Films

Rufus Gwertigan

not at all odd IMHO, we glorify and sensationalise "bad" people all of the time. tony montana, darth vader, michael corleone, ed gein. its a part of our reality, there would be very little drama if we didnt have bad guys, either real or fictional.

People voted for the Tories, ultimate bad-guy glorifying.

It is just me who finds anything glorifying the Kray twins a bit odd? Does it? I've not seen/read enough to know what tone it finally lands on

Wouldn't call it glorifying, the Kemp ones did that slightly more with their pretty-boy posing.

You have to accept the fact that they did have relatively glamorous lives and the gang they are most know for violence against, the Richardson Gang, are some of the most notoriously and consistently vicious criminals the UK has produced.

This is true, I just wonder how much of their activities get glossed over!

Their early careers were about hijacking, armed robbery, arson, extortion, assault. Working for a Scouse boss apparently. There are allegation of another murder (a villain) and it's far from impossible there are more. The films give the impression they left the bodies of both Cornell and McVitie in public, but actually they disposed of McVitie and it was never found.

The Krays skims over the late 50s and early 60s years, Legend ignores them completely. I think a Krays film that ends just as they get their own place would be interesting, just the early days koshing and thuggery, but I'm not sure how accurate those individual crimes could be.

Edited by viberunner

Finally got around to seeing Legend yesterday evening. I'm glad I had read peoples opinions on here first so that my expectations were very low. I enjoyed myself - can 100% agree with all the above complaints but for the expectations I entered with I had a few chuckles and was entertained in parts. The company I was with probably helped but I didn't come out of the cinema livid with myself that id spent money on it (like I did for Jurassic World).  

Edited by mjsell

• 2 weeks later...

Way behind the times and probably not the cup of tea of most here but watched Inside Out with my 4 year old this morning. I absolutely adored it - one of the most creative and gorgeous looking films I've ever seen. I unashamedly cried three times :lol:

• Upvote 1

Watched Star Trek Into Darkness on Netflix this morning. What was everybody bitching about? One of the best sci-fi action films about, great fun, would watch again.

thought it was a bit shit in comparison to the first one myself. Cumberbatch being Kahn just seemed unnecessary to me, and the whole Kirk/Spok swap from the original film just seemed lazy. still excited for the third film though

the new Mission Impossible is now available and i watched that. thought it was brilliant. Tom Cruise may be a total nutter but by god does he do good action films (even if he does just play the same character in every one)

I've not seen the previous film since it was out in the pictures so I don't remember how it stacks up. Also I've never seen any original Star Trek, so anything linking up to them is going to completely pass me by. I don't usually like Cumberbatch but I thought he was really good in this, he makes a much better villain than hero. A couple of things that did bother me were when Sylar Spock asks old Spock how they beat Khan last time and it fades out but never goes back to it. Presumably people who've seen the old Star Treks get what's going on there, but did genius old Mr Spock really say "I sprinted after him for a while and then beat him senseless on top of a flying car"? And Captain Kirk being revived by Khan's cells was obvious and spoiled the tension there for me. Also Zoe Saldana needs to do something else with her career other than play space-film-love-interest. She's played the same character in all four films I've seen her in, and it's a shit character.

Way behind the times and probably not the cup of tea of most here but watched Inside Out with my 4 year old this morning. I absolutely adored it - one of the most creative and gorgeous looking films I've ever seen. I unashamedly cried three times :lol:

Nope its brilliant and I didn't cry but did have to hold them back at times! Certainly hits all the emotions at times! Disney/Pixar at their very best!

Watched Star Trek Into Darkness on Netflix this morning. What was everybody bitching about? One of the best sci-fi action films about, great fun, would watch again.

Mostly that it was reworking of TWOK, that JJ kept  who Cumberbatch playing a massive secret despite everyone saying it was TWOK and well you addressed the other points below :P

I've not seen the previous film since it was out in the pictures so I don't remember how it stacks up. Also I've never seen any original Star Trek, so anything linking up to them is going to completely pass me by. I don't usually like Cumberbatch but I thought he was really good in this, he makes a much better villain than hero. A couple of things that did bother me were when Sylar Spock asks old Spock how they beat Khan last time and it fades out but never goes back to it. Presumably people who've seen the old Star Treks get what's going on there, but did genius old Mr Spock really say "I sprinted after him for a while and then beat him senseless on top of a flying car"? And Captain Kirk being revived by Khan's cells was obvious and spoiled the tension there for me. Also Zoe Saldana needs to do something else with her career other than play space-film-love-interest. She's played the same character in all four films I've seen her in, and it's a shit character.

Old Spock would have told him about TWOK I guess,  which basically had the same idea to defeat Kahn but it was Spock's sacrifice instead and yeah they could have gone with something else than super blood. (Cause otherwise why the hell are they not defrosting every single member of Kahn's crew and extracting the blood?!)

I think mainly it was the build up and it being reworking of what is widely regarded as the best Star Trek film. By itself its not a bad film, I quite like I just think with a few changes and Cumberbatch not being called Kahn it could have utterly fantastic and avoided the criticism and it would still had the same basic story.

I'm really looking forward to the Martian, it sounds like the kind of hard sci fi that didn't used to get made (like Interstellar) because people wanted explosions and space battles, not the struggles of exploration and the limits of our technology.  I haven't read the book, but it's on my reading list so I'll likely watch the film and then enrich that experience with the book later.

As for Star Trek into darkness.  For me, it failed on 2 levels, it wasn't as good as the previous reboot film, nor anywhere near as good as the film it was referencing.  That aside it wasn't terrible, just disappointing and I'd hope that a 3rd film would be more enjoyable is it is less likely to be so heavily referencing the past.

The Martian is absolutely top drawer stuff. 2 hours and 20 minutes but it absolutely flies by, and it's incredibly faithful to it's excellent source material which helps.

Oh really? I've heard a few people who were really looking forward to it  as they had read the book say they was disappointed in it. Apparently left out more of the technical stuff in the book.

Taken Without Owner's.... Konsent?

I don't speak Klingon or whatever you're on about here.

The Wrath of Kahn!!!

Oh really? I've heard a few people who were really looking forward to it  as they had read the book say they was disappointed in it. Apparently left out more of the technical stuff in the book

If they didn't leave some of that stuff out, it'd have been about 5 hours long. Anyone expecting it all to be in there is deluded.