NEXT GEN CONSOLES

The Nal

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried it out on the PC yesterday, not entirely sure what I make of it. The GTA style elements are as you'd expect, however the hacking abilities seem to crowd the screen at times and it's a bit too much visual clutter for my tastes. Still quite early in the story, so probably too early to judge.

Amazon are selling the Xbox One on it's own without Kinect for £350. Is there really any point in that?! I was expecting it to be £300 at most.. You can buy a Xbox one with Kinect and Titanfall for £380 in most places.

Don't bother with that at Game you can the console, Kinect, Titanfall and two more games for £420

Well watchdogs is getting some rather lukewarm reviews. Eurogamer gave it a 7, but the review text reads like lower, and inexplicably, Gametrailers sounded rather unimpressed with it, and gave it 8.9!

and this video, showing what GTA IV was capable of in 2008, shows up W_D's to be rather shoddily made indeed. Next gen my arse

Edited by t8yman

Well watchdogs is getting some rather lukewarm reviews. Eurogamer gave it a 7, but the review text reads like lower, and inexplicably, Gametrailers sounded rather unimpressed with it, and gave it 8.9!

and this video, showing what GTA IV was capable of in 2008, shows up W_D's to be rather shoddily made indeed. Next gen my arse

The reviews seem fine, some go as low as a 7 but they are all upwards from there probably averaging around 8.5. It's not gonna be GOTY but it seems to be a very good game. I ain't gonna pay up whatever they're charging for it on PS3 (InFamous is still £40+) but I'll grab it when it's finally discounted.

Visuals were clearly held back by having ps3 / 360 versions I think. Reckon we'll see a clear distinction this holiday between games that keep previous-gen iterations (Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, Far Cry) and those that go exclusive to PS4 and Xbox One (Batman, The Order, Drive Club).

Sensing a vibe of delays / releases to 2015 though, albeit it's all kinda speculation before E3. I reckon the first wave of games that really feel like they 'need' the new consoles won't be before then. It took roughly that long for Gears of War and Uncharted to come out and show off the 360 and PS3.

There's a few problems with that video.

Both games are running on, by the looks of the specs of the PC, not a great PC. The processor is weak and the graphics card is dated. The only decent spec on that PC is the RAM. Meaning that THAT version of watchdogs will not be anywhere near Ultra settings, not even High settings, they're probably on Medium settings. Now baring in mind that the next-gen console version is supposedly somewhere between High and Ultra, you can't really say "next-gen my arse" haha

Yes, GTA looks better in that video, but there is no way in hell that you can compare GTAIV (or even watchdogs on those settings) to watchdogs on a next-gen console, let alone a high end PC with it running on Ultra.

Edited by TheJackson

Mhmm starting to think I should have gone for the PC version of Watch Dogs then....

All I'm saying is, that video of watchdogs is not on a decent PC, if it was being played on a decent PC with High/Ultra settings, or a next-gen console, they would not be saying that GTAIV looks better :sarcastic:

I also don't think the shadow effects and the environment damage etc. on the PC version of GTAIV were on the console version either? Could be wrong there though, been ages since I played it!

Playstation Plus is now

2 PS3

2 PS Vita

and now

2 PS4

every month from now on.

This months games are

PS4 and PS3 - Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate

PS4 - Trine 2 Complete Story

PS3 - NBA 2K14

PS3 and Vita - Lone Survivor

Vita - Dragons Crown

Vita - Surge Deluxe

So even tho technically 6 games, its 2 for PS4, 3 for PS3 and 3 for Vita.

Really enjoying Watchdogs, it feels quite clever and fun to play...not noticed anything terrible in graphics but I've not played a top AAA game in a few years so maybe thats why.

The city size is really impressive!! I suppose its a bit like GTA really, except for less pointless killing and being violent for the sake of it, I'd guess sort of Batman meets GTA with cyberpunk undertones would describe the story/feel well :P

Bought Watchdogs on friday and played a few hours over the weekend. Its ok, not as good as it should/could have been though. I don't see the comparison with GTA at all, other than its an open world game? GTAV was far superior in storytelling, humour, the world itself, the characters, variety, the sheer amount of stuff to do, everything in GTA just feels right, it all feels human. Watchdogs is nothing in comparison really, Chicago is probably half the size of Los Santos. AI enemies are just like robots, Aiden Pearce is BORING and there's a lot of repetition outside of the Campaign missions. Graphically it only really shows itself off at night, in the city, when its raining. Other than that I don't think its anything special, especially after playing Infamous a few months ago.

All that being said there are some parts I like, plunging the city into darkness with a blackout NEVER gets old, and I like the stealth aspects a lot and they work quite well. Even though the world (on PS4 anyway) is quite densely populated there's not much going on (same can't be said for the HUD though, as there's often a load of shit cramming up your screen), the profiler makes this work though giving you a backstory on people and letting you listen in to phone conversations etc. for some genuinely funny moments. I also like how the police are insanely solid, there's no outrunning them at all. The online play is good fun too, stuff like hiding in a car while hacking another player and watching them frantically try to find you is hilarious.

We'll see how it goes.

Edited by TheJackson

I went back to BF4, it seems better than when I left it, I think they may be close to fixing it (ridiculous!). Still getting sound dropouts, textures not loading, getting killed whilst in cover etc. But its still better than any other game I have played for a long time.

And the Battlefield Hardline announcement last week had me interested, there are a lot of cynics saying "its not battlefield", but I am genuinely looking forward to it, and hopefully EA/Dice have learnt enough lessons from BF4 for it not to be an unmitigated disaster. Hopefully there will be an extensive open beta before launch, especially for EVERYONE who bought BF4, not just Premiums (which I am, but feel that the beta needs to be huge, and for a long time).

And the Battlefield Hardline announcement last week had me interested, there are a lot of cynics saying "its not battlefield", but I am genuinely looking forward to it, and hopefully EA/Dice have learnt enough lessons from BF4 for it not to be an unmitigated disaster. Hopefully there will be an extensive open beta before launch, especially for EVERYONE who bought BF4, not just Premiums (which I am, but feel that the beta needs to be huge, and for a long time).

EA are obviously publishing it, but DICE aren't developing Hardline. Visceral Games (who developed Dead Space 1,2 and 3 and a few others different titles) are developing it, so who knows?!

AFAIK Visceral are only doing the SP. That was based on the discussions on the IGN podcast on friday?

Dice are generally great at developing MP, I firmly believe they were rushed by EA on BF4.

EA need to wake up and try and avoid their obssession with being a "COD Killer", COD players rarely play BF, and vice versa, they arent even targetting the same audience IMHO.

edited to add, visceral are lead designer, with DICE collaboration.

Edited by t8yman