Festival Search

eFestivals Camping Store

Recent Topics

Photo

Pop up tent-recommendations please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cjm

Cjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hi, this is my 7th V Festival, but I've always been hopeless at putting tents up lol.
This year I'm having to go on my own on the Fri (my friend is working till the evening),
so will be putting both tents up. I know we've left it pretty late, but don't fancy putting our normal tents up,
so we're going to buy two pop up tents.
Can anyone recommend any decent, but affordable pop-up tents please?
Ones that can stand a little bit of rain, as we know what the weather is like at V lol.
I've read some reviews on Argos, but they all seem to leak.
Thanks people.

#2 StuartG20

StuartG20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

Hi mate I was in a similar position, going to be arriving a bit later than normal and could not be bothered setting. Tent up but wanted a decent non leaking/ condensation tent I was recommended Quechua 2 seconds 2 range supposed to be pretty good I've just bought one but I spent about 60-70 on mine but their are some much cheaper one that have good reviews 2

#3 Pothuthic

Pothuthic

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

I've bought a pop up tent for V Festival, It's my first ever festival so it's gonna be a learning curve for me

#4 Indie53

Indie53

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:06 AM

I'd recommend a double skinned tent

#5 footix2

footix2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

Single skin should be fine as long as it has a HH rating higher than 2000. Spend a little but more to ensure you get a decent level of waterproofness

The Gelert Quickpitch range is very good

You don't want to spend too much, as depending on your Monday hangover, you might not ba arsed taking it home.

#6 thetime

thetime

lives in a field

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,304 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

I bought this one for the summer from halfords, Ive had a few pop up tents and is by far the best. Cost me 55 quid in the spring but now is only 40 quid. Double skinned and lots of room.

http://www.halfords....yId_236909#tab1

#7 tjamest

tjamest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

Definitely reccomend Quechua - Mines done Reading 08, Leeds 09, Bestival 09,11, Lamer tree 10, Glastonbury 11 with no problems what so ever.

#8 Cjm

Cjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Thanks for the recommendations.
In the end it boiled down to money and I spent £24.99 on a Regatta 2 man pop up tent which has since gone back up to £49.99, from Argos.
Anyone know if these tents are ok?
The spec is this::

• 1 room, 2 windows, 2 air vents with sewn in groundsheet.
  • Hydrostatic head 2000mm.
  • Fire retardant, single skin with taped seams.
  • Carry bag supplied.
  • Overall size H95, W120, L220cm.
  • Packed size L68, W10, D10cm.
  • Packed weight 1.8kg.

#9 footix2

footix2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

It'll be fine at 2000HH. I nearly bought one myself earlier in the year.

#10 Couchy

Couchy

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

Regatta do the worst branded pop up tents, they are flimsy & shake a lot in a slight breeze so can't be well put together. I can't comment on leakage.

Quechua are great. Well put together but not cheap. Can't comment on leakage but no one I know has had any problems.

Gelert are great for the price. The Quickdraw & Quickpitch vary slightly, one has more vents which is good to reduce condensation build up after sleeping. Cheap, relatively well put together & are waterproof (I've never had a problem with 5+ two man tents I've owned).

Eurohike do a range called Flash. Brilliant tents as they are double skinned & the Flash III easily accommodates 2 + bags + crates. Well put together but expensive & hard to find.

As with most other tents, I tent to halve the amount of people the company says the tent can hold to get the realistic size of accommodation. I was tempted by the cheap deals Argos & Tesco were doing on pop up tents but decided to stick with my trust worthy Cath Kidston Eurohike.

#11 tjamest

tjamest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

Blacks are now doing a Vango popup 3 man with a porch area for £50.00, reduced from £100 which looks good

#12 Couchy

Couchy

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:27 PM

Vango's are expensive tents, never come across one at a festival.

#13 shiyuyi999991

shiyuyi999991

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

The Gelert Quickpitch range is very goodPosted Image

#14 Essex_George

Essex_George

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

Vango's are expensive tents, never come across one at a festival.

I paid 50 for my Vango pop up 5 years ago, done Glasto 3 times including last year when it didn't stop raining for 2 days! Never had a problem with it and I have seen loads of Vango tents at festivals.

#15 AiiShotTheDJ

AiiShotTheDJ

Festival Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

Regatta do the worst branded pop up tents, they are flimsy & shake a lot in a slight breeze so can't be well put together. I can't comment on leakage.

As with most other tents, I tent to halve the amount of people the company says the tent can hold to get the realistic size of accommodation. I was tempted by the cheap deals Argos & Tesco were doing on pop up tents but decided to stick with my trust worthy Cath Kidston Eurohike.

I was a casuatly of this recently. Bought a 3 man tent from Argos, didn't test it, went to pitch it and I swear, it was TINY. It could barely get my and my partner in with all our bags, it had no porch and when it rained we had to sit and freeze in a tent we couldn't move it. Plus, when you unzipped the zip, all the water fell on to the netting some how. That was a Coleman 3 weekend tent - don't do it to yourself!