NEXT GEN CONSOLES

The Nal

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to be big on video games up until about last year when I had little time due to revision for exams. I ended up selling my playstation three but it was the biggest regret I've got!

Don't know whether to bother buying another ps3 because I would want a 60GB one or to go for a ps4.

Bioshock 1 & 2 for £3.74 each on Xbox today.

Far Cry 2 for £2.24.

Ridiculous.

It is if you payed £30 for them on release.

I decided a few years ago that I had so much stuff I hadn't played through that I would just amuse myself playing them and wait for the second hand market.

I've been posting about portable gaming recently. I was a pre order, queue up for midnight on release day nerd for the DS and PSP at the time.

I think I paid £35 for GTA LCS when it came out on PSP.

You can pick up a PSP with a huge game collection for that now.

I've started gaming online with friends and have come to the conclusion I need a headset. Anyone got any recommendations for cheapish headsets that aren't horribly shit? £10-£15 range preferably.

My local Morrisons were doing headsets with a mike for £3.99.

You get what you pay for at that price, but for that price they were perfectly adequate.

The weak points were the usual. The bend between connection and lead. Always the first bit to go on cheap headphones. One wire severs and you end up with one ear mono unless you grip the sever together.

And terrible sound bleed. Not ones for public transport. The phrase is personal stereo.

But for that price, and if they're for home use, I don't mind if they only last three months.

My local Morrisons were doing headsets with a mike for £3.99.

You get what you pay for at that price, but for that price they were perfectly adequate.

The weak points were the usual. The bend between connection and lead. Always the first bit to go on cheap headphones. One wire severs and you end up with one ear mono unless you grip the sever together.

And terrible sound bleed. Not ones for public transport. The phrase is personal stereo.

But for that price, and if they're for home use, I don't mind if they only last three months.

Yeah, I was looking for something a bit better with more longevity, hence the double figures range. Cheers though.

So can you get all that with the 14 day free membership? Seems too good to be true.

Even if you get that for £5.49 for a months membership it seems worth it.

You'll only be able to play the free games as long as your PS plus membership is active, so if you get a 14-day membership, you will only be able to play them for 14 days.

This is great news

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-07-far-cry-the-wild-expedition-is-a-compilation

The original PC Far Cry is coming out on 360 and PS3 on the 12th Of February, it has been remade in HD for the consoles. I really hope it has aged well, as it was one of the best shooters on the PC of its time. Just the demo level was incredible on its own, I remember playing that one level over and over and over again.

It will be £7.99 as a standalone XBLA and PSN purchase, or as part of a bundle with the other games.

edited to say

hmmm, not sure if this is the original pc game or the poor xbox version....

Edited by t8yman

freddie w nails it again, great vid

On another note, I almost bought an xbox one yesterday, drove into town, parked up, bought a ticket for my parking, got back in my van, checked I had enough money on me, and then bottled it, buckled up and drove home. I still cant decide. PS4 is better on paper, but I really want to play titanfall, and I really really know that once halo comes out, I'll wish I had a one. Plus I'm only really playing BF4 at the moment, and does slightly better graphics (and admittedly more maps) really justify splashing nearly £500 in January? thats why I faltered.

Edited by t8yman

Best game I picked up over Christmas was "Gone home" I guess it may help if your formative years were in the 1990's but its a seriously immersive story. Probably made it into my top 3 of the year with GTA 5 and the last of us.

I installed BF3 from the Humble Bundle that it was in a few weeks ago! (likely more).

Sadly its another FPS where I seem to get sick after about 20 minutes...apparently you can change the Field of View to aleiviate this but didn't feel like trying after already getting ill from it.

Bloody great graphics though!

First weekend with my ps4, was a pretty enjoyable one. Resogun is great fun and for what is effectively a free game you get with the thing its great value. I was a massive Super Stardust fan (top 100 leaderboards, top 5 on the vita one) so hoped to get another high score on the Resogun leaderboards. Unsure I'll bother as they've changed the scoring system to a style I enjoy less, but going to give it a good go before deciding if I commit.

Other game I got with the console was Killzone. The single player felt incredibly boring one mission in, but it is extremely pretty. I'm sure the graphics are just the tip of what the consoles capable of though, as looking back at the first Resistance and Motorstorm the Ps3 came a long way - and the PS4 seems to have a lot more under the hood once developers properly get their tteeth into it. The online for Killzone is superb though, extremely fun, graphics look stunning with pretty much no lag or slowdown or any framerate issues or hitches at all - this must be the standard for PS4 online now that they charge. Think I will be properly getting my teeth into it though!

The consoles interface is a massive improvement too, loading games takes mere seconds and navigating around menus to message friends of view trophies isn't the cumbersome trudge through slow, laggy menus it was on ps3.

Overall I heartily recommend the PS4 to anyone on the fence - but don't expect a breath taking new revolution in gaming that other consoles may of supplied. The last gen of consoles were extremely good at doing what we wanted them to, and the new batch just do it better. The games lineup is slim pickihngs too, I don't mind as I figure I can either buy a ps4 now for what it offers and have it for when the big hitters come out this holiday. Some people may rather wait until the games are there.

freddie w nails it again, great vid

On another note, I almost bought an xbox one yesterday, drove into town, parked up, bought a ticket for my parking, got back in my van, checked I had enough money on me, and then bottled it, buckled up and drove home. I still cant decide. PS4 is better on paper, but I really want to play titanfall, and I really really know that once halo comes out, I'll wish I had a one. Plus I'm only really playing BF4 at the moment, and does slightly better graphics (and admittedly more maps) really justify splashing nearly £500 in January? thats why I faltered.

Isn't Titanfall coming out on 360 as well?

You'll only be able to play the free games as long as your PS plus membership is active, so if you get a 14-day membership, you will only be able to play them for 14 days.

As far as I'm aware, if your subscription runs out and you later resubscribe you will have access to all your games again.

Plus you can "buy" PS4 and Vita games even if you don't have the system yet