Kendal Calling 2013

Guest ramragon

With the 2012 forum slipping down the page and all the discussions done surrounding it, i think its time to strike up next years plans and thoughts. I'll start the ball rolling !

Shame we didnt have a forum for seperate topics witin the forum section but thats being considered, and after nearly 2700 posts in last years trawl i would hope so, as looking back or trying to find stuff became very time consuming.

It may be just over 11 months away but id be bored without some discussion about it so here goes, a lot of the main stage acts will depend on who's touring and who's not next year, its obviously too far away to tell with any accuracy who'll be doing the rounds but thinking about bands that will be producing new material and who fit in to the affordability bracket i'll plug for a few of the following ! -

2 door cinema club

Example

Bombay BC

Spiritualized

Scissor Sisters

Embrace

Vaccines

Frank Turner

Razorlight

Paul Weller

Alabama Shakes

Courteeners

Little Comets

Tunng

Bloc Party

As usual at this time of year we'll be lucky if theres a 100 posts by december ! Lets see whos still out there

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here's to 2013,I would like to see and i think they are all do-able, The Manics,The Charlatans,The Hives,The Courteeners,The Stranglers,The Enemy,The Rifles,Miles Kane,The Gaslight Anthem,The Vaccines,The Maccabees Example,The Knife Party,Sub-Focus,Wretch 32 Labrinth,Metronomy,Pulled Apart By Horses,Enter Shikari,Hadouken,Rizzle Kicks.(all main stage and dance tent) And if they really push the boat out i think The Stereophonics and Paul Weller is acheivable

Edited by goonerming

OK...here we go-.

* Manics (Sunday night headliner...loads of songs people know, still brilliant)

* Vaccines ( Saturday night headliner...gonna be massive, already great)

* Jimmy Cliff

* I Am Kloot

* We Are Augustines

* Charlatans (playing before Manics)

* Public Enemy

* Bombay Bicycle Club (before Vaccines)

* Wind-Up Birds (because one day they will be as massive as they should be already!)

* Subways

* Super Furrys (best band in the world ever)

* Teenage Fanclub

* Roots Manuva

* Cold War Kids (if they're touring)

* Spearhead (great festival band)

* Billy Bragg

* Embrace

* Carter USM

* British Sea Power

* Roachford

* Lemonheads

* Miles Hunt

* Deadbeat Echoes

* Bibelots

* The Twang

* Puressence

Think they'll struggle to beat this years line-up though...

Edited by Flaminglippy

With the 2012 forum slipping down the page and all the discussions done surrounding it, i think its time to strike up next years plans and thoughts. I'll start the ball rolling !

Shame we didnt have a forum for seperate topics witin the forum section but thats being considered, and after nearly 2700 posts in last years trawl i would hope so, as looking back or trying to find stuff became very time consuming.

It may be just over 11 months away but id be bored without some discussion about it so here goes, a lot of the main stage acts will depend on who's touring and who's not next year, its obviously too far away to tell with any accuracy who'll be doing the rounds but thinking about bands that will be producing new material and who fit in to the affordability bracket i'll plug for a few of the following ! -

2 door cinema club

Example

Bombay BC

Spiritualized

Scissor Sisters

Embrace

Vaccines

Frank Turner

Razorlight

Paul Weller

Alabama Shakes

Courteeners

Little Comets

Tunng

Bloc Party

As usual at this time of year we'll be lucky if theres a 100 posts by december ! Lets see whos still out there

Friday night...... Tinie temper or example

Saturday.......... Dunno as long as they are not as shit maximo park al be happy!

Sunday.......... New order or primal scream

Hopefully the Lancashire hot pots al be having a year off, maybe get the grumble weeds in to fill that place!

Friday night...... Tinie temper or example

Saturday.......... Dunno as long as they are not as shit maximo park al be happy!

Sunday.......... New order or primal scream

Hopefully the Lancashire hot pots al be having a year off, maybe get the grumble weeds in to fill that place!

the november release last year got you tickets at the 2011 price, tenner cheaper, also gave you the comfort of having an early buy option on emperors and campervan tickets which saved a bit of grief and stress on release day.

