Films

Rufus Gwertigan

15 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Cadwalladr's rant in the Guardian was just that. An annoying read of a rant. I did not find it funny at all. Just perplexing at times and tiring at others. Her ramblings of ISIS grated and her feminist POV is as desperate as Pinkett Smith's and Lee's new Oscar racism card. 

The ISIS thing is silly, but her point is valid: the film and the central performance exist as nothing but monuments to the conditions of their making. 

And it's not exactly 'playing the race card' to point out how painfully white the OScars are. they can't even do their 'I have a black friend, honest' nominations right; the people they nominated for Creed and Straight Outta Compton are all white.

To be fair SOC was a good film, but nothing oscar worthy.  It would frankly be more intolerant for films to not be judged upon their merit but on their social makeup.  It's much like the women in music debate, whether you consider that affirmative action is a necessary and effective solution, I would think that most people don't.

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

To be fair SOC was a good film, but nothing oscar worthy.  It would frankly be more intolerant for films to not be judged upon their merit but on their social makeup.  It's much like the women in music debate, whether you consider that affirmative action is a necessary and effective solution, I would think that most people don't.

Oh I agree, SOC doesn't deserve a screenplay nod, but here's my fun Oscars fact I like to pull out at this time of year:

Meryl Streep has more Best Actress nominations than black women do.

I think she also has about 8 extra bones in her spine and drinks stem cell smoothies, but then I do have some odd ideas about people.

I think mrs Smith is just sore because hubby didn't get a nod for his 'serious' piece in a year when he's reportedly asking ludicrous money to appear in anything that mass audiences would watch.

But are black actors undeservedly not get nominated for roles in which they should obviously get nominated for, or are there still very few black actors getting main roles in Hollywood?  

Are the Oscar nominations racist or is it simply the western film industry that is still dominated by them there white folk? 

Smith does not deserve a nom for concussion IMO. And its not as if the Oscars have not acknowledged him in the past with his performances deemed worthy. Its stark that there are no black noms this year, but who are those that obviously deserve them this year and are being shunned? Defo not Smith IMO. 

15 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

But are black actors undeservedly not get nominated for roles in which they should obviously get nominated for, or are there still very few black actors getting main roles in Hollywood?  

Are the Oscar nominations racist or is it simply the western film industry that is still dominated by them there white folk? 

Both. Each factor informs the other to some degree. I don't get why people seem to be so against people pointing this out. Since when was pointing out that the Oscars are nonsense a problem? Even if Smith is complaining for selfish reasons, it doesn't make her wrong.

17 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Its stark that there are no black noms this year, but who are those that obviously deserve them this year and are being shunned? Defo not Smith IMO. 

Didn't think Beasts of No Nation was all that as a film, but its two central performances are a hell of a lot more impressive than the majority of this year's Actor and Supporting actor shortlists.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Am I missing anything else ?  Just wondering if there is another really scary scene I have forgot about ?  I don't think so...  The rest is just the same as the other movies.

Han dying was pretty hard on me =p 

Nothing I can remember, agreed most of it apart from the Rathtar scene isn't any worse than the other movies (and that has plenty of warning without missing to much story). Maybe the Kylo Ren/Rey torture scene? and I guess depends on your kid, but Snoke could maybe a bit much for them?

Speaking of Star Wars, VIII has been pushed back to a December released, bit gutted as I really want to know what happens...but I guess in the grand scheme of  Star Wars films, its not that long to wait :P 

I don't think TFA has anything as near as strong as the scenes you mention from RotS (which I agree could be nightmare fodder for a young lady of that age, so good shout) and the monsters eating everyone bit is well tempered with comedic moments enough to take the edge off for younger viewers with the whole sequence reminding me of something you might see in an episode of Doctor Who (there was certainly plenty of running and any actual violence was suggested and offscreen).

22 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

It doesn't include Phantom Menace so that was a no no...  She loved the Phantom Menace :P  Whatever adults think about it, kids love it :) 

Ah the beauty is, that you go back to it afterwards for kids/general amusement. A bit like the "A Star Wars Story" films will be =p

Tbh though, I wish you could Attack of the Clones out of it, I guess you could just watch The Clone Wars =p

I was 10 for TPM and did love it at the time, had all the lego for it and everything =p

Id say this race thing could be a boost for the Oscars in the end and the boycott could actually have the opposite effect of what it should wrt viewing numbers. The Oscars is on the radar more than ever this year because of it and a lot of people are extremely interested to see what Chris Rock does hosting it under the shadow of all this. It could potentially get bumper viewers as a result, rather than less.............

2 hours ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Id say this race thing could be a boost for the Oscars in the end and the boycott could actually have the opposite effect of what it should wrt viewing numbers. The Oscars is on the radar more than ever this year because of it and a lot of people are extremely interested to see what Chris Rock does hosting it under the shadow of all this. It could potentially get bumper viewers as a result, rather than less.............

To be fair a boycott that didn't draw attention to the thing being boycotted would be pretty pointless.

IMO.. Straight out of Compton isn't great and doesn't deserve best pic, haven't seen the will smith one so can't comment.

Creed though does look a bit dodgy. I know films normally get nominations in clusters from different categories, the first rocky I believe got 10 and this I would say hold its own against the original. Creed has got one from I guess a possible 4:

Best Director: Ryan Coogler (black)

Best Actor: Michael Jordan (black)

Best Supporting Actor: Stallone (white)

Best Supporting Actress: Tessa Thompson (black)

If I was going to pick one of those it probably wouldn't be Stallone. 

Edited by lost

creed is fucking dreadful, no-one deserves any recognition for it. comparing it to the likes of the revenant displays a huge lack of understanding of the art of film making.

creed is popcorn, and if you like that kind of thing - fine, but no serious person could say it stands alongside other oscar winners in any way.