming across as anything but. It was like that. Over a film. Incredible. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

Room is just fantastic. Brie Larson is incredible in her role, as is the young boy playing her son. The story really got to me, got under my skin. I went to see it on my own, but it's one of the few times I wish I'd gone with someone because I just wanted to talk about it afterwards. Woke up the next morning still thinking about it and it keeps popping into my thoughts. The weirdest thing happened to me afterwards, I'd gone into a shop and talking to the assistant I noticed that I was talking and acting strangely. Not like they needed to be worried about my actions strangely, but you know when you are upset, or overwhelmed and trying to act naturally and normally but coming across as anything but. It was like that. Over a film. Incredible. 

Seeing it later this month, of all the big awards season releases it's by far the one I've been most looking forward to.