Dare say if the options there again this year i'll snap it up, did anyone catch Admiral Fallow this year ? heard they were pretty decent and see theyve got a tour in december which i might try and get tickets for, Cluny in Newcastle which is an excellent small venue, had a bit of a laugh to myself as the cluny also have serious sam barrett listed, who knows if he ever appeared at Kendal, after being the first confirmation that we knew about

Friday : Alabama Shakes, King Charles,The Wailers , HotChip. Calvin Harris

Saturday : Kassidy, Cast, Glasvegas, Echo and The Bunnymen, Charlatans

Sunday : Jake Bugg, Candi Staton, The Shamen, Happy Mondays, Richard Ashcroft, Kasabian

I know, I know, I know that we`ve already had the Kasabian are too big discussion BUT I`m basing this on the fact that they have headlined T and Reading / Leeds 2012 and as a hard working band, where else are they going to play. They aint going to get a headline slot at Glastonbury surely. I also think they are the type of big ticket sellers that the organisers are looking to book as they look to expand - another arguement altogether.

If Lippy`s right and they secure Jimmy Cliff then for me nothing else matters.

Sunday : Jake Bugg, Candi Staton, The Shamen, Happy Mondays, Richard Ashcroft, Kasabian

I know, I know, I know that we`ve already had the Kasabian are too big discussion BUT I`m basing this on the fact that they have headlined T and Reading / Leeds 2012 and as a hard working band, where else are they going to play. They aint going to get a headline slot at Glastonbury surely. I also think they are the type of big ticket sellers that the organisers are looking to book as they look to expand - another arguement altogether.

Richard Ashcroft would make a good headline act, seen him several times playing solo as well as with the verve and enjoyed all the sets ive seen, certainly a decent back catalogue thats well enough known to get a good reaction from the masses.

The Kasabian issues a whole different ball game, i know they played rockness which has a capacity of around 35k, the capacity for kendal next year will be around 17k including staff and bands, i cant imagine the revenue generated from the crowd being enough to even dream about getting Kasabian to headline and if they did i would imagine theyd have a budget of a fiver to book the remainder of the card, The best idea is to spread the cost over the card and book stages with strength in depth to attract an audience that will be spread over different stages in the venue Unless Kendal manage to slip another 20 to 25k people in to the venue its not gonna happen for a long long time, maybes in years to come and with less popularity as theyre sliding down the scale they may appear.

You were at Wickerman, and apart from the top 3 to 4 acts on the main stage the rest of the card was pretty weak, to me that shows where a majority of the budget went, this became pretty obvious when you wandered around the tents mid to late afternoon to acts that were playing to 30 people, even the main stage was pretty empty until after 7pm. As good as they may have been the 4th and 5th from top on the main stage one day were Bis and Skerryvore, maybes its my ignorance but id heard of neither and couldnt imagine them being the main reason people went to the festival.

Id go with ........

Two Door Cinema Club

Primal Scream

Courteeners

Impossible to get Kasabian, way way way out of their budget. Think people like Jake Bugg and King Charles will be up there near headlining and they willl as always have a strong dance stage lineup.

Cant wait for next year already, really not fussed that Im missing Leeds Fest this year as Kendal has got me now.

Ehhh does this mean you will driving past the birth place of rab c and avoiding wickerman jumping the wall and joining us in the valley of milk and honey ?

If so I salute you! And I like your shamen suggestion , hopefully they won't clash with a 90s washed up indie band and me and ramragon can get our stomp on and throw some shapes to ,move any mountain !

Keeping it Scottish how about deacon blue.?

I`m keeping my options open sir. I think Deacon Blue will headline Wickerman after Texas this year. Biffy surely will be doing the 20th T so you may be right with Primal Scream for Kendal. Jocks everywhere !

I agree with everything said on my cider induced Kasabian prediction BUT I`m sticking to it ( Kasabian not the cider ). Saw them in Glasgow a couple of years back and it was a great night but..... as has been said their appearance at Kendal could/ would be a disaster and in theory they are too big a name. I just think the organisers in their quest to expand may see them as a big ticket mover ( which they would be ) and may gamble everything in the pursuit of the $$$.