Arcadia 2013, and Bestival preview at BoomTown

Guest 5co77ie

Having just got back from BoomTown and seen the Arcadia treats Pip Rush Jansen and Bertie Cole promised in my interview with them here:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/boomtown/2012/interview-arcadia.shtml

That's the big spider that was at Glastonbury last year?

Yes, but we are taking that structure on to another level. We are changing it around, and we have some quite exciting modifications we are going to make to it. We've also got a new show, with new people in, and we've kind of gone down a more ravy route with the show this year. We went a bit more theatrical last year, which was a good experience, but didn't really work so well with a raving crowd. So, we're definitely going back to the party this year.

I hear you have the largest fire art in the world coming this year from Burning Man?

I think so, it's certainly the largest we've ever seen. There are two pieces coming over. One is a massive fireball, which is absolutely huge, that sends a big mushroom cloud up into the sky, that's been working out in the Nevada desert, at Burning Man for a while but nobody has ever done it in a festival environment. We're currently working on the logistics of that, and it will be at BoomTown and Bestival.

Then on a more creative tip, we are also bringing a fire tornado, which is a man made tornado created by lots of high powered wind generators, and then a bunch of guys in heat proof suits will walk into the tornado with hoses which are full of liquid and gas, and they light it and pump it into the tornado. As the heat and the tornado mix together they get faster and faster, and more rapid, and it looks really beautiful. It should be really exciting.

I never spend as much time at Arcadia as I'd like to, so I'm looking forward to checking it out at Bestival.

I remember seeing the flamethrower type thing when walking into the late night area of Glasto last year and thinking it looked like what I imagine the end of the world to be (in a good way). Amazing what they can do with fire.