Films

Rufus Gwertigan

Never liked Gambit in the comics. Not sure why, just never thought he was quite what he could have been. I liked the x-films, not all great but mostly good, and am interested to see where they go with the next one. As for crossing over with the Avengers, well, dare I say Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, Beast? All great, if not pivotal characters in both the Avengers and X-Men comics in the 70s. Could easily turn up in either series of films I'd say (obviously Beast already has).
This is something I've been wondering - Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are both Avengers, they were always part of that team as long as I read the books - but they're Magneto's mutant children - so are they in the X-Men (Fox) or the Marvel (Disney) stable? Always wondered about those two. They're fairly major characters, Scarlet Witch especially since she was at the centre of that Civil War stuff.

Spider-Man is an Avenger too. Shame we won't ever see those massive events that effect everybody - Civil War, Onslaught etc. That was half the fun with Marvel - seeing them all interact and fall out and the politics of it all. It won't happen, ever, but I can dream.

They can't even get a decent Venom story - that thing wrote itself and they still screwed it up.

5(?) X-Men movies and no Sentinals? How has that happened?

Edited by Purple Monkey

This is something I've been wondering - Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are both Avengers, they were always part of that team as long as I read the books - but they're Magneto's mutant children - so are they in the X-Men (Fox) or the Marvel (Disney) stable? Always wondered about those two. They're fairly major characters, Scarlet Witch especially since she was at the centre of that Civil War stuff.Spider-Man is an Avenger too. Shame we won't ever see those massive events that effect everybody - Civil War, Onslaught etc. That was half the fun with Marvel - seeing them all interact and fall out and the politics of it all. It won't happen, ever, but I can dream.They can't even get a decent Venom story - that thing wrote itself and they still screwed it up.5(?) X-Men movies and no Sentinals? How has that happened?

Wasn't Spider-Man only an Avenger in recent years, as in after the films came out? Same with Wolverine, he's been an Avenger recently. And there was a sentinel head in X3. I can see the issue with them tbh, it's all about human evolution and wham, hello giant robots. Kind of jars a bit. Maybe if they put an X-51 sideline in there as well...

Wasn't Spider-Man only an Avenger in recent years, as in after the films came out? Same with Wolverine, he's been an Avenger recently. And there was a sentinel head in X3. I can see the issue with them tbh, it's all about human evolution and wham, hello giant robots. Kind of jars a bit. Maybe if they put an X-51 sideline in there as well...

Wolverine & Spider-Man were put into Avengers when Bendis took over as sales had been sliding so they tried to do what Morrison did with Justice League and make it an all-star line up to get sales back up. Those issues mirrored the early Avengers alot, a big incident brought them together, they had Daredevil who refused to join similar to the Hulk, the line up was complete in 3 issues in with Caprain America/Wolverine, Iron Man is the leader again etc

IMO I can see how robots fit in with evolution, mutants have powers to advance up the food chain so humans use tools (Sentinels) as they have done to advance up the food chain before.

This is something I've been wondering - Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are both Avengers, they were always part of that team as long as I read the books - but they're Magneto's mutant children - so are they in the X-Men (Fox) or the Marvel (Disney) stable? Always wondered about those two. They're fairly major characters, Scarlet Witch especially since she was at the centre of that Civil War stuff.

They are co-owned by both studios but to actually use them requires a lot legal bullshit with an outcome not being likely to happen so neither own them or will use them. Same with the Skrull who were meant to be in Avengers but as it looked like an agreement wouldn't be met they used the Chitari or whatver they were called in the Ultimates instead as they were orginally in Fantastic Four.

Is Day-Lewis really THAT good? Best actor that ever lived? Or is being the only man to ever win the oscar for best lead male 3 times is not a true representation of quality? What do you think guys?

IMO Oscars mean shit, if I was to name someone as the greatest actor of all time it would be Peter Sellers.

Is Day-Lewis really THAT good? Best actor that ever lived? Or is being the only man to ever win the oscar for best lead male 3 times is not a true representation of quality? What do you think guys?

IMO Oscars mean shit, if I was to name someone as the greatest actor of all time it would be Peter Sellers.

Peter Mullen

Eddie Marsan

Steven Rea

Vincent Cassel

Philip Seymour Hoffman

Kevin Spacey

I would normally include DeNiro and Pacino in that list, but the fact that they havent played a decent role for years kind of disqualifies them currently TBH.

All IMHO obviously. All actors I would much rather watch than DDL.

DDL is an amazing actor. Definitely one of the best that has ever lived. He is also more discerning than most in his choices and is nowhere near as prolific as some other actors. He doesn't just play versions of himself which a lot of actors are prone to doing. He seems in real life to be a fairly quiet and unassuming person but is capable of playing such a range of characters.

There are lots of other excellent actors but most of them are happy to be in some complete duds for the money to finance more worthy projects whereas DDL just doesn't seem to do that.

I was actually pretty happy with all the acting winners at the Oscars this year. Seen most of the films but not all and from the ones I had seen I think they got it right.

He's only made 20 odd films and only 5 in the last 15 years. I think his discerning nature is to his credit. Spacey has had some pretty shoddy roles and nothing memorable to my mind for years.

House of Cards is pretty damn special.

• 2 weeks later...

I stand by my point. But I'm obviously a niparse over spoilers. What if someone hasnt seen the original?

Isn't it a given the goodie beats the baddie in virtually all these types of films and I don't think anyone would want to see it if they haven't already seen The Wizard Of Oz which itself is one of the most seen films of all time?

Besides I was mindful of spoilers by avoiding saying how he does it & who he beats specifically and the actual crap plot twists/developments of the film.

Edited by jump