Films

Rufus Gwertigan

5 minutes ago, When Jokers Attack said:

Absolutely brilliant, exceeded my expectations.

Very very good. Not without its faults, but it brings a lot of new things to the series and still stays very true to the originals. The character work is all utterly perfect on every front, visuals are also on-point the whole way through. Stands its ground against the original films, I can completely see this being somebody's first Star Wars film and making them fall in love the same way the originals did. Rey could turn out to be the best character the series has ever had. No surprises plot-wise that you can't work out from the trailer, story has a lot of twists and turns and hits a lot of great beats, but doesn't quite touch the originals. Villains are serviceable but leave something to be desired. C3PO should be edited out in JJ's Special Editions, he just doesn't work in this one. Jokes! All the way through, it's probably the funniest Star Wars all the way through, which helps alleviate the fact that it's also the darkest. I give it an 8/10, with 1million bonus points for being so fucking Star Warsy.

Got round my quandry over seeing spoilers by running straight to my local flicks straight after work this morning.  I'll still go see it again on the weekend though.

I was extremely pleased, I cannot wait to see how Rey develops.  Some great performances across the board;Domnall Gleeson played his part to absolute perfection, so much so that he was barely recognisable for such a familiar face and Kylo Ren makes for a great villain perfectly in tune with the previous films, so great to see Carrie Fisher back on the screen (although shame on them for making her lose weight, I say, let the woman they show be the woman she is).

No spoilers from me, but enough to say that the film was littered with references to earlier films that have a new shiny coat of paint on them and look all the better for it.  Visually and audibly fantastic and I walked out of the cinema almost as excited as I did as a 6 year old a long time ago in a cinema not that far away.

I thought Adam Driver did a great job with the helmet off personally. Without that, the more human side of him wouldn't have worked at all. And I thought he delivered big time.

Agree about too much comedy, and the dialogue was just a little too clean at times. Was I the only one thinking "that's not how they talk there?"

1 hour ago, Spindles said:

Hateful 8 was exactly what I expected, lots of laughs, twists, turns and tension with the characteristic dialogue and bloodlust of Tarantino.  Goggins, Jackson and Leigh stood out with some really engrossing screen time and charisma.

Didn't know it was out yet!!!? I bloody love a bit of Tarentino!

On the topic of Star Wars, oh boy it was epic to 'relive' the spectacle, of which I was a huge childhood fanatic, with some new cast and vision amongst the old classics. Soundtrack was impressive, script was well above the quality of a standard modern day thriller, the visuals were up their with the old. The plot wasn't bad, but wasn't stellar, reminded me of a lot of old Star Wars! Nevertheless I thought it was absolutely brill go and see!